• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Token

Future of Wings goaltending

Rate this topic

The wings may soon have to adress the need for a new reliable staring goalie...Hasek is getting older and may soon have to retire for good..They may need to make some off-season moves to fix the problem

Osgood? Are you people high, he's no better then a backup for the Wings. If your the Blues, then maybe he'll do, but not the wings. I could see him and Howard starting the year, but for the playoffs I'd rather have Joseph then Osgood. lol

Hasek will be back for one more barring injury if he does well in the playoffs.

If not, I'd like to see both Hasek and Osgood gone with wings exploring other options for a Starter and Howard as backup.

:)

Edited by sixer

Um hello what are you guys stupid or something....Joey Macdonald is the futuree of the red wings between the pipes. Isnt it obvious? I cant beleive some of you...

You're joking, right? He was placed on waivers and claimed by Boston last week.

The future is Howard, that's what the Wing's management and coaches have been counting on. As for next year, barring a cup win (Hasek would probably like to retire on a good note) it could be Hasek back in net. If not, we would sign another free agent to a one year deal with incentives.

You're joking, right? He was placed on waivers and claimed by Boston last week.

The future is Howard, that's what the Wing's management and coaches have been counting on. As for next year, barring a cup win (Hasek would probably like to retire on a good note) it could be Hasek back in net. If not, we would sign another free agent to a one year deal with incentives.

yeah it was a joke, apparently not a good one

Edited by My GF Wishes I Was Hank

They don't need to make any off-season moves.

Hasek's done either this year or next IMO.

Osgood has 1 more year left on his current contract, and you know he isn't going anywhere, so at the very least he'll be one of the goalies next year.

If Hasek doesn't return, I'm thinking an Osgood/Howard duo next season, With Osgood getting about 60, 65% of the starts, with Howard really starting to get more in-tune with the NHL game.

If Osgood doesn't get a new contract after 2007-08, Howard's #1.

The organization is counting on Howard, I believe. They haven't drafted a goalie in a little while, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do this year, just to keep the pipeline stocked. But Jimmy Howard is clearly the one being groomed for the position.

For next year, as has been mentioned, Osgood is still under contract. What happens with Hasek is still totally up in the air, but I can't imagine Hasek retiring just yet, not if he thinks he can still play at a high level. If the Wings don't bring Hasek back, I think the Wings would let Ozzie start and bring Howard up to back him up.

I would feel more comfortable with Hasek in net next year. To think Howard, who's only played, what, 4 games or so is ready to be a starting goalie is outrageous. He's been injured a lot this year, and when healthy, he's been inconsistant at best. And this is in the AHL. Despite Hasek's wandering antics, I'd rather have him next year. Save Howard for a farther future, not next year.

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

I would say the future is damn bright. And in my opinion, alot brighter since Joeys departure. Im really looking forward to seeing Jimmy Howard get some more NHL experience. This kid really could be special. Cross your fingers ppl.

I have been thinking about this alot.

I have come to an opinion that the Wings might look to another short term goaltender. They won't put Howard in the number one spot next year for sure, and I don't think they want Howard backing up right now but getting EXP, so he might stay in GR.

I think they might take another shot at Biron in the offseason in the two year range. Howard would come in after we let Osgood walk (sad) and split the goaltending in the 50/50 range.

If they couldn't get someone to be the starter, they could do something agressive like make a move for Turco as I feel Babcock has some sort of grudge against Osgood.

I don't think he will give Osgood a number one gig unless he has no other choice.

Howard looks good, that is for sure. I imagine that at some point Liv might get moved because he could be a starter as well.

Edited by Majsheppard

I think Osgood will stick around in one form or another...you'll see :D

Ha ha, I'm sure Reem already saw it, rolled her eyes, and held her tongue like most everyone else is doing ha ha

I have been thinking about this alot.

I have come to an opinion that the Wings might look to another short term goaltender. They won't put Howard in the number one spot next year for sure, and I don't think they want Howard backing up right now but getting EXP, so he might stay in GR.

I think they might take another shot at Biron in the offseason in the two year range. Howard would come in after we let Osgood walk (sad) and split the goaltending in the 50/50 range.

If they couldn't get someone to be the starter, they could do something agressive like make a move for Turco as I feel Babcock has some sort of grudge against Osgood.

I don't think he will give Osgood a number one gig unless he has no other choice.

Howard looks good, that is for sure. I imagine that at some point Liv might get moved because he could be a starter as well.

If Dom doesn't come back next season, I tend to agree that the Wings will look for another short-term goaltender while Howard puts in one more year in GR. Ozzie will be back, but I would predict as the back up again. If they had wanted to hand Oz the reins this season, then Holland would have done it instead of tracking Dom down in the CZ Republic.

I don't know the inner workings of the Wings organization, but rather doubt that Babcock would be the "decider" on whether Ozzie is number one. I've also never noticed that he holds any grudge against Oz. I sure wouldn't want Turco as the Wings goalie, but no worries... they love him in Dallas, he's not going anywhere. As for Biron, I didn't see the terms of the deal in Phillie, to see if he would even be available. He's been eclipsed by Miller's play in Buffalo, but certainly seemed to have the chops to take over from Hasek, at one time.

If Hasek wants to play and is still able to compete at the same level he has shown all season, whether the Wings win the Cup or not this season, he'll be back. If they do win, Hasek will be asked to return, in all probability. This time, I bet he accepts. I wish he hadn't retired in 2002. I think the Wings might have repeated, if he'd stayed. But we'll never know. :unsure:

If Dom is not back next year, i think that we keep Ozzie and groom either Howard or Liv to take over the goal in the next year.

If there is a top notch goalie who could be signed or traded for at a resonable price, then go get him.

The organization is counting on Howard, I believe. They haven't drafted a goalie in a little while, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do this year, just to keep the pipeline stocked. But Jimmy Howard is clearly the one being groomed for the position.

For next year, as has been mentioned, Osgood is still under contract. What happens with Hasek is still totally up in the air, but I can't imagine Hasek retiring just yet, not if he thinks he can still play at a high level. If the Wings don't bring Hasek back, I think the Wings would let Ozzie start and bring Howard up to back him up.

They drafted one just this past summer. Daniel Larsson. He was an over-ager (I think he's 21?) who put up some ridiculous stats at the WJCs a couple years ago (sub 1.00 GAA and .950+ SV% I believe). He had a great start in the SEL this year, butI think he's cooled down a bit, but still solid. 2.53 GAA .911 SV% and 3 shutouts in 23 games (not sure of his record).

this doesn't exactly fit here, but I don't like starting random threads... especially about goaltending.

Just for fun, do ya'll think Dom will tie or break his personal best win record (41, with the Wings in 01-02) this season? With 18 games left, and 33 wins currently, I can see him taking a run at it this season.

I can't believe there are only regular season 18 games left for us. Where did the season go?? :unsure: