• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
scotzman

Rental Players...

Rate this topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=2775004

I can see this whole "rental" thing becoming a thorn in the side of many NHL teams if they don't do something about it soon. This is half the reason we don't want to part with picks and young guys developing... Guerin or Bertuzzi could just walk right back to their former team and losing all those assets is not worth it.

I dont understand what the big deal is. The team trading for a Bertuzzi or a Weight very well knows that they can go right back to their old team at the end of the season. It's a risk/reward scenario. Carolina got a Cup out of Weight, I don't think they're that angry that he didn't re-sign.

I dont understand what the big deal is. The team trading for a Bertuzzi or a Weight very well knows that they can go right back to their old team at the end of the season. It's a risk/reward scenario. Carolina got a Cup out of Weight, I don't think they're that angry that he didn't re-sign.

You're absolutely right, of course. Just some dipstick trying to cook up controversy. No need for anything to be changed.

I actually agree with scotzman about this. The fact that you can give up SO much for a rental player and then have him not even give your team a chance to have him resigned in the post season... well it's just rediculous. There needs to be some sort of stipulation on going back to former teams the next season. If teams trading these players know this, they can take full advantage and the team trading gets screwed. If it is known that the player is planning on coming back to old team, there should be a decrease in the price being asked.

Guest Crymson

I can see this whole "rental" thing becoming a thorn in the side of many NHL teams if they don't do something about it soon. This is half the reason we don't want to part with picks and young guys developing... Guerin or Bertuzzi could just walk right back to their former team and losing all those assets is not worth it.

I'll go with Budget or Enterprise. No way will I take Hertz--they should change their name to Hurts. "Not exactly," my ass.

The problem is, it's going to be very tough to implement rules to prevent "rental" players.

well I really have no problems with players returning to their old team, as has been mentioned it's known that they might leave after the season is over, so I think the team trading for a rental player has to be concerned with that, but as was mentioned with Weight, Carolina got a cup out of the deal, and as such probably a lot of revenue that they might not have received otherwise. I for one though find it funny that we have a salary cap now and in years past people would complain about the wings buying players...and maybe we did, but we had an owner willing to take the risk on paying for big name guys who wanted to win, and we've done so consistently. Now with the salary cap it seems the teams that we're supposed to be protected by the cap are the ones making the crazy deals where they sell the farm to get one big name. I just find it strange that now the wings are the ones waiting to pull the trigger because the price is too high........

What I think it might show is that the Wings organization's management and ownership is very smart, and we know how to win with the talent we have without breaking the bank....and all these years it's been said we paid for championships....well I hope everyone is taking note because we still don't have the huge payroll like years past and are still just as competitive. I love it!!