• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aflac9262

3/6 GDT: Predators @ Red Wings

Rate this topic

was it just me or did our Defence look pretty shaky for the third out there?
Yes... I was sitting three rows right behind Ozzie and it was nervous as hell watching the Preds keep swarming around him in the third.

Another great game in the series. I wish my Preds hadn't played so sloppily, particularly early on, but with the last game of a five game road trip, I guess that is to be expected.

Injuries... damn. We lost Scotty Nichol and Marek Zidlicky last night. I think we could take the injured players from these two teams on go win the East.

The battles that these two teams have against each other, and being forced to play through injuries to key personnel, should go a long way to helping these teams be ready for the playoffs.

See you guys next Tuesday. Anyone coming to Nashville?

David

Injuries... damn. We lost Scotty Nichol and Marek Zidlicky last night. I think we could take the injured players from these two teams on go win the East.

Since I was only listening on the radio feed, I didn't even hear about this. What happened to 'em?

And you're dead on - between our two teams, there's a hell of a lot of talent among the injured. What's even more impressive is that, despite all the injuries, both of our teams keep winning.

Since I was only listening on the radio feed, I didn't even hear about this. What happened to 'em?

And you're dead on - between our two teams, there's a hell of a lot of talent among the injured. What's even more impressive is that, despite all the injuries, both of our teams keep winning.

Zidlicky appears to have the ever mysterious "upper body injury" while Nichol received a two-handed slash from Lebda (his account) that broke a finger.

David

I'm just going to copy my post from the preds forums over to here...

I really thought we came out strong last night, and then sort of went to sleep until the end when we surged to tie it up.

One reason is the Datsyuk goal, which I thought really put momentum on Detroit's side and tilted the ice in their favor just about the whole game. And I really think it was a poor goal all around.

Datsyuk had no pass available, so he either had to pull the trigger, or skate it behind the net in hopes that a pass opens up or he can try for a wrap-around.

Vokoun and Zidlicky have to know that there's no pass there, but what were they doing? Vokoun should have been up on that post and not come off it until Datsyuk was behind the net. and Zidlicky trying to make it into a pretty ballet or something, should have taken the body and rode Datsyuk into the end boards or at least out of shooting position.

Who knows how the game would have turned out without that goal, but I do know that it was a killer.

Overall though I guess i'm pretty happy this morning. We stole a point in a game that we didn't deserve it. and finished the road trip with a point in every game. Not too bad!

Cosign.

Calder is fricken awesome. I've seen enough of him that I'd already be trying to work out a new deal to keep him here. He's a perfect fit on this team. He works his ass off, goes hard to the net....he didn't score tonight but the kid had about 5 great chances.

With my old favorites (Stevie, Shanny) out the door, Flip and Calder are quickly becoming my new favorites.

You all know I'm not a Holland fan, but I wish I had more hands so I could give the Calder trade :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hopefully the Bertuzzi trade works out just as well.

Great win tonight for the boys. This next week is going to be fun.

One comment: If we see them in the playoffs, we really need to get physical with Kariya. It was like he gained the blueline and everyone just backed off of him. He's going to kill you that way. Get in his face, knock him down and he won't be remotely effective. My suggestion was to punch him in the face....but that's more because I can't stand him.

-Tim

We agree on something?!?!

Hell yeah. :beerbuddy:

Vokoun and Zidlicky have to know that there's no pass there, but what were they doing? Vokoun should have been up on that post and not come off it until Datsyuk was behind the net. and Zidlicky trying to make it into a pretty ballet or something, should have taken the body and rode Datsyuk into the end boards or at least out of shooting position.

I dunno, goalies just seem to have a tendency to panic when Dats is coming in on them like that. It's probably not unlike the "OMG" feeling a tender must have felt when they saw Al MacInnis pulling back for a slapshot. They spend too much time analyzing the situation ("Oh crap oh crap oh crap here he comes is he going to deke or toedrag is he going to go low or high backhand or forehand oh crap oh crap oh...crap, it's already behind me...") and not enough time just relying on instinct and reaction. I finally saw the replay of the goal this morning and while I thought it was a great Datsyuk goal, I had to watch it over and over again, wondering how Vokoun managed to whiff on that.

I dunno, goalies just seem to have a tendency to panic when Dats is coming in on them like that. It's probably not unlike the "OMG" feeling a tender must have felt when they saw Al MacInnis pulling back for a slapshot. They spend too much time analyzing the situation ("Oh crap oh crap oh crap here he comes is he going to deke or toedrag is he going to go low or high backhand or forehand oh crap oh crap oh...crap, it's already behind me...") and not enough time just relying on instinct and reaction. I finally saw the replay of the goal this morning and while I thought it was a great Datsyuk goal, I had to watch it over and over again, wondering how Vokoun managed to whiff on that.

Datsyuk is a unique player. There aren't a lot of guys out there who possess the talent he has, and not too many who also get as much grief for not being perfect all the time. I appreciate him for what he is, and don't project expectations on Dats to perform a miracle every game, ya know? I just enjoy it when he does! Vokoun got rattled and that's what a talented goal scorer like Dats does --confuse the opposition and dazzle them with moves they can't even imagine. Luc Robitaille was the same sort of scorer, IMO. No goalie wanted to see him near their net in his best days.

Your scenario of Datsyuk coming in on a goalie is sort of the reverse of shooters' feelings, when they would come in on Hasek in his heyday. "OMG, OMG!! What the hell am I gonna have to do to beat this guy??" Squeeze the stick, over-commit, try to stare down the Dominator... Hasek waits them out, reads the play, and boom: Dom's your Daddy. I think he's lost a bit of the mystique over the years, but not too much of the skills. Despite what the nay-sayers think, he's still formidible in goal and will bring it when the clutch 'tending is needed.

Great game last night, sucks that we gave them a point but it was nice for Ozzie to seal the deal. How about the bodies we were throwing around last night and Tootoo into the bench, priceless.

I hated Nichol before, but check out his crying about the supposed slash by Lebda.

Nichol said he took a two-handed slash to his hand from Detroit defenseman Brett Lebda near the end of the first period. No penalty was called on the play.

"Hopefully the league will review it and we'll see what they say,'' said Nichol, who expected to be out at least a couple of weeks.

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/snapshots/ind..._03.html#242813

Lang also took a slash on the hands in the OT, but you don't see him crying about it.

From my view here we have a great team.. Last night some of our key players were out and did the wings ever play very well.. the preds had some injuries as well but i don't think there were as signifacant as our key players. We beat one of the best teams in the nhl without our key guys and im 100% impressed with this. When this team gets healthy i think we willl be the best team in the nhl and i really do believe this is our year to win the cup :thumbup:

Sullivan and Hartnell are tied for the team lead in goal scoring. Forsberg is... Forsberg.

And then we lost our best faceoff guy (Nichol) in the first, and Zidlicky in the second.

I'd say that the teams injury situation is about equal right now. Preds was worse, but we got Legwand and Arnott back last night.

I hated Nichol before, but check out his crying about the supposed slash by Lebda.

Nichol said he took a two-handed slash to his hand from Detroit defenseman Brett Lebda near the end of the first period. No penalty was called on the play.

"Hopefully the league will review it and we'll see what they say,'' said Nichol, who expected to be out at least a couple of weeks.

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/snapshots/ind..._03.html#242813

Lang also took a slash on the hands in the OT, but you don't see him crying about it.

What a damn whiner. Well, he can just consider that payback for the elbow to the head that Lebda took earlier in the game.

My roommate broke his finger a few weeks ago and he is still playing...

Anyway, that game shouldn't have ever gone to OT. If Draper had just put the puck in the open net instead of off the post, we'd be tied for 1st place right now.

Maltby looked like crap last night, we need to dump him cuz I think his talent days are over.

I'm just going to copy my post from the preds forums over to here...

I really thought we came out strong last night, and then sort of went to sleep until the end when we surged to tie it up.

One reason is the Datsyuk goal, which I thought really put momentum on Detroit's side and tilted the ice in their favor just about the whole game. And I really think it was a poor goal all around.

Datsyuk had no pass available, so he either had to pull the trigger, or skate it behind the net in hopes that a pass opens up or he can try for a wrap-around.

Who knows how the game would have turned out without that goal, but I do know that it was a killer.

Overall though I guess i'm pretty happy this morning. We stole a point in a game that we didn't deserve it. and finished the road trip with a point in every game. Not too bad!

It's a common mistake a lot of goaltenders who butterfly make. They are in a constant deep croutch, which doesn't lend itself to being flush to the post. Add in that he got caught cheating towards the far post and Datsyuk really had the entire short side to pick. both goaltenders were shaky last night -- the Wings missed three open nets and Osgood gave up a two for-sure softies, and I'd include the Arnott goal as a weak one too. Osgood certainly sacked up in the shoot-out. I don't know what Vokoun was thinking on the Datsyuk S.O. goal -- he showed poke when Datsyuk as at the hashmarks, basically begging him to shoot. I think Franzen surprised him with the leverage he got, you could see by Vokoun's reaction he was really unhappy with himself on that one.

Vokoun hasn't been the best shootout goalie. He gives up at least one 5-hole goal in every shootout. He's more of a reaction goalie than a positional one, so while he's great during regular play, he's kind of weak in a one-on-one situation.

Sullivan and Hartnell are tied for the team lead in goal scoring. Forsberg is... Forsberg.

And then we lost our best faceoff guy (Nichol) in the first, and Zidlicky in the second.

I'd say that the teams injury situation is about equal right now. Preds was worse, but we got Legwand and Arnott back last night.

2/3's of the Wings top line out. Hasek (#1 goalie out) that alone has a bigger impact on the Wings than the preds injuries due them. Bert/Forsberg. Sammy and Cleary 2/3's of the second line out. Don't see how Nashville was worse off.