• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hocketownwest

TooToo's attempted Check

Rate this topic

You can't just have skill players in hockey. There has to be tough guys to keep the game balanced. Otherwise you end up with cheap shot after cheap shot, players slicing each other up with sticks and other nonsense that the tough guys keep in check. Sure they aren't as skilled, and they do their fair share of dirty plays, but it's a lot better than the alternative.

Probably in '95 or '96 I saw a guy from the capitols go all the way over into the Flyers bench, they were kicking him, punching him and hitting him with their sticks. They would not let him get up out of there until the ref came over. It was actually a lot funnier and a lot less violent than I make it sound, it was like a scene out of slapshot or something.

i also like that hit..i can't remember who it was but when he gets hit he slides around on top of the boards on his but..it looks funny...they always show it on hockey hits and it makes me laugh evertime i see it.

but yeah good thing tootoo missed...that would just make me hate him more if he did connect :)

that's great :lol:

We saw that at the game and it was great!!! A friend watched the highlights on ESPN that evening and said the commentator added after the clip "Someone forgot to tell Tootoo the trade deadline has passed!!!" :lol:

Hey, I just watched the clip and spotted myself in the video! I'm the guy in the Wings jersey in the third row behind Osgood next to the guy (Preds fan) waving around the rolled up poster they gave the attendees!

Edited by Gizmo

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Biggest difference between Tootoo and Avery...

Avery bumps his gums a lot and then turtles, Tootoo actually drops the gloves. He's done some things in his career that i'm not proud of, but he's hardly on Avery's level. And he's not afraid to go with anyone. Plus you have to love that kid's heart. Has anyone seen the VS special about the Tootoo brothers?

and that missed check was something. I haven't seen a guy go into the opponents bench in a long time.

Just so you aware.

Tootoo has had 11 fights this year and 28 in his career over 160 games. 1 fight every 5.7 games

Avery has had 3 fights this year and 42 in his career over 306 games. 1 fight every 7.3 games

Tootoo has 10 goals, 23 points and 281 PIM's.

Avery has 44 goals, 122 points and 882 PIM's.

I think people have this perception that Avery never fights and all he does is talk. This is definitely not true. I think he has tapered off of the fighting in recent years not so much because he's a puss but more because he's gotten more mature, he's become a far better overall hockey player and he's contributing to his team with more than just throwing punches. Most players don't fight as much as they did when they first come up. And they tend to fight even less as they become better players and smarter players, ie knowing when to pick the right spots. McCarty went thru that. Shanahan went through that.

If I had my choice i'd choose Tootoo over Avery simply because I think Tootoo is a far more effective hitter and he's so strong he makes for a very good fighter who can stay on his feet. Plus, he's got a fairly hard head. But I don't think Avery is nearly as bad as people make him out to be. Having a big mouth doesn't mean you suck. Chelly has a big mouth. Roenick and Hull have big mouths. Belfour and Roy were notorious for having their not so bright moments either on the ice or more specifically off of it. Avery has turned himself into a pretty darn good hockey player IMO.

He had 15 goals and 39 points last year and he's got 12 goals and 30 points this year. He's on pace for another 15 goal season and who wouldn't want a player who can give your team some spunk and fire and pot 15 goals a year.

I sent that pic of Tootoo in the too too to a guy I work with and his reply

Last I saw it was one of your guys having to have CPR during a game.

talk about a low blow

Just so you aware.

Tootoo has had 11 fights this year and 28 in his career over 160 games. 1 fight every 5.7 games

Avery has had 3 fights this year and 42 in his career over 306 games. 1 fight every 7.3 games

Great stat :clap: I honestly didn't realize how much Avery used to fight. We're told all the time that Tootoo will develop into more of a scorer, he's done it on every other level. Not sure he'll ever be put into the right situation to do it in the NHL though.

dang, that was a horrible response. I'm ashamed of having anyone in the Predators fanbase that would say something like that, unfortunately there are more than a few. :thumbdown:

Guest micah
He's a pansy, everyone knows it. He hits people by skating from the other side of the rink and hoping they have the puck when he gets to them. That check is proof, but the Wing was smart enough to move and Fruitoo was dumb enough not to slow down. I iwsh he would have went through the door and face first into Val's stick.

Fruitoo? I don't know if I'm reading this right, a guy with a Datsyuk avatar is calling Tootoo a pansy? Come on now - Tootoo may be all sorts of things but a pansy is most certainly not one of them. He is one of the biggest hitters in the league and he actually defends himselves and his teamates on occasion. He plays the game with reckless abandon and pays the price for it with a smile on his face. Datsyuk on the other hand is notorious for disapearing after he gets roughed up a little bit. I don't expect Dats to play a chippy game because he obviously is quite small and weak, but I can't stand by and listen to a fan of that pansy call tootoo out. Dirty? Maybe. Unskilled? Maybe. A pansy? Yeah, right.

Fruitoo? I don't know if I'm reading this right, a guy with a Datsyuk avatar is calling Tootoo a pansy? Come on now - Tootoo may be all sorts of things but a pansy is most certainly not one of them. He is one of the biggest hitters in the league and he actually defends himselves and his teamates on occasion. He plays the game with reckless abandon and pays the price for it with a smile on his face. Datsyuk on the other hand is notorious for disapearing after he gets roughed up a little bit. I don't expect Dats to play a chippy game because he obviously is quite small and weak, but I can't stand by and listen to a fan of that pansy call tootoo out. Dirty? Maybe. Unskilled? Maybe. A pansy? Yeah, right.

Goals > Hits. Move along, nothing to see here. Take your Fruitoo love to the Preds forum.

What about the Good ole' Boys playin? Probert, Domi (even though he never had respect for the game), McSorley, Laraque, Terrible Ted....What about the old time pugilists? Think we should start training Tomas Holmstrom in the fighting???

Probert could score, Domi scrapped in the corners and could pass, McSorley was a goon, and Laraque can barely hold a stick since he always want to drop the gloves. I'm all for an enforcer, but he has to be able to score too.

You can't just have skill players in hockey. There has to be tough guys to keep the game balanced. Otherwise you end up with cheap shot after cheap shot, players slicing each other up with sticks and other nonsense that the tough guys keep in check. Sure they aren't as skilled, and they do their fair share of dirty plays, but it's a lot better than the alternative.

See above. Ovechkin can take all the cheapshots he wants for the Caps, I don't think the organization or the fans care as long as he scores 50 goals.

You're watching the wrong players buddy. Hockey isn't about charging and highsticking star players when they come at you and pull a move, it's about scoring goals, something your favorites players cannot do.

it does matter if a player can score goals. but there also has to be someone to set up plays. or hardly anybody will be scoring at all.

the attempted check was a hilarious though.

Edited by mooose kiiisses

We saw that at the game and it was great!!! A friend watched the highlights on ESPN that evening and said the commentator added after the clip "Someone forgot to tell Tootoo the trade deadline has passed!!!" :lol:

Hey, I just watched the clip and spotted myself in the video! I'm the guy in the Wings jersey in the third row behind Osgood next to the guy (Preds fan) waving around the rolled up poster they gave the attendees!

Ok im watching the video again :lol:

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Great stat :clap: I honestly didn't realize how much Avery used to fight. We're told all the time that Tootoo will develop into more of a scorer, he's done it on every other level. Not sure he'll ever be put into the right situation to do it in the NHL though.

dang, that was a horrible response. I'm ashamed of having anyone in the Predators fanbase that would say something like that, unfortunately there are more than a few. :thumbdown:

Well, that's the unfortunate thing for Jordin. He's just too damned good at what he does now. It's difficult to combine a fierce hitting and physical game and yet focus on trying to get better offensively. It looks like he's got the tools. He has speed and can get open. He can create chances on the forecheck and down low. It just seems like he's squeezing the stuck a bit too much. Hasn't quite found his rhythm offensively. I don't blame him though because he knows his job is to create havoc and throw the body. Probably hard for him to get much PP time or get on the top units when all the scoring is expected from Erat, Kariya, Arnott, Sullivan, Hartnell, etc..... If he ever gets his offensive game going it'll likely be next year or the year after and I wouldn't be surprised if you see his fights start to tail off a bit. If you want to have better numbers you're going to have to sacrifice something along the way. But his whole identity seems to be the rugged, little spark-plug so I don't know if he will be able to break out offensively. Time will tell.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Actually Datsyuk has been far more physical this year. He always does what he can in scrums (ie he at least gets in there to make sure its even). He still lays the occasional shoulder blow to a would-be checker (which I personally love). IMO, for perhaps the slickest, sickest, best stickhandler in the world (THAZ RIGHT, THE WORLD) I think Dats does alright for himself. He gets hit, he gets right back up and continues to play. Come to think of it I've never seen anybody really try to rough Dats up other than to try and finish checks on him and therefore I also can't recall any instances of this so called "disappearing" act you claim he makes after he's roughed up.

Can you be specific?

I sent that pic of Tootoo in the too too to a guy I work with and his reply

talk about a low blow

Punch that f*****. Or put your hands up to his neck, and give a little squeze. Last I saw that f*****, he needed CPR at work.