• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chelios4eva

Why do Blues fans hate the Redwings so much?

Rate this topic

http://letsgoblues.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21448

This was in a blues forum talking about Bertuzzi going to the wings and ALL I read was trash talking. Now I was born in the 90s and I'm pretty sure there was some rivalry with the Blues in the early 90s (I read some things) but do they still hate detroit from there? I mean even Colorado doesn't hate us with that much of a passion. Granted, on the Avs forum there topic read "Another reason for us to hate Detroit" but the posters only said things like "Will this spark another rivalry", or "I can't wait to boo him when we play the wings", but never too much trash talk. I have never read our posters talking bad about the Blues and NEVER suspected that they were anything more than "Divion Rivals", which is nothing cause we beat them most of the time, but they really hate us with a passion. Why? Is it because of the Yzerman goal and they just can't let go of the past?

Because no matter how good they were this past decade they played the role as our *****. It's as simple as that, division rivals always hate succsessful teams.

Because the Blues had 26 straight playoff apperance, with ZERO stanley cups to show for it. And the Redwings have been the most consistently successful franchise in the league for the past 15 years. Adding in that they've been in the same division forever just compounds the difference in success as a franchise.

it's the type of hatred that comes from jealousy and envy. All of us who are fans of other teams who oppose the Redwings feel it. Same way that fans of the Red Sox, Indians and others feel about the Yankees, or how Knicks fans felt about the Bulls. They hate the Wings because they're the best.

Guest DetroitBoy313

You guys say what you want about Blues fans hating us but I seriously think NOONE hates us more than Blackhawks fans.OMG,if you to chicagoblackhawks.com they can't even call us Detroit it's always Detroilet or something stupid,they despise us.

I can tell you first hand that the Blues fans hate the Red Wings because of all the playoff loses in the mid-90's. Most of my friends here in St. Louis hate how the Wings constantly get better. We grabbed two of their favorite players and turned them into champions and one of the most hated defensemen in Blues history (Chelios). Every offseason before the cap I would always hear about how the Red Wings keep getting all the good free agents. Their hate does not stem from just one thing but many things. I personally attribute a good majority to the Yzerman goal because he stole the puck from the Great One (which he only played for a half a season with the Blues) and crushed all of their hopes and dreams. I can still remember reading the news papers before that game 7, all of them thought the Blues had us beat. One of the headlines read "Dead Wings"

Overall The Red Wings organization is just head and shoulders above the Blues and that is what really gets to Blues fans.

You guys say what you want about Blues fans hating us but I seriously think NOONE hates us more than Blackhawks fans.OMG,if you to chicagoblackhawks.com they can't even call us Detroit it's always Detroilet or something stupid,they despise us.

Yeah, Chicago fans have more hate. The Blues at least have been a playoff team forever, even without any Cups to show for it. The Hawks have been terrible, and their last Cup came in 1961, so they're especially pissed off. The Hawks fans cheer "Detroit Sucks!" during games when the Wings aren't even in the arena. That's some deep hate there.

Guest Tunbo Batman

as a sidenote, I am a Blues fan...and I don't hate the Wings :P but I realize I'm the minority here. all the above points are true. you can't beat up on someone all the time and expect them not to hate you.

but since the Toronto rivalry is over, the Blues rivalry is over, and now the Avs rivalry is over, I think we're ready for a new division rival *wink wink*

The Blues have had nothing to show for themselves the last 25 years when they made the playoffs all those years straight. Not to mention they have not made it to a Stanley Cup Final since the 60's, and didn't win then either.

Edit: Do the Blues fans come here just when we mention them? I see a few of them viewing this topic right now.

Edited by Kp-Wings

We beat the Blues in the playoffs in 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2002.

I figure most opposing fans hate us. Despite some early playoffs exits the last few years, we're the best. We've been the best since 1991-92, with no signs of slowing down.

2006-07 was susposed to be a rebuilding year, then end of an era. However currently we're the 3rd best team in the League and just reloaded for the playoffs and only gave up Williams, Matthias, and conditional draft pick(s). Kenny pretty much outsmarted every other team, didn't mortage the future, and made us one of the front runners for the Stanley Cup again.

We grabbed two of their favorite players and turned them into champions

I don't know why but it took me a while to think of them both. I got Hull right away, but Shanny took a bit of thinking. I sometimes forget Shanny played for the Blues.

Edited by Barrie

Probably one of the main reasons Blues fans hate the Red Wings is because of their fans, i.e., just look at some of the posts in this thread. Wings fans glorify and over love themselves so much it is funny.

I've been on both sides. Our Cardinals also have 10 titles, great fan base, and beat DETROIT in the World Series. Nonetheless, I love the Blues too, and hockey in general, which is why I my user name has nothing to do with the Blues. Heck, he was a wings coach.

Wings fans glorify and over love themselves so much it is funny.

We have A LOT to be proud of.

Ted Lindsay said he liked being booed in the opposing team's rinks. I like the fact that opposing team's fans hate us.

You never want the opposition to like you. That just means you're a push over.

I'm pretty sure that the entire Central division has a deep hatred for the Red Wings.

I know living in the Toronto area Leaf fans despise us. :cool: