• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank

Why I Wish The Wings Got Belfour Instead of Hasek

Rate this topic

Just a point of clarification: The 1999 Stanley Cup was awarded to the Stars by the NHL and Gary Bettman, not won legitimately. No Goal! :P

The crease rule, as amended early 1999, would disagree.

Due to a high number of breakaway goals being disallowed due to crease infractions, an amendment was made to the crease rule that stated something to the effect of if a player enters the crease legally and gains control of the puck, a goal scored while that player is in the crease shall stand even if the puck leaves the crease before entering the net, so long as that player maintains possession the entire time the puck is outside the crease.

The puck entered the crease. Hull followed, gained possession, and scored. Good goal. Had it been scored in November, it would have been disallowed.

The crease rule, as amended early 1999, would disagree.

Due to a high number of breakaway goals being disallowed due to crease infractions, an amendment was made to the crease rule that stated something to the effect of if a player enters the crease legally and gains control of the puck, a goal scored while that player is in the crease shall stand even if the puck leaves the crease before entering the net, so long as that player maintains possession the entire time the puck is outside the crease.

The puck entered the crease. Hull followed, gained possession, and scored. Good goal. Had it been scored in November, it would have been disallowed.

I think what is arguable is whether he MAINTAINED possession before shooting. Does someone have to take the puck away from you for possession to be ended? A good comparison would be the offside rule, i.e. being able to precede the puck into the zone as long as you have control/possession. Players get whistled all the time as not having control/possession for showing more than Hull had at the time before the second shot. That is why the goal shouldn't have counted, and why the rule was hurriedly changed that offseason.

I think what is arguable is whether he MAINTAINED possession before shooting. Does someone have to take the puck away from you for possession to be ended? A good comparison would be the offside rule, i.e. being able to precede the puck into the zone as long as you have control/possession. Players get whistled all the time as not having control/possession for showing more than Hull had at the time before the second shot. That is why the goal shouldn't have counted, and why the rule was hurriedly changed that offseason.

And ultimately, possession is the discretion of the on ice official, who ruled Hull maintained possession.

And ultimately, possession is the discretion of the on ice official, who ruled Hull maintained possession.

Officials make mistakes. This was a big one. <_<

And you are exactly correct. It was the quicky rule change that told me all I needed to know... aside from the fact that I was watching the game and saw it for myself. I can still see it... :crazy:

The officials did not rule anything, right after the whistle the entire Stars team and who not jumped onto the ice celebrating and they did not have the balls to rule against it.

official #1 :scared:

official #2 :scared: