128 replies to this topic

#41 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Redwings-40-5 @ March 7, 2007 - 12:34PM) View Post

Take my word for it because i live 30 minutes out of memphis. Memphis doesnt really support the grizzlies. Most of the games come no where close to selling out, even when they made the playoffs.

no doubt about that one. And I like the Grizzlies. I don't get into that whole Nashville vs Memphis thing, I like both cities and I hope both do well for the sake of Tennessee. I hoped that Jerry West would turn that franchise around, but it doesn't seem to be so, his player moves are questionable at best.

But for anyone who thinks the Preds have trouble in non-traditional Nashville, check out the Grizzlies in Memphis, and that OUGHT to be a good basketball town.
IPB Image
"The people at first were saying, 'Why is there a team in Nashville?' But when you come here and you see the fans and the excitement, my question would be, "Why would there not be a team in Nashville?" - Yanic Perreault, January 18, 2006

#42 Redwings-40-5

Redwings-40-5

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:55 PM

Memphis really pushed for the grizz. Then turn around and the FedEx Forum isn't even half full, and the ticket prices are relatively cheap for a professional sporting event. Most of the time when i hear advertisments for the grizz they are advertising the other team that is coming in to play. I guess most of it has to do with how bad downtown memphis is, except for beale street downtown is nasty

Edited by Redwings-40-5, 07 March 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#43 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

this thread has become pretty usless now=)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#44 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Legionnaire11 @ March 7, 2007 - 01:05PM) View Post

You honestly think Arnott drove his elbow into Lebda's head?

You just lost a lot of credibility with me. I have no idea how you can think that elbow was not intentional. When you hit someone cleanly you keep your elbows to yourself. When you raise your elbom that's because you want to hurt someone. Have you ever played?

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#45 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

I don't think the Predators play-by-play and their color-commentator on FSN South are that bad. I missed the hit on Lebda, but I still think that dangerous hits like that can happen because of a mismatch in height. Sure he's still accountable for it - but it may not be intentional as most would think.

Did the FSN South announcers actually bluntly say "dirty" or "cheap?" It's not like Ken and Mick don't ever claim a hit was iffy. The bottom line is though, is that they are just trying to do their job and call the game - and sure, there probably is gonna be a bit of 'biasness' (but that is to be expected of most regional sport commentators). Really though - before you start trashing the Nashville announcers, maybe some of you should listen to Ken "Hawk" Harrelson of the Chicago White Sox. biggrin.gif

Edited by aflac9262, 07 March 2007 - 02:03 PM.

#46 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

"So, I have to ask you? If you were a hotdog, and were starving to death, would you eat yourself? I know I would. I'd slather myself with mustard. I'd be delicious!"
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#47 cincywingfan

cincywingfan

The Fronz approves

• Gold Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

I have the Center Ice package. When the Wings aren't playing I look for Nashville's game to see how they are doing. Terry is cool but the other guy, gheesh. Even though I like TC I could do without so many Bubbas.

Bottom line: Wings crew = homers, Preds crew = homers. They are supposed to be.

One thing that really killed me was the Nichol sucker punch. Both of the TV guys defended and indefensible act. Saw it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears. I'm going to look for it on you tube. You will lose respect for "bubba".

Edit: Found it.

Listen to this moron. "simply retaliated for getting drilled into the net" rolleyes.gif

Remember the days when dudes squared up and dropped the gloves?

Edited by cincywingfan, 07 March 2007 - 02:08 PM.

#48 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Inultus @ March 7, 2007 - 01:00PM) View Post

You just lost a lot of credibility with me. I have no idea how you can think that elbow was not intentional. When you hit someone cleanly you keep your elbows to yourself. When you raise your elbom that's because you want to hurt someone. Have you ever played?

You put your arm out there to keep a guy from slipping out of the check. You people act like he actually went elbow first into Lebdas head and drove it into the glass. In reality, he came in for the check, tried to get his arm in front of Lebda to make sure he was able to finish the check, and it came up and got Lebda in the head while he was falling down. It could have easily been a no call, so stop acting like Jason Arnott is scum of the earth for head hunting. thumbdown.gif

Edited by Legionnaire11, 07 March 2007 - 02:09 PM.

IPB Image
"The people at first were saying, 'Why is there a team in Nashville?' But when you come here and you see the fans and the excitement, my question would be, "Why would there not be a team in Nashville?" - Yanic Perreault, January 18, 2006

#49 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

^ Homerism at its finest, Legionnaire.
"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#50 WingsZR2

WingsZR2

Play for this and nothing else

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

I can't stand Terry Crisp, I wish someone would lock him in a room and make him say Detroit over and over again until her gets it right, Detroyat is what comes out of his mouth. He also adds a Y to every players name. When he gets excited its hard as hell to understand the bable coming out of his mouth.
Youth and enthusiasm will only take you so far. I'd rather be old and smart than young and dumb any day.

Except for Darren Helm, he's a badass.

#51 vandypred

vandypred

My Coach Has No Neck!!!!!!

• 31 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Salviaman @ March 7, 2007 - 12:06PM) View Post

I live 2 hours from Nashville, and evreytime I go see them play the Red Wings the fans are so damn stupid and ignorant. I can always hear some people around me say "what is icing?" or "man Detroit's goalie is almost as good as Vokoun." And the worst part of it is when Nashville scores they play that god awful piece of crap country song "I like it, I love it, I want some more of it". There fanbase is filled with jackasses, they jsut need to stick to cheering on the Titans, at least the win some playoff games. tongue.gif

So I take it you're an Alabama Crimson Tide fan tongue.gif ??? Perhaps they should play some 'Skynyrd'? Sweet Home Alabama, perhaps. I'm not a country music fan; but I recognize the need to associate with a major billion dollar industry in its town. Tim McGraw is a major name in music that people all over the globe recognize. I don't follow NASCAR; but I know who Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon are.

Unfortunately, Detroit has a name in hockey that folks w/ a casual interest in hockey or want to see what it's all about, recognize and check out a game. There's a percentage that will be clueless. Wouldn't it be better to help them learn and help keep NHL hockey in the South and thrive, where you can see your beloved Wings once in a while? You had to learn hockey from somewhere and I'm sure you asked the same questions at one point in time. It's not that big of a deal and good way to meet people and make contacts from time to time.

As far as Pete and Terry go, I like them for the fact that they are goofballs and seem approachable. The kind of guys you could go out and have a beer with and feel like you would fit in just fine. Plus Terry has won Cups as a player and as a coach, so he know hockey as well as a bit of homerism to keep the fans going. Heck, there are a lot of times folks down here think he has a 'man crush' on the Red Wings the way he talks about them. They are way better than the Columbus guys. Those guys put me to sleep.
It looks just like a Telefunkin' U-47. It's a way of life!!! - Frank Zappa

An object at rest cannot be stopped!!! -- The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight from The Tick

#52 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(WingsZR2 @ March 7, 2007 - 02:20PM) View Post

I can't stand Terry Crisp, I wish someone would lock him in a room and make him say Detroit over and over again until her gets it right, Detroyat is what comes out of his mouth.

Terry is Canadian, that's how they pronounce Detroit.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown, 07 March 2007 - 02:23 PM.

"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#53 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(cincywingfan @ March 7, 2007 - 01:07PM) View Post

Listen to this moron. "simply retaliated for getting drilled into the net" rolleyes.gif

Remember the days when dudes squared up and dropped the gloves?

Apparantly Spacek doesn't know anything about squaring up and dropping the gloves. Nichol shouldn't have hit him, that was a horrible act. BUT how does Spacek upend Nichol into the post like that, and then not even turn around? He has to know that someone is coming for him.

QUOTE(vandypred @ March 7, 2007 - 01:21PM) View Post

Heck, there are a lot of times folks down here think he has a 'man crush' on the Red Wings the way he talks about them.

It's true, there are a lot of times when Preds fans complain on the boards about Crispy being in love with the Wings and being Biased for them. I never see it, but some people apparantly think so. It was bad enough a few weeks ago that Pete Weber actually had to come onto the message boards to defend Terry Crisp and let everyone know that the Wings are not Crispy's favorite team.

QUOTE(WingsZR2 @ March 7, 2007 - 01:20PM) View Post

I can't stand Terry Crisp, I wish someone would lock him in a room and make him say Detroit over and over again until her gets it right, Detroyat is what comes out of his mouth.

Funny because everyone in Detroit pronounces it wrong anyway if you want to be technical. Founded by the French and pronounced Deh-Twa

Edited by Legionnaire11, 07 March 2007 - 02:27 PM.

IPB Image

#54 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Legionnaire11 @ March 7, 2007 - 03:29PM) View Post

Funny because everyone in Detroit pronounces it wrong anyway if you want to be technical. Founded by the French and pronounced Deh-Twa

one thing i can't stand worse then a reg nashville fan is a smart one..damnit!!!
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#55 cincywingfan

cincywingfan

The Fronz approves

• Gold Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(Legionnaire11 @ March 7, 2007 - 02:29PM) View Post

BUT how does Spacek upend Nichol into the post like that, and then not even turn around? He has to know that someone is coming for him.

I agree, he should have expected Nichol to take issue.

#56 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(cincywingfan @ March 7, 2007 - 01:32PM) View Post

I agree, he should have expected Nichol to take issue.

plus, not that it justifies Nichol at all. But he had that happen to him before, and ended up going head first into the end boards, he was lucky not to have broken his back. So, he took even more exception to the hit than most players would. Still should have taken an extra step and got in front of Spacek to confront him.
IPB Image

#57 WingsZR2

WingsZR2

Play for this and nothing else

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(Heroes of Hockeytown @ March 7, 2007 - 01:21PM) View Post

Terry is Canadian, that's how they pronounce Detroit.

Yzerman is Canadian and I've never heard him say it.
Youth and enthusiasm will only take you so far. I'd rather be old and smart than young and dumb any day.

Except for Darren Helm, he's a badass.

#58 Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Simpsonized!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(Lint123 @ March 7, 2007 - 01:31PM) View Post

one thing i can't stand worse then a reg nashville fan is a smart one..damnit!!!

we pronounce our towns wrong down here too though. I mean, it's spelled Nashville... Nash... Ville. Pretty easy. But it always ends up Nayashuhville. And I can't ever seem to grasp when to pronounce a town with a Ville or a Vulle. Nashville is pronounced with a Ville. But Knoxville is pronounced with a Vulle. And Louisville... wow. Loovull. How does that happen?

QUOTE(WingsZR2 @ March 7, 2007 - 01:36PM) View Post

Yzerman is Canadian and I've never heard him say it.

Crispy drinks a lot more than Yzerman blush.gif
IPB Image

#59 Jwo

Jwo

Let's go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

ive seen some clips from the FSN South guys and they seem pretty dry and boring. Like watching a golf match.
FireCaptain - "THIS ISN'T DATELINE, BUT WE'RE HERE TO STOP A PREDATOR."
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du,
When I see you Red Wings,
I go out of my head,
I just can't get enough,
I just can't get enough,
All the things you do to me and all the things you said,
I just can't get enough.
I just can't get enough
We slip and slide and we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough of...
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du

#60 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(Legionnaire11 @ March 7, 2007 - 03:38PM) View Post

we pronounce our towns wrong down here too though. I mean, it's spelled Nashville... Nash... Ville. Pretty easy. But it always ends up Nayashuhville. And I can't ever seem to grasp when to pronounce a town with a Ville or a Vulle. Nashville is pronounced with a Ville. But Knoxville is pronounced with a Vulle. And Louisville... wow. Loovull. How does that happen?
Crispy drinks a lot more than Yzerman blush.gif

hahaha oh man i know what you mean...i heard those all the time. Louisville is the best=) and my parents always went to Knoxvulle to see the vols play..hahaha
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg