• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agalloch

My trade deadline grade for Mr. Kenneth H. Holland.

Rate this topic

Guest Agalloch

I don't know what his actual middle initial is, but it doesn't matter.

Trade 1: Jason WIlliams for Kyle Calder - A+

He got rid of Jason Williams. Not only that, but he got an energy guy that will go to the corners and grind it out to get the puck out. How can you not give this an A+? WILLIAMS IS GONE!

Trade 2: Random prospect I don't know (Shawn something) + conditional pick - A+

Got one of my favorite players in the NHL for next to nothing. We finally have someone that will hit hard, fight, and score goals as well. He also sounded very happy to be here. I can't wait to see him on the ice. Also, some people think he and Chelios won't get along... let's not forget that Cheli himself suggested a week ago that Holland get Bertuzzi.

Overall: A+ of course.

I love you Kenny. I doubted you at first, but you really got it done.

Although initial reactions were negative on the Williams trade, I believe that it will be good for Williams in Chicago. I also think that Calder will do well here.

The Bertuzzi trade was the next option after losing Guerin to San Jose. This will really help us come playoff time.

EDIT: Are this trades enough to help us win the Cup? No. I do feel, though, that if we re-sign Bertuzzi after this summer and bring back Lapointe we will make a serious run next year. (All of this is 'In My Humble Opinion')

Edited by Manny4Prez

Guest Crymson

Although initial reactions were negative on the Williams trade, I believe that it will be good for Williams in Chicago. I also think that Calder will do well here.

The Bertuzzi trade was the next option after losing Guerin to San Jose. This will really help us come playoff time.

EDIT: Are this trades enough to help us win the Cup? No. I do feel, though, that if we re-sign Bertuzzi after this summer and bring back Lapointe we will make a serious run next year. (All of this is 'In My Humble Opinion')

I don't quite get you, because:

A) You are already re-judging that the Wings will not win the cup.

B) You see Martin Lapointe, a terrible forward who costs $2.4m and already has a contract for next year, as a key to our cup success.

Edited by Crymson

Right now i would give him about a B-. Once Bertuzzi hits the ice and plays in a game it will go up to an A.

Ahh a Conditional Grade to go along with the Conditional Pick.... I like it, I like it.

I give Holland an A-

I never doubted him, even while all the naysayers around here keep on bitching relentlessly like it's going to get them somewhere. I knew and still know that Holland is a good GM. People don't understand what goes into his position and htat's not NHL 2K7 trading and signing. I have faith in this organization and it has never changed.

LET'S GO WINGS!!!! I'm excited to see Calder play tonight too!

Are this trades enough to help us win the Cup? No. I do feel, though, that if we re-sign Bertuzzi after this summer and bring back Lapointe we will make a serious run next year. (All of this is 'In My Humble Opinion')

The remark regarding LaPointe does not deserve any comments.

A F&$*ING +

We got Bertuzzi for basically nothing...we got rid of Jason Williams and got a decent energy guy who has shown he can put the puck in the net. The only way this could have been better, is if Mr. Holland put Bob Probert in time machine and switched it back 15 years, then signed him, and possibly trading Lilja straight up for Ryan Smyth.

EDIT: I realize what I said about Probert doesn't make sense, because he would be stuck in 1992, but work with me here people.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

-31 is pretty bad....although the flyers suck...that is still....bad

williams was gr8 shootoutplayer ... im guessing but I think we are still below 50 % in shootouts? it's too bad we hate so many of our players ... i mean, how many people STILL hate osgood? - weren't most of you glad to see him leave?

grabbing bertuzzi .... how can you give this an A+ ? what are you grading this by? His past play.....well, his past isn't that great -

I think the trades were terrible as it was "best we could get at the time" ..... and thats it

Besides the subject....I do feel very confident we will do fairly well this playoff run - I see us getting past the first round atleast .... and in no way will these trades help us at all. But we'll see.

williams was gr8 shootoutplayer ... im guessing but I think we are still below 50 % in shootouts? it's too bad we hate so many of our players ... i mean, how many people STILL hate osgood? - weren't most of you glad to see him leave?

He WAS a good shootout player. he hasn't scored a single shoot out goal this year. I say good riddance and good luck in chicago.

Guest king_eight

.... and in no way will these trades help us at all. But we'll see.

Why even say anything? Go waste someone else's time with your crap....

Why even say anything? Go waste someone else's time with your crap....

Just my insight ... you don't have to listen to it ... but thanks for registering just to let me know how you feel and sharing such a great thought with us. :clap:

Just my insight ... you don't have to listen to it ... but thanks for registering just to let me know how you feel and sharing such a great thought with us. :clap:

I dont see how anyone can say these trades are terrible. We basically got a good speed guy with goal scoring talent and gave up a similar guy who wasnt getting it done. If he sucks, big deal, his contract is up after this season and we dont have to pay Willy next season.

We got a guy who was once the biggest force in the league, he's had problems since then, but those are behind him and he's fixed his back....and we gave up next to nothing.

Even if they do nothing, we're out nothing. The potential is amazing.

I say A-. We got the physical power forward type we needed, got an energy guy, got rid of Williams and his salary, and re-worked our struggling second line. The only other thing that could have been done would be to move lilja somehow, but only because eating that 1.2mil he's due next year could suck if we cant trade him during the offseason. He's a good depth guy til then.

I'd say A-.

Holland did an excellent job with the limited resources. He gave up almost nothing and got two players that may significantly upgrade our squad in the grit/speed/size departments. He revamped our second line. Virtually no risk, all reward. I would've liked to see a third or fourth line type that can physically punish guys, but prices were crazy. I wouldn't have wanted to see Holland deal a second rounder for Mayers.

Even if they do nothing, we're out nothing. The potential is amazing.

Yup, that's what it comes down to.

There's a couple of other things to consider here with these trades as well.

First, Willy was a painsy before Torres knocked him out, but at least then he was a painsy with decent hands, some speed and confidence. After the Torres hit he became an uber-painsy, a *****-extrordinaire who was afraid to engage in physical play and whose confidence had deteriorated to the point where he couldn't have hit water if he fell out a boat. Getting rid of him is a huge boost to the whole team's confidence level. Bringing in Calder, who by all acount will hit and will go into the corners and who also has a 26 goal NHL season under his belt is just a bonus; the real plus is getting rid of Willy. Never again will I have to watch this puss bobble the puck on the blue line during our PP and have it lead to a 2 on 1.

Secondly, the Bertuzzi trade (if you can call it a trade, we didn't really "trade" so much as just agree to take him) shows the whole team that management really feels like we have a shot at the Cup this year and that Bert was the "missing piece". We wanted size, grit, toughness, and scoring, and we wanted all that in one player... basically we wanted Shanny about 10 years ago. Look around the NHL and tell me how many players like that there are? I think we got the only true Neely/Shannahan/Nolan type power forward left in the league. Yes, he's not 100%, but there had to be some risk involved to land a guy who is this big/mean/nasty/talented for basically.... nothing.

I think that the true value these two trades will have is the effect it will have on the rest of the team. If you're in that dressing room today in Chicago and you look around and say "wow, we already have Lids, Z, Dats, Schneids... and today we ADDED Bert and DUMPED Willy!"; that's got to be a huge boost to your team's confidence. Everyone will feel a little taller and few pounds heavier when Bert's on the team.

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

Ive been a fan for my entire 22 years of life. And I agree. This is an absolute A+ job. I personally would have been very content if we would have only got Calder. But to snag Bertuzzi the next day and only losing 1 role player in the entire process? Outstanding to say the least. Great Job Kenny! Go Red Wings!

A+.

A+ is a perfect rating. Holland exceeded all expectations. It's practically like he read the LGW to see what he should do. He fit every little need, which wasn't much, but it was important. With J-Willy stuggling, the best thing he could do for him and the team was give him a new scenery, in exchange for a very solid 2nd to 3rd line player in Kyle Calder.

He managed to fit out other very, very important need by killing two birds with one stone in both grit and a scoring winger by getting Bertuzzi. He got Bertuzzi while at the same time making it a concern for the team's future. He gave up Mattias, who is a very, very promising young kid who I would have loved to see in the future, and a conditional pick. I'm not complaining though, he gave up the bare minimum to get Bert.

Holland couldn't have done better. This deadline day is the turning point of Holland's reputation around here. He made every fan in Detroit happy, and me, as happy as can be.

A+ for Holland, for the absolute perfect deadline performance.

i like todays trades because it really seems like (assuming everyone stays healthy) the wings can set up 4 solid lines that can play hard and put points on the board.

granted, this team doesnt have hull, shanny, luc, yzerman, fedorov and it is not the 2002 team, but the fact that that team rolled 4 solid lines all day long was a big factor in why it excelled in the playoffs.