Future of Wings goaltending

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Token

Token

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

The wings may soon have to adress the need for a new reliable staring goalie...Hasek is getting older and may soon have to retire for good..They may need to make some off-season moves to fix the problem

#2 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

Jimmy Howard
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#3 Zeta Power 40

Zeta Power 40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

Stefan Liv
Red Wings, My Red Wings, Come On Wings, Lets Fly!!!
IPB Image
^Thanks Hockey13playa^

#4 Chase

Chase

jesus on skates

• Bronze Booster
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

Jimmy Howard.
---StevieY Fan---

#5 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

Jimmy Howard

and

Stefan Liv

#6 Zetter is Better

Zetter is Better

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Ozzie, and maybe resign Hasek for another year depending on the play-offs?
IPB Image
>>[DragonForce]<<

#7 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

I doubt Howard will be ready for a full-time job next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dom back, barring any injuries or antics.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#8 My GF Wishes I Was Hank

My GF Wishes I Was Hank

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

Um hello what are you guys stupid or something....Joey Macdonald is the futuree of the red wings between the pipes. Isnt it obvious? I cant beleive some of you...

Edited by My GF Wishes I Was Hank, 01 March 2007 - 06:07 PM.

IPB Image

"I know i'm young but if i had to choose her or the sun, I'd be one nocturnal son of a gun"

#9 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:04 PM

Chris Osgood

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#10 sixer

sixer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:13 PM

Osgood? Are you people high, he's no better then a backup for the Wings. If your the Blues, then maybe he'll do, but not the wings. I could see him and Howard starting the year, but for the playoffs I'd rather have Joseph then Osgood. lol

Hasek will be back for one more barring injury if he does well in the playoffs.

If not, I'd like to see both Hasek and Osgood gone with wings exploring other options for a Starter and Howard as backup.

smile.gif

Edited by sixer, 01 March 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#11 Kass

Kass

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(My GF Wishes I Was Hank @ March 1, 2007 - 06:01PM) View Post

Um hello what are you guys stupid or something....Joey Macdonald is the futuree of the red wings between the pipes. Isnt it obvious? I cant beleive some of you...

You're joking, right? He was placed on waivers and claimed by Boston last week.

The future is Howard, that's what the Wing's management and coaches have been counting on. As for next year, barring a cup win (Hasek would probably like to retire on a good note) it could be Hasek back in net. If not, we would sign another free agent to a one year deal with incentives.

#12 My GF Wishes I Was Hank

My GF Wishes I Was Hank

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(Kass @ March 1, 2007 - 06:24PM) View Post

You're joking, right? He was placed on waivers and claimed by Boston last week.

The future is Howard, that's what the Wing's management and coaches have been counting on. As for next year, barring a cup win (Hasek would probably like to retire on a good note) it could be Hasek back in net. If not, we would sign another free agent to a one year deal with incentives.

yeah it was a joke, apparently not a good one

Edited by My GF Wishes I Was Hank, 01 March 2007 - 06:25 PM.

IPB Image

"I know i'm young but if i had to choose her or the sun, I'd be one nocturnal son of a gun"

#13 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:52 PM

They don't need to make any off-season moves.

Hasek's done either this year or next IMO.

Osgood has 1 more year left on his current contract, and you know he isn't going anywhere, so at the very least he'll be one of the goalies next year.

If Hasek doesn't return, I'm thinking an Osgood/Howard duo next season, With Osgood getting about 60, 65% of the starts, with Howard really starting to get more in-tune with the NHL game.

If Osgood doesn't get a new contract after 2007-08, Howard's #1.

#14 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:24 PM

The organization is counting on Howard, I believe. They haven't drafted a goalie in a little while, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do this year, just to keep the pipeline stocked. But Jimmy Howard is clearly the one being groomed for the position.

For next year, as has been mentioned, Osgood is still under contract. What happens with Hasek is still totally up in the air, but I can't imagine Hasek retiring just yet, not if he thinks he can still play at a high level. If the Wings don't bring Hasek back, I think the Wings would let Ozzie start and bring Howard up to back him up.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#15 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

I would feel more comfortable with Hasek in net next year. To think Howard, who's only played, what, 4 games or so is ready to be a starting goalie is outrageous. He's been injured a lot this year, and when healthy, he's been inconsistant at best. And this is in the AHL. Despite Hasek's wandering antics, I'd rather have him next year. Save Howard for a farther future, not next year.

#16 GodofHockeyStevieY19

GodofHockeyStevieY19

Mr. Detroit

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

I would say the future is damn bright. And in my opinion, alot brighter since Joeys departure. Im really looking forward to seeing Jimmy Howard get some more NHL experience. This kid really could be special. Cross your fingers ppl.

#17 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

I have been thinking about this alot.

I have come to an opinion that the Wings might look to another short term goaltender. They won't put Howard in the number one spot next year for sure, and I don't think they want Howard backing up right now but getting EXP, so he might stay in GR.

I think they might take another shot at Biron in the offseason in the two year range. Howard would come in after we let Osgood walk (sad) and split the goaltending in the 50/50 range.

If they couldn't get someone to be the starter, they could do something agressive like make a move for Turco as I feel Babcock has some sort of grudge against Osgood.

I don't think he will give Osgood a number one gig unless he has no other choice.

Howard looks good, that is for sure. I imagine that at some point Liv might get moved because he could be a starter as well.

Edited by Majsheppard, 01 March 2007 - 07:37 PM.

"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#18 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(sixer @ March 1, 2007 - 06:13PM) View Post

Osgood? Are you people high, he's no better then a backup for the Wings.

unsure.gif You just wait until Reem sees that! tongue.gif

#19 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

I think Osgood will stick around in one form or another...you'll see biggrin.gif

Ha ha, I'm sure Reem already saw it, rolled her eyes, and held her tongue like most everyone else is doing ha ha

Posted Image

#20 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,457 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(Majsheppard @ March 1, 2007 - 06:34PM) View Post

I have been thinking about this alot.

I have come to an opinion that the Wings might look to another short term goaltender. They won't put Howard in the number one spot next year for sure, and I don't think they want Howard backing up right now but getting EXP, so he might stay in GR.

I think they might take another shot at Biron in the offseason in the two year range. Howard would come in after we let Osgood walk (sad) and split the goaltending in the 50/50 range.

If they couldn't get someone to be the starter, they could do something agressive like make a move for Turco as I feel Babcock has some sort of grudge against Osgood.

I don't think he will give Osgood a number one gig unless he has no other choice.

Howard looks good, that is for sure. I imagine that at some point Liv might get moved because he could be a starter as well.

If Dom doesn't come back next season, I tend to agree that the Wings will look for another short-term goaltender while Howard puts in one more year in GR. Ozzie will be back, but I would predict as the back up again. If they had wanted to hand Oz the reins this season, then Holland would have done it instead of tracking Dom down in the CZ Republic.

I don't know the inner workings of the Wings organization, but rather doubt that Babcock would be the "decider" on whether Ozzie is number one. I've also never noticed that he holds any grudge against Oz. I sure wouldn't want Turco as the Wings goalie, but no worries... they love him in Dallas, he's not going anywhere. As for Biron, I didn't see the terms of the deal in Phillie, to see if he would even be available. He's been eclipsed by Miller's play in Buffalo, but certainly seemed to have the chops to take over from Hasek, at one time.

If Hasek wants to play and is still able to compete at the same level he has shown all season, whether the Wings win the Cup or not this season, he'll be back. If they do win, Hasek will be asked to return, in all probability. This time, I bet he accepts. I wish he hadn't retired in 2002. I think the Wings might have repeated, if he'd stayed. But we'll never know. unsure.gif

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever