• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Rule_1010

Top GMs in Sports

Rate this topic

Mike Milbury and Matt Millen are the two worst GMs in sports history.

Compare Milbury to Kevin Lowe.

Tell me all about how Lowe has dumped his star players for shoddy return because he couldn't afford them, and then tell me that Milbury doesn't have the exact same reason for trading guys like Palffy.

The very moment Milbury had any sort of budget to work with, he turned the league's worst team into a team that nearly won the division with a couple key moves. The Islanders team he built will likely make the playoffs for the fourth time in five years this season since the team was purchased by Charles Wang and the ridiculous budget restrictions were lifted--Milbury's budget for most of his tenure on the Isle was usually around $25m, comparable with Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Edmonton or Calgary. Four teams known for trading star players because they couldn't afford them. If those four teams get a pass on making bad deals where they give up the far superior player in a cost cutting move (Jagr for scrubs, Guerin for Carter, Weight for Reasoner, Kozlov for Piros, MacInnis for Housley) why doesn't Milbury?

Deals Milbury is criticized for:

Palffy for Jokinen. Olli Jokinen has developed into a top talent i nthe league. Yes, he did it after leaving the Isle, but to argue that he wasn't a fair trade for Palffy is silly.

Bertuzzi/McCabe for Linden. Linden was a higher end guy in the league with great all-around ability. Bertuzzi was nothing but a goon and was regressing as far as his offense is concerned. McCabe was very expendable on the Isles defense that already had several better offensive defensemen. Nobody could have predicted Linden would flop like he did, and Bertuzzi's rise to the top was never going to happen in New York the way he was going.

Luongo/Jokinen for Parrish/Kvasha

Milbury had to deal Luongo after picking Rick Dipietro, who did better in their comparable years on the Isle than Luongo did. Jokinen totally flopped in New York, and Parrish and Kvasha were big, strong, young forwards who would come to New York and do well.

Chara/pick(Spezza) for Yashin

Chara was a depth defenseman on the Isles and was not doing himself any favors. Yashin was, at the time, an elite talent in the league and a 27 year old Hart trophy contender who was among the league leaders in points and goals, and was big and strong. Let me put that another way: This summer, would you trade a first round pick and Lilja for Marian Hossa? I sure as hell would.

Milbury is not the best GM in the world, but he's done a respectable job given his circumstances. He certainly has outperformed quite a few of his peers.

Your post proves that starting your career in Long Island will do you wonders in the future. I wouldn't be too shocked if Bruno Gervais eventually becomes a Norris winner for another team.

Compare Milbury to Kevin Lowe.

Tell me all about how Lowe has dumped his star players for shoddy return because he couldn't afford them, and then tell me that Milbury doesn't have the exact same reason for trading guys like Palffy.

The very moment Milbury had any sort of budget to work with, he turned the league's worst team into a team that nearly won the division with a couple key moves. The Islanders team he built will likely make the playoffs for the fourth time in five years this season since the team was purchased by Charles Wang and the ridiculous budget restrictions were lifted--Milbury's budget for most of his tenure on the Isle was usually around $25m, comparable with Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Edmonton or Calgary. Four teams known for trading star players because they couldn't afford them. If those four teams get a pass on making bad deals where they give up the far superior player in a cost cutting move (Jagr for scrubs, Guerin for Carter, Weight for Reasoner, Kozlov for Piros, MacInnis for Housley) why doesn't Milbury?

Deals Milbury is criticized for:

Palffy for Jokinen. Olli Jokinen has developed into a top talent i nthe league. Yes, he did it after leaving the Isle, but to argue that he wasn't a fair trade for Palffy is silly.

Bertuzzi/McCabe for Linden. Linden was a higher end guy in the league with great all-around ability. Bertuzzi was nothing but a goon and was regressing as far as his offense is concerned. McCabe was very expendable on the Isles defense that already had several better offensive defensemen. Nobody could have predicted Linden would flop like he did, and Bertuzzi's rise to the top was never going to happen in New York the way he was going.

Luongo/Jokinen for Parrish/Kvasha

Milbury had to deal Luongo after picking Rick Dipietro, who did better in their comparable years on the Isle than Luongo did. Jokinen totally flopped in New York, and Parrish and Kvasha were big, strong, young forwards who would come to New York and do well.

Chara/pick(Spezza) for Yashin

Chara was a depth defenseman on the Isles and was not doing himself any favors. Yashin was, at the time, an elite talent in the league and a 27 year old Hart trophy contender who was among the league leaders in points and goals, and was big and strong. Let me put that another way: This summer, would you trade a first round pick and Lilja for Marian Hossa? I sure as hell would.

Milbury is not the best GM in the world, but he's done a respectable job given his circumstances. He certainly has outperformed quite a few of his peers.

In my opinion, one of the most important abilities a GM needs to have is an ability to see future potential in players. Milbury obviously missed the boat on that with several trades he has made.