• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chelios4eva

Why do Blues fans hate the Redwings so much?

Rate this topic

:lol:

I find that very hard to believe. In fact, I don't believe that at all.

Montreal is insane about their hockey.

They have the most passionate and opinionated fans in the NHL.

Monteal has a much, much, much more storied and rich and successfull history than Detroit.

They have a lot to be proud of.

If you are going to bring up "a great legacy" in a debate against a Habs fan, you will lose every time.

I'm bitter?

But if you want to get picky...

Before expansion, winning a cup with only six teams in the league was...well....let me put it this way....

Four teams made the playoffs....if you won in round one, all of a sudden, boom, you were in the finals.

Wow.

Every team that was in what is today wrongly known as, "the original six" has a number of cup victories during that era. That says something.

"Wrongly"? Sounds like all that envy again. In fact, yeah, sounds bitter to me. Original Six is the universally accepted name for the six NHL teams that have been around longer than any other - only somebody who's bitter about having an O6 team as their biggest rival would disparage the name.

It's funny how full of contradictions this post is, anyway. Montreal has a "much much much more storied and rich and successful history" than the Wings? Why's that? More Cups, in the era where winning a Cup with only six teams in the league was......well.......

So which is it? Easy time to win a Cup, or storied legacy?

Anyway, ask Blackhawk and Bruin fans how easy it was to win a Cup in the O6 days. Those would be the teams that prove you wrong about every team having "a number" of Cups. Well, technically, 1 is a number, which is the number of combined Cups the Blackhawks and Bruins have during the six-team days.

I suppose I'll finish with this: If Montreal has a "much much much" better history than the Wings, with 14 more Cups and about 15 more years in existence, what does that say about the Wings-Blues relationship, with the Blues having zero Cups and about 45 fewer years? What it says to me is that a Blues fan has to use the Habs to try and bring down the Wings. Kind of like an Astros fan using the Yankees to bring down the Cardinals. Envy? Bitterness? In spades.

It's rather funny that just because we talk like we're completely awesome, that that automatically means we know nothing about the past history of the Wings....

Another point to make about Wings fans not knowing the past.... If there are fans on this board that don't know much about the past but more about the past 15 years, well maybe they weren't born until the late 80's/early 90's so they have grown up with the spectacular Wings of hte past 15 or so years. I can't say I am one of them, but I would be willing to guess that they are on here and are still learning about the storied franchise that is the Detroit Red Wings.

Get over it Blues, hate on us all you want, but you're not getting yourself anywhere by trying to make us feel poorly because we love our team.

You know...I was reading some of the other team forums, which I dont usually do because who has time for them. Between work, kids and my life I usually could care less about what they have to say. But I was surprised by some of the vitriolic venom spewed forth at some of our players. Particularly Holmstrom and Matlby; I guess I never truly realized how good these guys are at what they do...KUDOS to them. On both the St. Louis (B)lose forum and the divealanch forum there seems to be a hatred that goes beyond normal rationalization. And now throwing Bertuzzi into the mix it becomes downright comical

Oh...and note to self and others... don't get into a pissing contest with betterREDthandead...he will win. I have seen it happen all too often. :clap:

brutus

Edited by brutus

Ya it's funny how the Blues have had some pretty good players over the years and it's never translated into a cup. I can't say I "hate" the Blues or their fans, I'm sure most of them love their team as much as I love the Wings. What I don't understand however, is hating someone for liking a certain team. I mean, you can hate the team because of certain players, coaches, games or incidents, but how can you hate a team's fans? Possibly if you are going to their arena to watch the wings play and their fans treat you poorly, then I guess you've got a case. Overall though, my love/hate for the NHL is for the players and the teams. I couldn't hate a fan just for being a fan....

Thank you. I live about an hour from St. Louis and saw all four games when they played the Wings. During one game I was talking to 4 Blues fans in front of me. They were asking questions about different Wings players, making comments about how talented Zetterberg is. I didn't know them, but we had a lot of fun enjoying the game as hockey fans. I work with many Blues fans and we give each other a hard time, but in a friendly way. Anyone who feels the need to do so much trash talking and be so nasty is just looking for attention and should be ignored.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

So...let me get this straight.

Despite not doing much of anything in the playoffs the past few years...you say the Wings were still the best, eh?

That's pathetic. :lol:

It's one thing to say you are the best when you win the cup....but to say you are the best in years when you don't win the cup?

What are you smoking? :lol:

Wait...you just said you were the best. Now you say you are the 3rd best?

Which is it?

Really? Hmmm...gee...all of the hockey talk on Toronto's Fan590 and XM Home Ice radio haven't mentioned Detroit as the big winners on deadline day.

They are saying the Blues did the most to improve their club.

But hey...I'm just passing along information. Far be it for me to get in the way of a good homer statement.

And FYI, Bertuzzi hasn't done much of anything since the Moore incident. Maybe he'll get his head out of his ass in three weeks when he is able to play....but don't be surprised if he is a big disappointment.

Heh...that doesn't surprise me in the least.

And one more thing...

I hear quite a bit of talk from Wings fans about how Detroit has owned the Blues over the last decade...which is true. But it's funny how the all-time record is never brought up by Wings fans.

As much as Detroit has owned St. Louis over the past 10 years, the Blues still own the lead in the head to head series.

The Wings were the Blues ******* before the 90's.

Just sticking up for my team.

Sue me.

Go Blues.

i'm pretty sure he was saying overall in the past 10 years the wings have been the best, meaning they've consistently been among the top of the league, which is true. even though they haven't gotten it done in the playoffs as of late they've still kicked ass in every regular season in the past 10 years. the dead things weren't the blues ******* before the 90's they were the entire leagues *******.

Do Flames and Oilers fans look at each other and say "I don't get it. What's the big deal?" I don't see the point in cutting down an intra-division rivalry. Some of you guys long for the glory days of playing the Leafs, but you can't relish something that's been developing for 15+ years now? Rivalries make sports fun. Don't pick it apart too much or you'll ruin it.

Yeah, Chicago fans have more hate. The Blues at least have been a playoff team forever, even without any Cups to show for it. The Hawks have been terrible, and their last Cup came in 1961, so they're especially pissed off. The Hawks fans cheer "Detroit Sucks!" during games when the Wings aren't even in the arena. That's some deep hate there.

It doesen't help that there was Detroit chants in Chicago for last nights game. I thought that was pretty cruel the away team is getting more cheer than the home team.

I acutally feel bad for the Blackhawks. and poor poor Nikolai

Edited by WingNutt

The Blues are our *****.........when we need a win, they are always there.

I'm not one for supporting opposing teams, but that comment just doesn't fit. Considering that they've beaten us three times out of six this season, that's not the case at all. Clearly they've given the Wings problems at times, anyone can see that.

Wow cprice12 really unloaded on me :D. Oh well.

One thing I don't understand is why fans go to other team's message boards and get offended. Honestly what do they expect to read? I stay the hell away from opposing team's sites, it's not worth the time or effort to get into an argument. It's pointless, no one wins.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

they hate us because they played 2nd fiddle to us in the division for years. that and the fact the wings have never taken stl seriously

The Blues have fans? FSN Midwest tells a much different story, scanning around Scottrade Center (which MY MISSOURI TAX DOLLARS helped renovate this summer) There's a lot of Blue chairs in that place. No bodies in them, just a lot of empty stands.

The lower bowl is mostly corporate tickets that go unused, and that is what you see on tv. I'm not saying it would be sold out if the corporate tickets would be used, but there would be a lot more fans there.

It's been talked about a lot this year.

I've been to 7 or 8 games this year, and the upper bowl is usually filled or close to it. You don't see the upper bowl on tv.

Attendance has been bad this year, but, to be fair, it has been much better lately.

This happens when teams struggle. It happens in every sport.

You guys should know this better than me. Remember the "Dead Wings" era? You couldn't give away tickets to a Wings game for almost 20 years.

wow, their seriously taking this game way too far. Talking about "organizing the hate", us being an "organization of scumbags".....man. Rarely do I see anyone hit this forum and start talking about how the other teams are a bunch of scumbags and their ***. Thats just lame and immature and frankly, being a soreloser. Props to Wingnut for putting them in their place! :)

The lower bowl is mostly corporate tickets that go unused, and that is what you see on tv. I'm not saying it would be sold out if the corporate tickets would be used, but there would be a lot more fans there.

It's been talked about a lot this year.

I've been to 7 or 8 games this year, and the upper bowl is usually filled or close to it. You don't see the upper bowl on tv.

Attendance has been bad this year, but, to be fair, it has been much better lately.

This happens when teams struggle. It happens in every sport.

You guys should know this better than me. Remember the "Dead Wings" era? You couldn't give away tickets to a Wings game for almost 20 years.

An empty lower bowl happens everywhere, like you said it's the suits who have those seats.

When a team struggles, it's good when seats don't sell. It encourages ownership to win. Just like in Detroit 20 years ago. When Mike Ilitch bought the team he knew he had to make the Red Wings a winner to sell tickets.

THIS is a perfect example of why Blues fans hate Wings fans.

Comments EXACTLY like this.

If you guys can't recognize this...well...sorry.

Have you seen the stuff in your forums :crazy: And the real reason why Blues fans hate Wings fans is because we are better. Blues Suck always have, always will. ;)

You know...I was reading some of the other team forums, which I dont usually do because who has time for them. Between work, kids and my life I usually could care less about what they have to say. But I was surprised by some of the vitriolic venom spewed forth at some of our players. Particularly Holmstrom and Matlby; I guess I never truly realized how good these guys are at what they do...KUDOS to them. On both the St. Louis (B)lose forum and the divealanch forum there seems to be a hatred that goes beyond normal rationalization. And now throwing Bertuzzi into the mix it becomes downright comical

Oh...and note to self and others... don't get into a pissing contest with betterREDthandead...he will win. I have seen it happen all too often. :clap:

brutus

:lol: thanks dude.....I just call 'em as I see 'em..... :D

Yeah, we don't always realize it, but Maltby is HATED around the league. In my opinion it's for the right reasons - he's not a dirty player or a knee-hunter like Bryan Marchment, he's not a bigmouth like Sean Avery (well.....off the ice anyway.....I'm sure he knows how to say the right thing to an opponent).....Maltby's just an agitator and a damn good one - in his best years he'd throw teams so far off their game, get them so mad, and skate away like nothing happened. And we clearly see Homer through red-colored glasses, that make us think he's just standing really really close to the goalie and never touching him. What all the other fans see is a brutal assault on a goalie's personal space :lol:

By the way.....sometimes I too am surprised at the "vitriolic venom spewed forth at some of our players".....on THIS forum :crazy: on the one hand it gets really annoying to see the ten uberzillionth I Hate Lilja post.....on the other hand, it's nice to see that we do focus on our opinions on improving our own team rather than constantly blasting hatred at our rivals.

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

I guess I would be bitter if I had to root for that crappy franchise. I will give them credit. They had a long streak of playoff apearances, but of course did nothing in the end. But who knows, I mean, I get to be a fan of the best franchise in pro sports. Yet I hate the blues. In fact, f*** the blues. : )

Guest Don Corleone

Wings fans seem to forget that the history of the NHL didn't start in 1996. Look at the overall records since the Blues came into the league. :lol:

Wow cprice12 really unloaded on me :D. Oh well.

One thing I don't understand is why fans go to other team's message boards and get offended. Honestly what do they expect to read? I stay the hell away from opposing team's sites, it's not worth the time or effort to get into an argument. It's pointless, no one wins.

I don't go on other forums regularly, the only ones I go to is Colorodo (because they used to be a huge rival and I wanted to see what they had to say about Bertuzzi), and the Blues (I saw one of there GDT a while ago), and I didn't start an argument, I was just mearly just asking a question, I expected some bashing but definetly not this much.

As someone said early, I am a kid who was born in the Early 90s and thats why I'm not positive about the complete history of the Wings, becasue I never lived through it. I know alot of things don't get me wrong, such as the "Deat Wings" era and all that good stuff, but did we really have a huge rivalry with the Blues during the 90s? And I find it completley amazing how Blues fans talk this much trash about the wings, and say they are not "bitter", disgusting...

I don't go on other forums regularly, the only ones I go to is Colorodo (because they used to be a huge rival and I wanted to see what they had to say about Bertuzzi), and the Blues (I saw one of there GDT a while ago), and I didn't start an argument, I was just mearly just asking a question, I expected some bashing but definetly not this much.

As someone said early, I am a kid who was born in the Early 90s and thats why I'm not positive about the complete history of the Wings, becasue I never lived through it. I know alot of things don't get me wrong, such as the "Deat Wings" era and all that good stuff, but did we really have a huge rivalry with the Blues during the 90s? And I find it completley amazing how Blues fans talk this much trash about the wings, and say they are not "bitter", disgusting...

I think if you go over there with the right mindset it's fine. But people need to know what to expect.

i'm in the middle of a huge argument with them right now. i can't stand these guys. They are the biggest group of butt-hurt losers I have ever seen

Don't even bother, it's not worth it. Just let things play out on the ice.