• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Flip-check

#5 and league-wide respect

Rate this topic

One of the tough (but still somewhat wonderful) things about having a star, hall of fame calibre player on your team is that you are forever doomed to no access at looking at him through the eyes of a team that can only view him from afar.

Subsequently this vantage point - while giving you a closer-look at the guy over the years - does take away one valuable thing: the outsider perspective that lets you know instantly just what measuring tape has been applied to him by the many, and how exactly he has been approved of and envied over. Absence in romance and friendships may make the heart grow fonder, but it also and more importantly makes you realize what you took for granted, and from that fact now see with more detail: the same can go for teams that simply never had that same thing in the first place.

The league's got a poll on NHL.com for who's most likely to repeat on their trophy-earnings from last year, and while that poll's favoring Lids is pretty inconsequential to me, it reminded me of this fact:

If you went around the league asking fans, and got the fans who didn't go around saying, "Yeah, Lidstrom sucks, send his ass back to the minors," you'd get this amazing eye-popping view of him even if you're already so well-versed on the Lidstrom 411. This in turn goes for many players who turn heads in all cities for their great play and good sportsmanship. I loathe the fact that being on the "inside" of some great players takes away that kind of outsider marvel, but I definitely ain't complainin' over having to put up with them. ;)

There are two types of views about Lidstrom that I've noticed on different forums.

A. the people that even though aren't Wing fans have seen him enough to know just how special he is and has been.

B. the people that haven't seen enough games to truly appreciate his shift in shift out, game in game out, year in year out subtle brilliance.

He's not flashy. He's not in many highlight reels. He doesn't do anything to stand out. He doesn't fly up and down the ice like Niedermayer which can be appreciated by looking at a couple shifts and being able to say "wow, that guy is something special." The same goes for Pronger and his physical presence and more in-your-face style.

Zubov is a lot like Lidstrom, a step or two below, and he's been greatly underrated/underappreciated because of that. Glad to see him pick up a Norris finalist ahead of more noticable guys like Pronger, Chara, and Redden last year.

There are two types of views about Lidstrom that I've noticed on different forums.

A. the people that even though aren't Wing fans have seen him enough to know just how special he is and has been.

B. the people that haven't seen enough games to truly appreciate his shift in shift out, game in game out, year in year out subtle brilliance.

He's not flashy. He's not in many highlight reels. He doesn't do anything to stand out. He doesn't fly up and down the ice like Niedermayer which can be appreciated by looking at a couple shifts and being able to say "wow, that guy is something special." The same goes for Pronger and his physical presence and more in-your-face style.

Zubov is a lot like Lidstrom, a step or two below, and he's been greatly underrated/underappreciated because of that. Glad to see him pick up a Norris finalist ahead of more noticable guys like Pronger, Chara, and Redden last year.

Flashy defense comes from making up for being out of position on the play. The reason that Nick isn't flashy is because he makes all the plays look routine. That is why many non-Detroit fans don't see him like we do. He is textbook in everything he does which makes what he does look unspectacular. The thing is, he does this stuff every game with little/no mistakes, hence he is a great defenseman.

Lidstrom plays the game more with his head than his body. Sure, he's got great talent too, but that's not what makes him such a great player.

I remember a quote from Babcock earlier this year on some of Kronwall's struggles by saying something like "He's got to make the simple play, then make it again, and again, and again." I think that's Lidstrom's game: takes very few risks, always makes the safe play, is never out of position... those things take brains more than brawn.

Flashy defense comes from making up for being out of position on the play. The reason that Nick isn't flashy is because he makes all the plays look routine. That is why many non-Detroit fans don't see him like we do. He is textbook in everything he does which makes what he does look unspectacular. The thing is, he does this stuff every game with little/no mistakes, hence he is a great defenseman.

Amen to that. :thumbup:

Many flashy defensive plays derive from an earlier mistake or bad positioning.

That's what's a little crazy about Lids, I agree. You don't notice him out there... even when he pulls off a crucial takeaway when someone's bearing down on him and the net with three minutes left. You just see the play, you don't see him really exerting much to do it.

But yeah, it's also like Soupguru and rwfan said. It's that simple textbookness and zero risk in his game: this makes him one of the steadiest d-men in the league.

That's what's a little crazy about Lids, I agree. You don't notice him out there... even when he pulls off a crucial takeaway when someone's bearing down on him and the net with three minutes left. You just see the play, you don't see him really exerting much to do it.

But yeah, it's also like Soupguru and rwfan said. It's that simple textbookness and zero risk in his game: this makes him one of the steadiest d-men in the league.

That's one thing the latter of the two viewpoint people don't pick up. They see his stats and assume he's an offensive defenseman that's merely decent in his own end. Defense has always been at the forefront of his game. He NEVER takes risks for the sake of offense. He always makes the safe play first which makes it doubly astounding that he's the highest scoring defenseman since he's been in the league.

Guest Tunbo Batman

QFT :clap:

Lids is the best d man in the nhl and has been for about at least 4 years or more now... And he does so with taking little penalties

4? Closer to 10. 1st Team All Star 7 of the last 8 seasons (top 6 for the last 10).

Guest Tunbo Batman

Lidstrom is a subtly great player. He's a connoisseur's hero. N00b bandwagonners don't go "WOW did you see that crazy pokecheck by Lids".

Whenever there's a 2-on-1 or something and i see a big "5" on the defenceman's back, I go "Phew its not really a scoring chance" lol.

Guest Tunbo Batman

he's completely destroying everyone in the NHL.com poll for "trophy repeats" , which indicates he gets a lot of outside attention.

he's completely destroying everyone in the NHL.com poll for "trophy repeats" , which indicates he gets a lot of outside attention.

Here's the simple reason why:

Lidstrom is probably the only guy even as a serious contender this year for the trophy he won last year. Brind'Amour and Datsyuk probably have the best chance after that, and neither is currently the best pick for that trophy.

Lidstrom is probably the only guy even as a serious contender this year for the trophy he won last year. Brind'Amour and Datsyuk probably have the best chance after that, and neither is currently the best pick for that trophy.

Yeah, that poll sucks. Thornton isn't going to get near the Art Ross either, that's why I didn't care about it.

Just seeign Nicky play in person made me realize, "wow" he just KNOWS what he is doing when he has the puck. He can lead the rush with all the know how in the world, or make a great first pass, You just dont realize how many mistakes he doesn't make in a game until you see him play live. You just seem him get the puck and think "it's ok Nicks got it". Saying all this about it, and his offense isn't even really the greatest part of his game.

:thumbup: Lids :thumbup:

Yeah, Zetterberg has all but won those two.