• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tunbo Batman

Quote summing up the Leaf's attitude as a whole

Rate this topic

Guest Tunbo Batman

"There's only one hockey town, there's only one great fan; that's the Toronto Maple Leaf fan,"said long-time Maple Leafs executive Bill Watters, who is now a radio and television analyst. "Forty years [since their last Cup win]. Forty years. And you still need a search warrant to find an empty seat."

thats a quote taken out of context, (see full article below), but I brought it here because i think it synthesizes the Leafs fan's attitude perfectly : we never win anything, but we are the best anyway, and we are entitled to everyone's adulation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2773591

"Forty years [since their last Cup win]. Forty years. And you still need a search warrant to find an empty seat."

That's not something to brag about. It's complete stupidity on Leaf fans part. If they're sick of the losing, then hit management where it hurts, the wallet.

Well, in defense of the leafs. You can't throw a dart and hit an empty seat at ACC unlike the Joe. At least leaf fans show up when the team isn't all that great, unlike the Joe where even when we are winning people don't show up. Don't use the suits argument either cause the leafs have the same problem. Only their suits are better than our suits.

That's not something to brag about. It's complete stupidity on Leaf fans part. If they're sick of the losing, then hit management where it hurts, the wallet.

Thats not really true. Look at Chicago People didn't go to games for years and they still did nothing because of their cheap owner. And last I heard more people go to Wolves games then Hawks games. How sad is that?

Guest Tunbo Batman

raise your hand those who would like toronto's only good player in a wings uniform?

Hey, they have to find some way to complement themselves right?

:D

How? There hasn't been an unsold seat since 1946.....

People will not give up their season's tickets (that have probably been in their family for generations) because they will never, ever get them back.

Corporations will never give up their seats, because it's a big, fat tax write-off and it's "the place" to be seen in Toronto, which is huge with the yuppie crowd. Besides, MLSE would make sure that they don't get their seats back if they give them up.

It's easy to say "don't go to the games and things will change", but it's impossible. The sheer demand for the product means they will always make mountains of money, though not as much lately, since they will miss the playoffs for the second-straight season.

At least Fergie did what he does best today, he screwed up. He didn't make the team any better and they will miss the playoffs because of it. He will be fired because of it. They will finally get a real GM because of it, simply by the prescedent set by the Raptors and their new-found success this year.

If you think that the owners don't want to win, you are dead wrong. More success means more money. More ad revenue through game advertising and rink-board ads, higher broadcasting fees and more of those highly-regarded playoff gates.

It's not that they don't want to win, but they have non-hockey people like Dick Peddie and Larry Tanenbaum getting in the way of hockey operations. That will change when the new GM gets the "Colangelo Clause".

They will have to get an experienced, savy general manager for the Leafs because that's what they did with the Raptors and it worked. They've backed themselves into a corner in that regard.

It's going to be an interesting spring at 40 Bay St.

Edited by MacK_Attack

I actually agree with that quote. I think that's what being a true fan is. Yes, even though their team sucks, really bad by the way, they are still in love with them. I just hope I could say the same thing about Wings fans if we were ever bad, although we've been top five in the league for a solid decade and a half now. I think it's pretty cute, almost like having a crush on a fat girl because she has a good personality...... always looking at the positives.

You know what, hate Leaf fans for what they are, but God willing, one day they will win the Stanley Cup (they have to fluke it at least once, right? right?), and you won't be able to say "Well, they only show up because their team is good now."

This is a team that goes beyond a fanbase. It's a culture, a religion.

"In Toronto, there's only three things that matter: Family, going to church on Sunday, and the Toronto Maple Leafs." - Wayne Gretzky

There IS only one Hockeytown, and its at JLA in Detroit. Sheesh, those Leafs steel everything ----> Hockeytown, Raycroft stole Razor from Emery, and what else...................................

Minnesota tried to declare themselves "Hockey State" when they were recently added. :lol: