• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Datsyuk looking good w/out Zetterberg so far

Rate this topic

I'm probably going to be kicking my own rear for making this thread as I am unfortuantely afraid where it might head, but I'll reluctantly take this chance.

Yep, it's largely going to be about if he could produce in the playoffs.

Yep, it's only been a few games with Zetterberg out, for those who are strong of the opinion that Datsyuk needs Zetterberg to be largely effective. I can actually roll with this opinion (to a certain extent).

He's looked really good though with all the injuries and being counted on to produce. His new line with Flipper hasn't dropped off much production, and he's still been able to make plays.

Now I've never been one to completely dispise Datsyuk like you sometimes see on here, but I'm not even close to denying the fact that he needs to be better in the postseason.

I guess I've been neutral on my feelings toward him. He's greatly skilled obviously, but could have proved to been good trade bait (before it was all but obvious the Wings weren't going to trade him once the new year rolled around and he slowly started to get it going), and there's the contract/money issues obviously.

That all being said, he's starting to grow on me with his recent production, I'm hoping and am cautiously optimistic that he'll be one of the go-to guys this postseason, hopefully he can produce early in the 1st round to get on a hot streak.

Guest Crymson

They won't be separated. They are very good alone, but unstoppable together. Besides, Holland specifically picked up Calder and Bertuzzi in order to improve our second line; once all the injured players return, we won't NEED to spread the talent.

I never understood the concern that Datsyuk wouldnt dominate when Zetterberg went down. I thought both guys proved that they're elite players on their own last season.

zetterberg walks on water in this site and datsyuk can barely swim. if dats is doing well, it's because the savior (Z) has blessed him.

I agree, i really think this will be the year he shuts all you haters up about his playoff production.

I also noticed that Pavel is actually starting to show some emotion now too. For the last couple months we're starting to see a little fist pump after he scores - that never happened prior. I think this could be a good thing because when it comes to the playoffs, you need to be able to play with some emotion.

I gotta admit. He finally looks like hes carrying a line and on top of that, he doesnt seemed to be as affected by the physical game brought against him these days. I really think hes going to be a performer in this years playoffs.

They won't be separated. They are very good alone, but unstoppable together. Besides, Holland specifically picked up Calder and Bertuzzi in order to improve our second line; once all the injured players return, we won't NEED to spread the talent.

The thing is, they COULD be split up. There's no denying the fact that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, AND the Wings all improved once the two were put on the same line. But now we've seen that Datsyuk can play his best even without Zetterberg, and he has chemistry with Filppula and Holmstrom. Filppula is a better player with this line than he is with Hudler and Langfeld or whoever else would be on the 4th line. This situation gives Babcock the option of exploring other combinations, like Zetterberg, Bertuzzi and either Cleary or Samuelsson, which would give the Wings 3 scoring lines (Franzen and Calder have played well with Lang) and a solid shutdown line, similar to the balance they had in '97 and '98. Like you, I at first had Bertuzzi and Calder joining Lang on the 2nd line hoping to light a fire under Lang's ass. So far, Calder has done that, and Franzen has fit in well there too. Maybe the best thing is to keep sets of 2 guys together and be able to switch the 3rd guy in and out. Datsyuk and Holmstrom, Lang and Calder, Draper and Maltby... the other forwards become interchangeable. Bottom line is, the more options the Wings have for line combos, the better off they'll be.

Don't mean to be snide, but it's starting to look like he's playing for a contract!! Which is a good thing in my opinion. The little guy is actually throwing his (albeit little) weight around lately too! Admittedly, he usually ends up on his rear after trying to lay a body on someone, but it's a GREAT sign! His skill w/the puck goes without saying, he is just sick! I think his backchecking sometimes gets overlooked too. In short, he's been dominant the last little while.. lots of jump to his step. As far as lines go.. he seems to be able to adapt to anyone really, so let's go Pav in the playoffs 2007!!!

Guest LivingtheDream

Nice thread SWF - this is not just another Datsyuk thread! (IMO).

I think two things are happening. One, he is being paired with the right line mates - he needs someone skilled (like Flip) and who works (like Flip and Mule) and someone who battles (like Mule). Flip and Mule aren't quite up to Hank and Homer, but are similar and he works well with that. Two, he is coming in to his own. He isn't just about making passes, he shoots and/or takes the play to the net when there is the opportunity. He seems a lot more sure of himself and is stepping up.

I think he is doing just fine. Better than fine. Remember, he didn't come into this league as a super star, he was a smallish very shy kid with insane skills who was picked 171st. I imagine this has been some kind of ride for him and it takes time to figure it all out. I agree that he should do well in the post season this year and step up as a leader (in terms of scoring and making things happen).

I never understood why everyone thought Datsyuk would fall apart without Zetterberg... Datsyuk's offensive talents are probably about the same as Zetterbergs ATM. He's a playmaker - he needs a goal scorer to put points up.

QFT

This is going to be an extremely interesting post-season. WIth Dats contract up, his great regular season performance as of the past couple months, his history of rough post-season performances, and what he does during this years playoffs is going to make for a very interesting off season with him.

Guest Crymson

Dats has been great.

I would still like to see center Bertuzzi.

I still don't understand the rationale behind these statements--do you believe that shuffling around the best line in the NHL will create a better line? Unlikely. Don't take the ZDH line for granted.