• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Inultus

Forsberg out tonight

Rate this topic

Guest Tunbo Batman

Any speculations about the sense of Forsberg's trade are meaningless until the playoffs are over.

well no they aren't since the price was so high that anything short of a cup would be a failure. and what are the chances of THAT happening?

I'd say 6,7%.

yeah...pretty lame thread considering bertuzzi and hasek being out, both players we've taken risks on.

The conditional picks minimize risk acssociated with Bert. If he doesn't perform, we don't lose anything. Nashville loses their picks whether Forsberg is hurt or not. We are barely paying Hasek over the league minimum, so I hardly consider that a risk either. Oh well, obviously you guys don't agree, but I think Holland agrees with me or he would have picked Forsberg up.

The conditional picks minimize risk acssociated with Bert. If he doesn't perform, we don't lose anything. Nashville loses their picks whether Forsberg is hurt or not. We are barely paying Hasek over the league minimum, so I hardly consider that a risk either. Oh well, obviously you guys don't agree, but I think Holland agrees with me or he would have picked Forsberg up.

Even so, he's only out for tonite right now. I'm sure if the Preds win the Cup they're going to be pissed at this trade because Floppa sat out on March 6th. :rolleyes:

6 points in 7 games. and as mentioned, it was a pickup for the playoffs. If tonight were a playoff game, he WOULD be playing. In fact, no one knows, he still could play tonight.

This is like saying that the Wings are dumb for bringing in Hasek because he's hurt right now. Makes about as much sense as drunk driving.

:clap:

It does not matter what they gave up for him. The fact is that he has a minor knock, why bring him into a game and risk him getting hurt?

What we gave up is a hefty price if it were just about any other team in the league. But not to the Preds, we had the assets to give up and not deplete our roster/pipeline. Another team giving up as much as we did might have given up the future, but the Preds still have plenty of future left.

Scottie Upshall was not a regular roster player, the 6th(?) overall pick in the draft several years ago and he still hadn't earned his way on. In, fact i'd say the only reason he got as many games recently was to raise his stock to be traded. Add in that he's NEVER been healthy.

Ryan Parent should be a solid NHL defenseman in a season or two. BUT he's already having back problems. And we still have Klein and Franson coming up to an already stocked blueline.

The first round pick is going to be very low in a weak draft. and the other pick is conditional.

So, before you talk about what a huge price we paid based on what you see on paper, look a little deeper and get the full story.

Oh well, obviously you guys don't agree, but I think Holland agrees with me or he would have picked Forsberg up.

So you know for a fact that Holland didn't try to get forsberg? Maybe he just couldn't match what the preds had to offer. Though, i'm sure a more likely scenario, was that Holland saw that the wings needed a scoring winger rather than a center. Bertuzzi and Calder fit that bill a lot better than Forsberg.

The first round pick is going to be very low in a weak draft. and the other pick is conditional.

So, before you talk about what a huge price we paid based on what you see on paper, look a little deeper and get the full story.

I did dig deeper, and for the most part I agree with you. However, no matter what you are giving up a first round pick. Now I also read that it is going to be a weak draft. The thing is, from what I know that makes first round picks even more important because there are fewer really good players to be drafted.

I guess we'll just see what happens...

What we gave up is a hefty price if it were just about any other team in the league. But not to the Preds, we had the assets to give up and not deplete our roster/pipeline. Another team giving up as much as we did might have given up the future, but the Preds still have plenty of future left.

Scottie Upshall was not a regular roster player, the 6th(?) overall pick in the draft several years ago and he still hadn't earned his way on. In, fact i'd say the only reason he got as many games recently was to raise his stock to be traded. Add in that he's NEVER been healthy.

Ryan Parent should be a solid NHL defenseman in a season or two. BUT he's already having back problems. And we still have Klein and Franson coming up to an already stocked blueline.

So you know for a fact that Holland didn't try to get forsberg? Maybe he just couldn't match what the preds had to offer. Though, i'm sure a more likely scenario, was that Holland saw that the wings needed a scoring winger rather than a center. Bertuzzi and Calder fit that bill a lot better than Forsberg.

All good points...I don't see what all the fuss is about anyway, it's been what? A week since the trade deadline? Nothing has been proven/dis-proven yet. When the cup is presented we will see who made out best. Hell Montreal did nothing, maybe THEY will win the cup, crazier things have happened. If I were a Preds fan I would be quite stoked about having Forsberg. I have been stoked about the Wings getting MANY players over the years, some have been awesome (Shanny), so have not (Krupp, Hatcher...) It's all part of being a sports fan. Good luck tonight Legionnare, (although I desperately hope you lose! :lol: )

Even so, he's only out for tonite right now. I'm sure if the Preds win the Cup they're going to be pissed at this trade because Floppa sat out on March 6th. :rolleyes:

:clap:

You guys are missing the point.

Holland himself said that for the amount of risk we took for Bertuzzi, there is a chance for great reward.

I think that the Preds have a chance for great reward in Forsberg, but they also took great risk. Hence I think they overpaid, because even if he gets healthy in the playoffs, I think the risk they took was too great.

Whatever though, if Nashville is convinced that giving up 2 picks and 2 players for a rental is a smart move, so be it.

You're also missing the point in 2 ways.

1: It wasn't that much of an overpayment for the Preds since they had the resources to spare.

2: As everyone else said, he was picked up for the playoffs. Whether he plays tonight is not relevant.

This topic makes no sense. Our trade deadline player (Bertuzzi) hasn't played a game for us yet, and hasn't played since October. And here some of us are saying what a waste Forsberg has been for the Preds when he has already played more games. Irony is gold, ain't in? :lol:

For all the talk about how the Preds couldn't use Upshall, he's off to a great start in Philly. Granted, there's not the kind of depth on the Flyers that there is in Nashville, but after today's game, he's got 4 goals and 7 points in 9 games.

Lets look at the underlying issue here. No the Wings didnt risk alot in terms of what they gave up, however, they did risk alot in the fact they had a big hole for a top 6 winger going in and have their hopes now pinned on Bert. If he doesnt play, then that need went unaddressed. It would be as if they did nothing significant at the deadline while 2 already strong teams added major players in Forsberg and Guerin. Looking at it that way, it is a big risk.

Lets look at the underlying issue here. No the Wings didnt risk alot in terms of what they gave up, however, they did risk alot in the fact they had a big hole for a top 6 winger going in and have their hopes now pinned on Bert. If he doesnt play, then that need went unaddressed. It would be as if they did nothing significant at the deadline while 2 already strong teams added major players in Forsberg and Guerin. Looking at it that way, it is a big risk.

True. Opportunity cost is a big part of it. However, I see the Wings as being set up to be major players in this summer's free agent pool, and I think Holland's made his moves with the idea of retooling for the future just as much as contending this year. And that's the big difference between the Preds/Ducks/Sharks/Thrashers, and the Wings. Lots of teams see this as THE YEAR. The Wings don't. Point being, if we can go deep into the playoffs, bonus, but overall, Holland's willing to take the risk it doesn't happen in order to make sure we're set up for success down the road. That's a lot harder to do when you haven't sucked for 15 years and you don't have a prospect pool filled with high draft picks.

True. Opportunity cost is a big part of it. However, I see the Wings as being set up to be major players in this summer's free agent pool, and I think Holland's made his moves with the idea of retooling for the future just as much as contending this year. And that's the big difference between the Preds/Ducks/Sharks/Thrashers, and the Wings. Lots of teams see this as THE YEAR. The Wings don't. Point being, if we can go deep into the playoffs, bonus, but overall, Holland's willing to take the risk it doesn't happen in order to make sure we're set up for success down the road. That's a lot harder to do when you haven't sucked for 15 years and you don't have a prospect pool filled with high draft picks.

Plus what Nashville gave up for Forsberg would basically translate to Kindl, Hudler, and picks. That compares to Matthias and picks for Bertuzzi...which is a much safer deal. No high end prospects, and the only chance we give up a first is if Bertuzzi does well, is healthy, and the Wings go deep. Very low risk in that if he can't contribute, we aren't out anything, and still swapped Williams for Calder to bring in a gritty, scoring winger.

You're also missing the point in 2 ways.

1: It wasn't that much of an overpayment for the Preds since they had the resources to spare.

2: As everyone else said, he was picked up for the playoffs. Whether he plays tonight is not relevant.

1. So basically you are saying that if I have a lot of money it doesn't matter how much I pay for something since I have the money to spare? I don't agree. Overspending is overspending whether you have the money or not.

2. As I already said, I look at his current injury as a sign that he will be injury-prone yet again throughout the playoffs. So, when he gets injured in the playoffs I'll have to dredge up this thread and say I told you so.

Edited by Inultus

Plus what Nashville gave up for Forsberg would basically translate to Kindl, Hudler, and picks. That compares to Matthias and picks for Bertuzzi...which is a much safer deal. No high end prospects, and the only chance we give up a first is if Bertuzzi does well, is healthy, and the Wings go deep. Very low risk in that if he can't contribute, we aren't out anything, and still swapped Williams for Calder to bring in a gritty, scoring winger.

This is exactly how I feel. Even if Bert doesn't contribute we have Calder (5 points in 4 games, that's better than a healthy Forsberg) and we don't give up any picks. If Bert does contribute (we go deep and he resigns) then we have one of the best tough guys scorers in the league.

I sincerely think we got a way better deal than Nashville even if Bert doesn't contribute (although I personally think he will).

1. So basically you are saying that if I have a lot of money it doesn't matter how much I pay for something since I have the money to spare? I don't agree. Overspending is overspending whether you have the money or not.

2. As I already said, I look at his current injury as a sign that he will be injury-prone yet again throughout the playoffs. So, when he gets injured in the playoffs I'll have to dredge up this thread and say I told you so.

1: Overpayment is a relative term in a case like this.

2: I have no idea whether he'll be healthy or not. I'm not saying he will be. All I'm saying (and other people have said) is that it doesn't matter whether or not Forsberg played last night. The Preds just want him healthy for the playoffs. If he's hurt now, it could be they're not going to play him so he'll be better for the playoffs.