• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MPast86

New Poster

Rate this topic

Long time reader, first time poster. First Id like to say that this is a great forum with lots of great Red Wings info and discussion.

Im wondering though, and Im sure its been discussed before, is why LArry Aurie doesnt have his number retired, and you all think t will be. Also, do you guys think eventually Vladdy's #16 will hang form the rafters? I know both of these numbers are unofficially retired, but does anyone think they will be retired officially? Thanks alot.

Long time reader, first time poster. First Id like to say that this is a great forum with lots of great Red Wings info and discussion.

Im wondering though, and Im sure its been discussed before, is why LArry Aurie doesnt have his number retired, and you all think t will be. Also, do you guys think eventually Vladdy's #16 will hang form the rafters? I know both of these numbers are unofficially retired, but does anyone think they will be retired officially? Thanks alot.

Welcome to the boards! If I remember about 3 weeks ago there was a thread on Larry Aurie, it's hard to say if they will retire the jersey, i don't know if there was any "offical" info on it, as for Vladdy, I think it will remain an "unspoken" rule for quite sometime that no one wears 16.....

Welcome. I am a pretty new member myself. As for Vladdie he will never have his number retired in the sense that it hangs from the rafters. That is reserved for players who become "legends" throughout a whole career with the wings. Vladdy didnt play nearly long enough. He is beloved in Detroit for different reasons. Although I do agree that his number will be "unspokenly" retired for a good while.

Guest Don Corleone

Vlad "The Impaler" doesn't deserve to have his number up there with the other Wing greats.

I'm sure my opinion on this is extremely unpopular but I am actually against the whole number retiring thing. Put the name up there, but why take away the number. Look at the Canadiens, they have all the good numbers retired, now they have 73's and 79's and 57's..... those aren't "hockey" numbers

Vlad "The Impaler" doesn't deserve to have his number up there with the other Wing greats.

I'm suprised you would even say that, considering how much you hate the Wings.

And I don't much care for your talk of Vladdy that way either.

Aside from whether his name and number deserve to be retired, I would suggest you enjoy the remaining 20 minutes you have on the forums. Piss off.

Aside from whether his name and number deserve to be retired, I would suggest you enjoy the remaining 20 minutes you have on the forums. Piss off.

If he's not gone already, I usually make it a rule not comment on people's intelligence in postings, but that was jsut a moronic comment!

If he's not gone already, I usually make it a rule not comment on people's intelligence in postings, but that was jsut a moronic comment!

True. Sometimes it is best just to ignore and it will go away. Just goin through the forums and seeing a whole load of not just negative post (which can sometimes be okay) but with negativitey with no purpose other than to set ppl off go to me today.

In Don's defense, Vladdy's jersey up there with guys like Abel, Howe, Sawchuk, Lindsay, Yzerman, etc. is kind of a stretch. To say it like he did was kind of uncalled for, it's not like he doesn't "derserve it" persay, but his NHL career wasn't long enough to be up in the rafters.

But ya, I agree that #16 will not be used for quite sometime.

I think that Vladdy's number will be retired along with Aurie's unofficially for a long time (at least until the Illitch's sell the team to another family that doesn't honor them). But what about Fisch's #2?

Fischer didn't have a very long career with the Wings. And, to be honest, he wasn't a franchise defenseman. I liked the guy a lot for his physical play, but he made a lot of bone head givaways, especially in that Calgary series in 2004.

When you look at the situation, I don't think Fischers number should go in the rafters. But I would feel better if the Wings chose not to let anyone use his #2 for a while, as respect for him.

Thanks for all the responses. I wasnt very sure about Aurie, I had just seen his name mentioned before so I threw it out there. I just though though with Vlad: he was a great player, and the way his career ended, how he was a rallying point for the team and city in 98, and his condition the past 10 or so years, it would have been a nice honor for his number to be retired. I understand though how many people dont think it should, as he was not Stevie, or Gordie and so on.

thanks though.

I'm sure my opinion on this is extremely unpopular but I am actually against the whole number retiring thing. Put the name up there, but why take away the number. Look at the Canadiens, they have all the good numbers retired, now they have 73's and 79's and 57's..... those aren't "hockey" numbers

I happen to agree with you on the number retiring numbers issue. I like what Dallas Cowboys do with their ring of fame. Now I am not sure if they retire the number with it. If teams keep retiring numbers they will eventually run out, pretty soon we will see 3 digit numbers. But a team should at acknowledge the accomplishments of great players. Now Vladdy should at least be mention somewhere. Even though his career was cut tragically short, his contributions were outstanding.

I think that Vladdy's number will be retired along with Aurie's unofficially for a long time (at least until the Illitch's sell the team to another family that doesn't honor them). But what about Fisch's #2?

Fischer?? Thats outlandish! If you put him up there, where does it end? Guess you gotta throw Greg Johnson's up there too! What a ceremony that would be!

Fischer didn't have a very long career with the Wings. And, to be honest, he wasn't a franchise defenseman. I liked the guy a lot for his physical play, but he made a lot of bone head givaways, especially in that Calgary series in 2004.

When you look at the situation, I don't think Fischers number should go in the rafters. But I would feel better if the Wings chose not to let anyone use his #2 for a while, as respect for him.

Very well put.