Photo
- - - - -

Peguins Declare Impasse in Arena Talks...

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

Oh boy! todays update!!!

From AP:
Penguins owner Ron Burkle traveled to Las Vegas on Wednesday to meet with the mayor and discuss the possibility of relocating the team there.

Burkle, who lives in Los Angeles, led a delegation in talks with Las Vegas Mayor Oscar B. Goodman, according to Penguins spokesman Tom McMillan.

Las Vegas...er....well, some of us thought it MIGHT be a good idea, but in light of the recent NBA All-Star game in Vegas....and the disaster it was (I guess it effectively squashed all hopes of the NBA putting a team there), this doesn't seem like a very good thing to even explore.

IPB Image

#42 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

When it comes right down to it, nobody in the East will need the Wings like teams in the west. In the East, you have Florida, Boston, Long Island, and that's about it for teams that can't fill the building. In the West however, you have Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix, LA, Columbus (occasionally they do ok in attendance, but majority rules says they don't), Nashville and a couple of others. That's 3 to about 5 or 6 or maybe even more. While I would certainly love to see the Wings play Toronto 8 times a season rather than Columbus, it's not feasable at the present time.

#43 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

Add the capitals to that list there KP, i go to games here regularly and the only time its been close to full was for opening night this season against the hurricanes, coming fresh off the cup win.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#44 schulzte

schulzte

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:44 PM

I don't know why every one is bent on getting the Wings in the East. Detroit is right on the line between being in the East and West. There are lots of good teams in the West, and if they had been in the East all these years, there is no Colorado-Detroit rivalry for all that time. I know playing the orignial six teams mosr would be nice, but that is no reason to root for the Penguins to move to Kansas City, which is absolutely senseless. Kansas City is another Nashville waiting to happen. The problem is the schedule, when we had a balanced schedule, few people were going crazy about Detroit being in the East. We just need to play Eastern teams more often.

#45 Airborn

Airborn

Two primal opposing yet complementary forces

• PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

Here's an article from Scott Burnside of ESPN that examines both sides of the argument.

http://sports.espn.g...r...&id=2790975

While I would like to see the Wings go East, I don't want to see Pittsburgh lose their team. That would be horrible for the league, and worse for the fans.

#46 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

The Pens will get their arena, in Pittsburgh
NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

#47 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(HoustonWingsFan @ March 6, 2007 - 08:50PM) View Post

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell says he will turn to the NHL to prevent the Pittsburgh Penguins from leaving the state.
The announcement came one day after the team said it had reached an impasse in negotiations with state, county and local officials to finance a new arena.
``The governor believes we have put an exceptionally attractive offer on the table,'' according to a statement released by Rendell's office.
Later in the day, Rendell told reporters, ``If they don't take it, we're going to be up in New York asking the NHL to bar the Penguins from moving.''

Formidable obstacles on all fronts remain before Houston sports fans should dare believe it possible the city could inherit the NHL's best young hockey team, but it now seems likely the Pittsburgh Penguins' owners will finally pay a visit this week to tour the Toyota Center.

Lemeiux and Burkle will then fly on to Los Angeles, where the company that's going to operate Kansas City's new arena is based, to continue discussions on a possible lease. Kansas City is assumed to have the inside track on landing the Penguins if Pittsburgh can't keep them. However, before returning home, Lemieux and Burkle are said to be contemplating a detour through Houston.
Late last week it appeared the Penguins was close to finalizing a deal on the construction of a building to replace Pittsburgh's nearly half-century old Mellon Arena. But team officials, who had been silent on the subject for weeks, suddenly issued a statement Monday declaring an impasse, saying they intended "to aggressively explore relocation."

The biggest hurdle for a move to Houston, even if the Penguins prove willing, is thought to be Alexander. A team as attractive as the Penguins, who are led by 19-year-old superstar Sidney Crosby, could become a drain on the Rockets' revenues that whatever extra income it generated might not offset. Also, while Alexander has expressed interest in bringing hockey to Houston, it has always been assumed he would only want to own the NHL team himself.

why the hell does Rendell care anyway? He's a Philly guy after all....

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#48 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE(MacK_Attack @ March 5, 2007 - 07:09PM) View Post

Two words: Scare Tactics

Two more words: Good Call
stevienewjo4.gif

#49 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with the Wings going east. Imagine most games at 7pm or 7:30? And playing all but 1 orginal 6 team. And the Hawks are the biggest disgrace to the 6 anyway so I wouldn't really care. I don't want the Pens to move but I like the idea of them ouf the West.

#50 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

The Pens need to aggressively come to Houston.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#51 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(schulzte @ March 7, 2007 - 11:44PM) View Post

I don't know why every one is bent on getting the Wings in the East. Detroit is right on the line between being in the East and West. There are lots of good teams in the West, and if they had been in the East all these years, there is no Colorado-Detroit rivalry for all that time. I know playing the orignial six teams mosr would be nice, but that is no reason to root for the Penguins to move to Kansas City, which is absolutely senseless. Kansas City is another Nashville waiting to happen. The problem is the schedule, when we had a balanced schedule, few people were going crazy about Detroit being in the East. We just need to play Eastern teams more often.

The west is boring for one thing. If Chicago was anywhere near respectable, then I would enjoy watching the Wings play the Blackhawks again. And not to mention the fact of all the other boring teams: St. Louis, Columbus, Phoenix, and who could forget Minnesota? While I admit, the east does have the worst team to watch, that being the Devils, but there is so much more out there to watch like Toronto, Montreal, Boston, NY Rangers, Philly, Buffalo, Islanders, etc.

And another thing: The timezone suits the Wings so much better. The Wings just can't win out west. How do you figure the Wings blow a 3-0 lead to San Jose and let it 9 straight goals? I don't think something that dramatic would have happened if San Jose was in the same timezone.

And to cap it off: The Wings-Av's rivalry is no more. There's nothing there. It's just like watching Columbus or any other team now. The only team in the west I consider a true rival is Nashville. Edmonton is not our rival. They suck. After that, I see no possible teams that would really even be considered the Wings rivals. Calgary? They haven't played each other in a playoff series in 3 years. Make that 4 for Anaheim. Not much when you think about it.