• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Rookies Unlikely to Play on Second Line

Rate this topic

Link

Whatever they do, the Wings must get some production out of their second line, which will be without Dan Cleary for three-to-four weeks (sprained knee ligament). Robert Lang has two goals and no assists in his last 17 games and Jason Williams has four goals and one assist in his last 18 games.

"We need way more out of them,'' coach Mike Babcock said. "We got to find a way to make it happen. Right now we need more balance, and we haven't been getting it.''

Babcock filled Cleary's spot with Johan Franzen during Saturday's 4-3 overtime loss in Nashville. He said he doesn't plan on trying rookies Valtteri Filppula or Jiri Hudler on the second line for any extended period. And he also has no designs on breaking up his red-hot top line of Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom.

Disappointing. I guess Babs is willing to persist with Lang and Williams hoping they will turn it around...

Hopefully post-deadline, the 2nd line doesn't consist of Lang/Williams.

Well as the article suggests, I highly doubt we’re going to bring in anything more than a 3rd or 4th line physical player with limited scoring abilities. The price for rentals is just too high for Holland.

So therefore Lang and Williams will remain on the second line. I don’t see the harm in giving Huds and Flip a chance on a scoring line, but I guess Babcock has faith the current line will turn things around.

Guest ZetterBurger40

Well as the article suggests, I highly doubt we’re going to bring in anything more than a 3rd or 4th line physical player with limited scoring abilities. The price for rentals is just too high for Holland.

So therefore Lang and Williams will remain on the second line. I don’t see the harm in giving Huds and Flip a chance on a scoring line, but I guess Babcock has faith the current line will turn things around.

Oh, sorry- my crystal ball is broken, but I'm glad to see that yours is still working. As we see every year, prices for players fluctuate in the week leading up to the deadline, often bottoming out the night before/day of. Also, even though it might not occur to LGW'ers, there are other players that could land in Detroit besides the three that are repeatedly mentioned in every other thread on this forum- maybe Holland won't make a move, maybe he'll land a 4th liner, maybe he'll pull a big trade- time will tell.

I'm definitely no NHL coach, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The 2nd line just is not working. If it weren't for injuries, it'd probably stay completely intact, that's the perception I get.

I don't think Flipper or Rex are the greatest things since sliced bread, but I think it's at least worth a shot to give them some more PT. Didn't Lang and Rex play some on the same line earlier this season?

I utterly can't stand why he does this. Please, I really hope come deadline time Williams is GONE. This so called second line is so bad. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they moved Lang too.

I have to ask: How does Babcock expect any production out of Hudler and Filppula when they usually (if lucky) play about 3 minutes a period? What could be so bad about playing them on the second line? It can't be any worse then the Lang/Williams combo that does nothing every night. I can't believe he doesn't see that Hudler and Filppula play pretty good when they get ice time. And now to really throw the book, he gives Franzen the second line spot. Franzen? What offense does he bring? I'm sure Hudler and Filppula have just as many, if not more, points than Franzen. I totally disagree with Babcock on this one.

OH FOR f***S SAKE..

look were in the playoffs already...we're not going to f*** it up, we only need a few more wins to be guaranteed.

whats the harm in trying it, it's obvious that whats happening at the moment isn't working. Hudlers got probably the best shot on the whole team.

GIVE HIM A CHANCE!

Guest LivingtheDream

As I learned from less than stable girlfriends past, when things don't make sense their is no reason other than the person is nuts. Babcock is not playing this right. It is hi time to make some changes and let someone else prove themselves. If he is sticking with Lang and Wiliams what is he doing with them other than hoping it will magically turn around?

I bet any poster dollars to donuts that Williams/Lang/Cleary will not be the #2 line come April. Simple logic would tell you....

1. Samuelsson's return automatically means Williams is done.

2. I dont care who the Wings grab in a trade, whether it be Guerin or a guy like Zednik...that guy will be given a shot.

3. Babcock may like Franzen up there and decide to keep him there.

Regardless, there is almost NO chance that line stays in tact by the time Round 1 starts.

I bet any poster dollars to donuts that Williams/Lang/Cleary will not be the #2 line come April. Simple logic would tell you....

1. Samuelsson's return automatically means Williams is done.

2. I dont care who the Wings grab in a trade, whether it be Guerin or a guy like Zednik...that guy will be given a shot.

3. Babcock may like Franzen up there and decide to keep him there.

Regardless, there is almost NO chance that line stays in tact by the time Round 1 starts.

Don't be so sure. This is the time of the year that Babcock makes his decisions as to how things will be in the playoffs. :P

Filppula may not start and finish the game on the 2nd line but he'll still continue to see games where he reaches the 15+ minute mark. Hudler is going to stay under 12mins a game.