• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lou_Siffer

Dre Bly for Tatum Bell?

Rate this topic

Heard this one today on 1270. Apparently the Broncos are interested in Bly and are offering either Jake Plummer, another guy who's name slips me (sorry, not a big name though), and Tatum Bell. Now the odds of Bly being traded are very high so i think this is definitely legit. Also this wouldnt be the first time the Broncos have traded a RB for a CB...as they can churn out a running game with anybody back there it seems. Would you take Bell for Bly or go for the best draft pick you can get? Which probably id guess, wouldnt be any better than a 3rd. I'd be all over the Bell trade, I know its tough to gauge Denver RB's as well as KC RBs, since like i said everyone seems to produce back there, but i dont think Bell is an Olandis Gary and is actually pretty good. Great insurance for Jones, and even if Jones is healthy, cant hurt to have both!

I cant believe Millen pulled this off, this is a GREAT trade. Now, i'd be very skeptical if say, this was Mike Bell or some other unknown guy who only will produce in the Denver system. But Tatum Bell actually has alot of talent, I liked him at OSU. And here...i wouldve been happy with Chris Brown as the KJ insurance policy! Now if Jones can get healthy, we finally have a legit combo, which worked very well for good teams last season.

They also got a OT in the deal, i believe he was Denver's starter but im not sure on that. If so, that'll put the kaibosh on drafting Joe Thomas. There was a mention in the paper a couple weeks ago of a small rift between Millen and Martz on the draft. Martz wants Thomas, Millen wants a QB. So thats a little scary, the chances of us drafting a QB have risen now. :thumbdown:

Drafting Quinn would be such a mistake. Hasn't won proven anything in a big game.

I keep hoping Oakland decides to take him. I don't think Quinn would help much.

As for the trade, I'm glad to get rid of Bly. I remember the Dolphins game (yes, the Joey game :hehe: ) and that was probably the worst he's ever played. I never was a big fan of his before, but after that game I really had it in for him.

Also the Lions have traded James Hall for a 5th rounder. That's three 5th rounders now, Millen must think the 150th best player in the draft is gonna be a doozy. I like the Bly trade, but the Hall trade is a clunker if you ask me. Hall should have fetched more than a lousy 5th.

They also got a OT in the deal, i believe he was Denver's starter but im not sure on that. If so, that'll put the kaibosh on drafting Joe Thomas. There was a mention in the paper a couple weeks ago of a small rift between Millen and Martz on the draft. Martz wants Thomas, Millen wants a QB. So thats a little scary, the chances of us drafting a QB have risen now. :thumbdown:

Why would it put the kaibosh on drafting Joe Thomas?? George Foster is a good OT but we could use another OT as well. Draft Thomas and move Backus to Guard where he really should be at.

Why would it put the kaibosh on drafting Joe Thomas?? George Foster is a good OT but we could use another OT as well. Draft Thomas and move Backus to Guard where he really should be at.

Move Backus to guard? Has that ever been talked about? I dont think thats something they should do, why draft Thomas with a #2 pick when you already have 2 starters? If you tried to move Backus and it didnt work, then you have 3 OT starters. When you have a team with as many holes as the Lions, you cant afford to do that. They need a DE or CB with their first round pick.

Also the Lions have traded James Hall for a 5th rounder. That's three 5th rounders now, Millen must think the 150th best player in the draft is gonna be a doozy. I like the Bly trade, but the Hall trade is a clunker if you ask me. Hall should have fetched more than a lousy 5th.

I'm kinda glad they dumped Hall...i didnt expect he'd get more than a 4th though. He's really not that good. I tend to think he looked better than he really was cause of Shaun Rogers. Its very possible they'll lump these extra picks together to move up at some point. Not a big move of course, but maybe grab someone's 4th rounder in a trade for 2 5ths.

Foster isn't the answer on the OL... He's gotten a lot of starts but he was benched at times last season and Denver has been trying to offload him for a while.

Thomas still appears to be the pick at #2 and they'll move Backus to the right side. I think that the possibility of Detroit trading down to #5 with Arizona is rising rapidly. We could still get Gaines Adams there and pick up a 2nd rounder+...

Foster has got to be better than the lineup of swinging gates we've used on the O-line in the past. Denver has a very demanding system and it's possible he was benched simply because he couldn't meet those demands. A different system might suit him fine.

The Hall trade, I read after I posted, was because Hall would have been cut anyway because he was owed a roster bonus. I guess a 5th is better than no comp at all.

Anyway, trading Bly for a decent package like they did was a decent move....in fact it's the kind you look at and wonder if Millen really was the guy behind it, but the Lions are still going to suck unless they can sort out that offensive line. They've got all the offensive talent in the world. Tatum Bell is a good back. They've got receivers. Kitna can run the offense. All they need is an offensive line that actually blocks people.

Foster isn't the answer on the OL... He's gotten a lot of starts but he was benched at times last season and Denver has been trying to offload him for a while.

Thomas still appears to be the pick at #2 and they'll move Backus to the right side. I think that the possibility of Detroit trading down to #5 with Arizona is rising rapidly. We could still get Gaines Adams there and pick up a 2nd rounder+...

Im all for Detroit trading with Arizona, but now i think the Cards will stand pat and take their chances that Detroit wont take Thomas. They know Cleveland's taking Peterson and i havent heard any rumblings yet of TB being interested in him. I have alot more confidence in Foster knowing he was picked in the 1st round by a guy who knows how to build an offensive line. Maybe he's not great, but it just doesnt make sense to me to take Thomas when you have this many holes at STARTING positions. Right now, no starting CB and no starting DE. You cant worry about depth and competition now at OT with your #2 pick in the draft. You have to go in thinking Foster will be your starter.

We need TO!

I'd rather bring back Uweziouke! (or whatever the hell his name was!)

Hmmm...5 years for DeWayne White. Ok, yhis one's all on you Marinelli. If he doesnt produce, your ass is gone cause that means you cant judge talent at your forte position.

I'm telling you, I just don't see Foster as a long-term answer, especially when you've got the chance to take a OL franchise-type player in Thomas.

Assuming that Foster will do better "in a different" scheme is really assuming a lot... And the fact that he was traded along with Bell from a team that has a "guy that knows how to build offensive lines" could be translated as a bad 1st-round pick they were looking at pilfering off on another club.

That's not to say Foster sucks, but I don't think it's enough to justify not taking Thomas at this point. Of course, there's a lot of time and private workouts between now and late April.

I still like the prospects of trading down a few picks and picking of 2nd and 3rd rounders... Maybe upgrading a couple of our fifths for a 3rd or 4th.

I think the Bly trade threw a wrench into everything -- and I still think Arizona is hot for moving up to #2.

I think we should draft Thomas, but I am really starting to get the feeling the Lions may be really thinking about taking Alan Branch. I think No. 2 is high for Branch, but sounds like Marinelli loves him (Marinelli loves the DL's). Plus after watching an interview on Rivals.com with Branch he said that Detroit, Washington, and Houston have shown the most intrest in him.

I think we should draft Thomas, but I am really starting to get the feeling the Lions may be really thinking about taking Alan Branch. I think No. 2 is high for Branch, but sounds like Marinelli loves him (Marinelli loves the DL's). Plus after watching an interview on Rivals.com with Branch he said that Detroit, Washington, and Houston have shown the most intrest in him.

No way! Branch is a DT, which is probably the Lions strongest position with Rogers and Redding. If anything, they might trade down and draft Gaines Adams (Defensive end) or Willis (Middle Linebacker).

Also, reports say Branch looked out of shape at the combine, which shows you he's not the "live-and-breathe" football guy the Lions are looking for anyway.

I think the Lions priority should try to move down and aquire as many picks as possible, but if that doesn't work, then take Thomas. No reason to overthink this.

I can't see the Lions drafting Branch unless Rogers is on the outs.

Right now I think it's Thomas, Adams, Anderson. I think the Lions would *really* prefer to trade out of that pick.

If the Kevin Curtis thing falls though it could get interesting (*dum* *dum* *dummmmm*).

Mark it down, Chicago trading Thomas Jones to the Jets will go down as the worst move of the year. I do not like Benson whatsoever as the full time starter, theyre gonna regret this big time imo. I wouldve traded Benson. This combined with the usual year after Super Bowl letdown, i see the Bears falling back to 8-8 at this point.

Mark it down, Chicago trading Thomas Jones to the Jets will go down as the worst move of the year. I do not like Benson whatsoever as the full time starter, theyre gonna regret this big time imo. I wouldve traded Benson. This combined with the usual year after Super Bowl letdown, i see the Bears falling back to 8-8 at this point.

I hope you're right. It'd be nice if the Bears weren't so good, just to have an easier division, although I have the ugly feeling that if the Bears crap out, the Vikings take over and that's no good at all. I do have a soft spot for Jones, as he is a product of UVA, and I'm very happy to see him get a backfield all his own.