• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

Wings acquire Kyle Calder in 3-way deal

Rate this topic

Just an observation, Calder wore #19 in Philly...

Sorry Kyle, but that wont happen in Detroit. lol

Any guesses on what number he'll wear here?

Most likely the Wings will unretire #19 for the remainder of the 2007 season, then re-retire it in the summer.

Add me to the list of people happy about this trade. I don't see any downside.

Both Calder and Williams are struggling badly this season. Calder just plays on a crappy team, so it makes it that much worse. Both players should benefit from the change in scenery.

Worse case scenariio, Calder doesn't pan out. Big deal! It's not like Williams was contributing anyway. Add in the fact that we free up cap space for next year and it makes it even that much better.

Bruce Macleod posted this at RWC:

Just got off the phone with Holland. Here's a quick quote from him about the trade ...

"It was a tough deal to make because Willie was a real good player for us last year," said Detroit general manager Ken Holland. "Kyle Calder had a great year a year ago with Chicago. He was having a tough year in Philadelphia. The thing we like about Calder … Jason (Williams) has more speed and skill … Calder is a different player. He's gritty. He forechecks. He's on the puck. He goes to the corners. He goes to the front of the net. We think Calder can help us out."

Sounds good to me.

Say what you want, this is a good trade. Calder brings a lot of energy to the lineup, and a hell of a lot more than Williams. You don't know how glad I am to see Williams gone now.

Calder was a great player last year, and I feel he'll be a great contributor on the second line. Good job Kenny, I like this trade. :clap:

3-way trade announced on Habs game radio broadcast.

PHI gets prospect D Lasse Kukkonen

DET gets Kyle Calder

CHI gets Jason Williams

Sorry if you already heard.

Hallelujia!!!!

Here's to JW and the suckers that wanted him!

I'm shocked that we got someone as good as Calder for him. He's a great addition and should help Robert Lang and our 2nd line greatly!

Good job Kenny H. So long JW. May you turn pucks over and miss empty nets for the Blackhawks. But seriously, good luck.

good trade, though calders stats dont impress me.....then then again jwills stats didn't impress me either

Calder was having a very bad year in Philly but so was everyone else. Trust me, this guy is a 25+ goal scorer with some grit. With the right centre and guys around him he could easily return to a 25 or 30 goal scoring clip. He did it with the Hawks and they have nobody compared to the Wings.

Edited by Hank

Bruce Macleod posted this at RWC:

Sounds good to me.

See, now reading that gets my blood pressure up. Why? Because that almost makes it sound like Holland is selling this as the deal the Wings needed to make. As if it's the only one they need to make. Technically, he can say he added a top six forward, since the guy he replaced, Williams, played on the second line (for reasons nobody can understand).

But now he's trying to sell Calder as "gritty?" That's stretching it, especially when you consider he's under 6 foot and weighs in at about 175 lbs.

Williams is an arrogant ass and I'm glad to see him gone. The second line couldn't get any colder if Kenny signed a penguin so I'm willing to give Calder the benefit, considering he had good stats last year and played in Philly this year.

I hope this isn't the only deal. I mean I'm glad we actually made a deal.

But Calder for Williams? Calder has 9 goals and 12 assists. +/- means nothing because he was on Philly, but if he is such a grit player, how come he only has 36 PIM's?

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing as BlueMonk after reading what Holland said. As much as maybe I like this deal, it can't be the only deal. Adding Kyle Calder will not get the Red Wings over the hump by any means. It's a nice addition, I suppose, but there better be something else coming, especially with guys like Guerin and Bertuzzi sitting around the night before deadline day.

I flicked on the Sports station, and on the ticker I saw "To Chicago: Jason Williams." At first I thought, wow, this is too good to be true, it must be Miami Heat's Williams going to the Bulls. Nope, J-Willy on the move!

He was a good guy, just needed to go.

I flicked on the Sports station, and on the ticker I saw "To Chicago: Jason Williams." At first I thought, wow, this is too good to be true, it must be Miami Heat's Williams going to the Bulls. Nope, J-Willy on the move!

He was a good guy, just needed to go.

I would have been happy if Willy was traded for anyone with or without a pulse.

I watched Calder play a few times and he was one of the few guys on the flyers with any energy.

I am pleased. I did cartwheels. I called several friends.

That was because Willy was gone...I don't know what kind of bet Babs lost with Willy, but Willy on the point was just silly.

It was like some weird truth or dare consequence.

Since Willy got clocked he's been real timid. Calder will mix it up from time to time.

Good trade

Is it the last? I don't know.

It's better than standing pat with Willy on the point.

Our power play just got better by the omission of Willy.

That's AWSOME. :thumbup: