• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheelin06

Injury Bug?

Rate this topic

Has anyone else noticed the sudden injury bug with this team?

Hasek - Thigh

Bertuzzi - Back (aquired injury)

Holmstrom - Upper Body Injury

Zetterberg - Back

And I still think I might be missing someone.

Is anyone else concerned about this, figuring the playoffs are in a little more than a month and several of these injuries are "2-3 weeks" or "indefinately" ?

(I aplogize for the spelling, I'm in a bit of a rush! - Go Wings)

Resting the big guns before the post season and keeping them from being run in the physical games with Nashville. When the Wings win in the post season, they have traditionally been healthy. That and Nashville has a history of cheap-shotting the Wings top players.

Much rather have it happen now, when the guys can still get some games in after returning before the playoffs start. Besides, it's a good excuse to get some of the youngsters extra ice time for a couple weeks.

Guest Crymson

Bertuzzi (hopefully) will be playing within 3 weeks.

Zetterberg will be back within 3 weeks.

Samuelsson will be back (almost certainly) within 3 weeks. Whether he'll be completely back in hockey shape is anyone's guess. Hopefully he has taken boxing lessons whilst injured. This could prove useful.

Cleary will be back within 3 weeks.

Hasek will be back within one week, two at the outside.

Holmstrom will be back within one week, two at the outside.

Kopecky is insignificant to the team's success at the present moment.

Maltby is hitting and agitating again. Calder is fitting in VEEERRRRY well. Datsyuk is in top form. Filpulla is rapidly improving, playing impressively, and showing incredible potential; Hudler is fast improving and showing his potential as well. Lang is showing some signs of life, Franzen is showing incredible game, and Draper is playing with even more energy than usual. Lebda is showing some incredible moves. Lidstrom is rock-solid as usual. Kronwall is playing a much more athletic and smart game. Chelios is hitting more, Schneider is looking great on offense; Markov and Schneider's defensive skills are the only suspect part, though Markov's offensive skills are rapidly improving. We're looking good already, and we'll be firing on all cylinders when we get the rest of our boys back on the ice.

Edited by Crymson

Crymson, I could not agree with you more on your assessment of the way the Wings have played through all the injuries. The main thing I am concerned about it Schneider's defense not so much Markov's. Schneider has been absolutely terrible defensively as of late. People who blame Osgood for the OT goal against the Avs need to realize the horrible give away that caused the goal. Schneider's offense has not been impressive as well, maybe he could get some shots through once in a while. I like Schneider but his play as of late has been HORRIBLE. I especially like the way Franzen has been playing, he seems to be getting speedier and using his body more.

Anyway, I have been reading this site for a while and finally got an account to post. I enjoy reading everyones opinions and hopefully I can share some insight on stuff as well.

Derek

Meh, Osgood was caught flat-footed on the game winner. He shouldn't have had to dive across with his glove, and then he didn't have pressure on the puck, which allowed the Avs player to stick it underneath him. Schneider's giveaway was brutal, but goaltenders are expected to make big saves and bail their team out, which has been a knock against Osgood since he started in Detroit.

I agree with you on Osgood, he can either play really good or really bad but the latter seems to be how he plays most of the time. Where was the stacking of the pads coming across at least that would've covered more net? Osgood has to make saves like that to bail us out once in a while but that is a careless giveaway to make in OT on Schneider's part.

The injury situation is really a blessing in disguise.

- First, it's allowing more ice-time time for Filppula and Hudler, which is important in case we need them in the playoffs due to injuries. I, for one, believe Filppula is playing his way onto the playoff roster.

- Second, this might curtail the Wings pursuit of 1st place (and another President's trophy), which I believe is a good thing. IMO, it will be easier for this team without the pressure of another 1 vs. 8 seed, especially considering their recent history.

- Finally, we're getting Osgood some more playing time. Hasek is great, but there is a decent chance he's not going to be healthy for the entire playoffs. If that happens, I'm happier with Ozzie if he's had enough games to shake off the rust.

Edited by Airborn

Like stated above it's probably a good thing that some of the guys are getting some rest before the stretch run. The only two that need to come back as soon as possible are Bertuzzi and Samuelsson, mainly so they can get into game shape before the playoffs. There's no need to worry much about the injuries though.

It is a little coincidental that we all of a sudden have all these injuries but my guess is 2 or 3 of our injured players would be playing if this was the playoffs...

INJ(Hank) - Datsyuk - INJ(Homer)

Calder - Lang - INJ(Bert)

INJ(Cleary) - Filppula - INJ(Sammy)

Franzen - Draper - Maltby

Hudler/Kopecky (:( Not enough room for both)

Lidstrom - Kronwall

Schneider - Markov

Lebda - Chelios

Lilja

INJ(Hasek)

Osgood

Howard

That is what are roster will probably look like after everyone gets back. Hopefully we will be able to roll 4 lines for a handful of games before the playoffs start. That will be important for chemistry purposes, especially the 2nd and 3rd lines.

WL, I had the same lines in mind since the Wings got Calder and Bertuzzi. I figure those two will spark Lang (Calder already has!) and the Wings can have 2 offensive lines, a shutdown line (Draper's), and Filppula's line that can eat up minutes and chip in offensively. However, with the injuries they've had and the lines they've been using, they might be able to leave Filppula with Datsyuk and Holmstrom; leave Franzen with Calder and Lang; try Bertuzzi and Zetterberg together, either with Cleary or Samuelsson, then put the other with Draper and Maltby as your defensive line. That way they have 3 lines that could be real scoring threats, and a 4th that can play effectively against the other teams' scoring lines. Should be an interesting stretch run... I'm more excited about this team than I have been in a while.

Crymson,

Kopecky is way more significant Samuelsson. I actually think the wings are better off with out Samuelsson. His style of play is not made for the playoffs. The wings have too many soft guys that arent difficult to play against. Datsyuk, Filpulla, Hudler, Samuelsson.... You can only have so many of these kind of players and Datsyuk and Filpulla are all thats really necessary for our success.

Kopecky on the otherhand has speed, and is gritty. Kopecky would be perfect for us on the 4th line.

Guest Crymson

WL, I had the same lines in mind since the Wings got Calder and Bertuzzi. I figure those two will spark Lang (Calder already has!) and the Wings can have 2 offensive lines, a shutdown line (Draper's), and Filppula's line that can eat up minutes and chip in offensively. However, with the injuries they've had and the lines they've been using, they might be able to leave Filppula with Datsyuk and Holmstrom; leave Franzen with Calder and Lang; try Bertuzzi and Zetterberg together, either with Cleary or Samuelsson, then put the other with Draper and Maltby as your defensive line. That way they have 3 lines that could be real scoring threats, and a 4th that can play effectively against the other teams' scoring lines. Should be an interesting stretch run... I'm more excited about this team than I have been in a while.

Babcock will not put Franzen back on a line on which Franzen's scoring skills will not be utilized. Franzen has proven too good for this over the past few games, in which he has played on a good line. I will not be surprised if he plays on the top line with Filpulla and Datsyuk tonight.

I imagine Samuelsson or Cleary will ride with Draper and Maltby. I think it will much more likely be Sammy than Cleary. Again, Cleary's scoring capability cannot be utilized by Draper and Maltby. Samuelsson, on the other hand, only scores on slapshots.

Guest Crymson

Crymson,

Kopecky is way more significant Samuelsson. I actually think the wings are better off with out Samuelsson. His style of play is not made for the playoffs. The wings have too many soft guys that arent difficult to play against. Datsyuk, Filpulla, Hudler, Samuelsson.... You can only have so many of these kind of players and Datsyuk and Filpulla are all thats really necessary for our success.

Kopecky on the otherhand has speed, and is gritty. Kopecky would be perfect for us on the 4th line.

You'll forgive me if I don't understand how a player who has 24 points in 38 games isn't more valuable than a player who has one point in 26. Also, Kopecky is hideous defensively; he's one of the few players who has managed to earn a minus rating. Meanwhile, Sammy was #4 in plus/minus last season, and was well above even this season before he was injured.

Kopecky is not noticeably fast; nor, indeed, is he very physical. I don't know where you saw this. Beyond this, he can't score to save his life. He's just on the ice- he can't get much done, and he's never where he should be. Samuelsson can score, and I don't know where you gathered that, at 6'2 and 211lb, he is soft.

Samuelsson can, at least, score; that's more suited to the playoffs than a novice who cannot really do anything.

I'm curious as to what play style qualifies as "suited to the playoffs," and how you might judge Sammy on his one playoff appearance, in which nearly everyone on the team put up hideous numbers.

Also, 1.2m for a player like Sammy is a HUGE steal. I don't see why you think we'd be better off without him.

w00t. Franzenstein is a steal. He's shown a treasure trove of potential over the last few games; all that he has needed is the chance. Draper and Maltby, while great grinders, are not set-up men.

One does not break up the NHL's top line. Holland brought in Calder and Bertuzzi to strengthen the second line. I remember seeing somebody say that Babcock should line Bertuzzi with Zetterberg and Datsyuk because (paraphrased) "Bertuzzi lined with Naslund and Morrison and they were the best line in the NHL, and Naslund and Morrison are like Zetterberg and Datsyuk." Well, ok--I must say I failed to see the logic of such a comment, because Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Holmstrom ALREADY were the best line in the NHL.

I agree that the team is looking well.

Edited by Crymson

Kopecky does indeed play with grit. He is all heart out there and he flat out hustles. Yes Samuelsson can score in the regular season, but come playoff time i bet Kopecky scores just as much as Sammy because sammy will disappear.

Samuelsson is very easy to play against. We don't need players like this which is part of the reason we traded Williams for Calder. Williams is a pansy.