30 replies to this topic

#1 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

http://sportsillustr...0305/index.html

Sorry for the multi-new threads, actually a good bit being discussed Red Wings related on some of the sports sites...

Pretty cool article on the Preds recent victory over the Wings and how they are trying to overtake and beat them.

#2 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

Nice grab by Floppa there... rolleyes.gif

The Preds' obsession with beating the Red Wings is a little scary.

#3 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

I love this.....I think it's the ultimate compliment:

"Before Detroit games, [the meetings] are always longer."
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#4 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE(Louisville @ March 1, 2007 - 06:34PM) View Post

Why? They are in the same division, Detroit has been one of the better teams in the NHL the past 10-15 years. The Preds have slowly/surely gotten better over their short history, and their only playoff matchup so far was with the Red Wings. If I were a Preds fan, I'd consider Detroit to be the top-rival. It's a respect thing. Doesn't seem too scary or obsessive to me.

#5 jdog19

jdog19

Lets Go Red Wings!

• HoF Booster
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(SouthernWingsFan @ March 1, 2007 - 07:37PM) View Post

Why? They are in the same division, Detroit has been one of the better teams in the NHL the past 10-15 years. The Preds have slowly/surely gotten better over their short history, and their only playoff matchup so far was with the Red Wings. If I were a Preds fan, I'd consider Detroit to be the top-rival. It's a respect thing. Doesn't seem too scary or obsessive to me.

The NHL is the main catalyst in trying to drive a rivalry between Detroit and Nashville/Chicago/CBus/etc. They've made this possible by scheduling 643 matchups with each one during the season. Nashville hasn't had enough time in the league to build long-standing rivalries with other teams in the league, so naturally, their biggest competition (Detroit) would be it's main target. It would be foolish to think that the Detroit fans feel the same way about the so-called 'rivalry', simply because of the history they have with other teams. Personally, despite the fact that most of the players have moved on, Colorado/Detroit is still my fav, despite the fact that Colorado blows. I'd still much rather see Tor/Detroit and LA/Detroit than Detroit/Nashville. Doesn't mean I don't like the matchup, just that old habits die hard.

Give the Nashville/Detroit thing a while longer, and it will keep building, to where Wings fans are just as passionate in the matchup, that is of course, if Nashville can keep the preds a little while longer. unsure.gif

#6 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

I'm not sure I'd aim my sights at beating a team that's making a habit of first round playoff exits. smile.gif
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#7 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

That was a great article. The Preds are my favorite team to play because we're so evenly matched. I hate them being so competitive with us because I like being up top, but at the same time it's nice to have some competition to remind us (err...the Wings) that it doesn't get any easier at the end of the season or in the playoffs.

#8 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(Louisville @ March 1, 2007 - 06:34PM) View Post

As I've mentioned before, my girlfriend is from Tennessee and a Preds fans.

As she explained to me several years ago, when we got talking about hockey. Preds (and their fans) know that if you want to be the man, you have to beat the man. Cbus, St. Louis, and Chicago aren't exactly the team you want to set your sights on if you want to win a division.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#9 Tunbo Batman

Tunbo Batman

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

opponents' obsessions with beating the wings is a good sign. we're still the team to beat. you don't see an article about how to prepare against tampa bay.

#10 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(SouthernWingsFan @ March 1, 2007 - 05:27PM) View Post

http://sportsillustr...0305/index.html

Sorry for the multi-new threads, actually a good bit being discussed Red Wings related on some of the sports sites...

Pretty cool article on the Preds recent victory over the Wings and how they are trying to overtake and beat them.

He says Detroit has ten Stanley Cup-winners, but we only have nine unless he is counting Fischer.

QUOTE(SouthernWingsFan @ March 1, 2007 - 05:37PM) View Post

Wrong...

QUOTE(BlueMonk @ March 1, 2007 - 06:25PM) View Post

I'm not sure I'd aim my sights at beating a team that's making a habit of first round playoff exits. smile.gif

Well, let's see--in the last ten years, four first round exits, two second round exits, one third round exit, and three Stanley Cups.

That's a better track record than any other team, so enough of that talk.

#11 drwforever

drwforever

Jr. Prospect

• Gold Booster
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Crymson @ March 1, 2007 - 08:59PM) View Post

He says Detroit has ten Stanley Cup-winners, but we only have nine unless he is counting Fischer.

At the time of the article, these were the Stanley Cup winners on the team:

Chelios
Datsyuk
Draper
Hasek
Holmstrom
Lidstrom
Maltby
Osgood
Schneider
Williams

The way I count, that makes 10.

#12 A.T.Hun

A.T.Hun

You wouldn't like Wayne when he's angry . . .

• Gold Booster
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

Nashville probably has the inside track to be the next big Detroit rival, unless Chicago could overcome its current case of cranial-rectal inversion (not holding my breath on that one). It will take a meeting or two in the Western Conference finals to make it a true rivalry.

#13 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(drwforever @ March 1, 2007 - 07:18PM) View Post

At the time of the article, these were the Stanley Cup winners on the team:

Chelios
Datsyuk
Draper
Hasek
Holmstrom
Lidstrom
Maltby
Osgood
Schneider
Williams

The way I count, that makes 10.

Williams, yes! Good call. I'd forgotten he was on the team in '02. He was practically invisible in the '02 playoffs. I remember he played the first game against Vancouver, but beyond that it's pretty hazy. I believe he and Datsyuk were fighting for the same roster spot in the postseason, and Datsyuk won after taking the ice against the Blues.

Edited by Crymson, 01 March 2007 - 09:27 PM.

#14 Jwo

Jwo

Let's go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

It's nice to know that the predators admire and love us. wub.gif
FireCaptain - "THIS ISN'T DATELINE, BUT WE'RE HERE TO STOP A PREDATOR."
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du,
When I see you Red Wings,
I go out of my head,
I just can't get enough,
I just can't get enough,
All the things you do to me and all the things you said,
I just can't get enough.
I just can't get enough
We slip and slide and we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough of...
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du

#15 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

That's a very good article.

#16 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE(Crymson @ March 1, 2007 - 07:59PM) View Post

Wrong...

Ok, I stand corrected then as I forgot they played the Sharks in the playoffs last year.

You can't tell me though Preds fans look forward to facing the Sharks more over the Red Wings.

#17 Cicada

Cicada

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

wow...

quality article. I wish SI would cover the NHL more..they have great writers.
IPB Image

#18 GuloGulo

GuloGulo

Never Waive Drake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:07 AM

Preds never been to second round of playoffs.
That's seems like more attainable and tangible target to reach.
<DarrylBootland> I'm big league!

#19 wingsfan75

wingsfan75

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

THe writer said that the win thrust them back into first place in the central division. LIAR!!! They tied us with the win but we still had the advantage because we had more goals against if I'm not mistaken. No big deal anyway. It'll all be right in the end.
IPB Image

#20 drsingle

drsingle

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ March 1, 2007 - 06:37PM) View Post

I love this.....I think it's the ultimate compliment:

"Before Detroit games, [the meetings] are always longer."

Exactly as you should take it.

QUOTE(SouthernWingsFan @ March 1, 2007 - 06:37PM) View Post

As Crymson has mentioned, we did play the Sharks last year. Hopefully, others will forget that just like we Predators fans are attempting to do. smile.gif

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ March 1, 2007 - 07:39PM) View Post

As I've mentioned before, my girlfriend is from Tennessee and a Preds fans.

As she explained to me several years ago, when we got talking about hockey. Preds (and their fans) know that if you want to be the man, you have to beat the man. Cbus, St. Louis, and Chicago aren't exactly the team you want to set your sights on if you want to win a division.

Always love a good Ric Flair quote.

QUOTE(wingsfan75 @ March 2, 2007 - 07:11AM) View Post

THe writer said that the win thrust them back into first place in the central division. LIAR!!! They tied us with the win but we still had the advantage because we had more goals against if I'm not mistaken. No big deal anyway. It'll all be right in the end.

First tie-breaker is wins and Nashville has more. It probably won't be a factor with us playing each other four more times, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Farber is good. It's a lot better article than I wrote on the subject. Baby steps for me. I really enjoyed the slide show as well.

David

Visit PredNation.com for Predators and Hockey Analysis