• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MotorCityMiracle

Mikael Samuelsson

Rate this topic

As a former player myself, I must say this kind of guy is the most hated teammate that you can have on your team. I've never liked, or will like the way he plays the game.

It's still mindboggling that Babcock gives this guy as much ice time as he gets. What does he even think out there? Why do we need some soft 6'2 euro pansy who takes wrist shots from the blueline. He doesn't even look to make a pass, if he has the puck he will shoot, no matter what area of the ice he's at. The quality of his shots are horrendous. And its not like he's a great defensive forward either, he's had numeorus turnovers in the past few games coming back from his injury.

And for you people that say this has been talked about before, THEN DON'T READ THIS. This guy is terrible and is no better than Matt Ellis was today out there.

And its not like he's a great defensive forward either, he's had numeorus turnovers in the past few games coming back from his injury.

I assume by "past few" you mean "two." I didn't notice any outstanding giveaways. He's a good defensive forward, to boot. Plus player this year and last, played third pair PK duty last year effectively with Hank.

This guy is terrible and is no better than Matt Ellis was today out there.

Considering the quality of play of guys like Lidstrom, Hasek, and Datsyuk today, I don't think this game was really a good measuring stick for anyone.

I agree with some of your criticisms, of course, but the above stuff is way off base.

As a former player myself, I must say this kind of guy is the most hated teammate that you can have on your team. I've never liked, or will like the way he plays the game.

It's still mindboggling that Babcock gives this guy as much ice time as he gets. What does he even think out there? Why do we need some soft 6'2 euro pansy who takes wrist shots from the blueline. He doesn't even look to make a pass, if he has the puck he will shoot, no matter what area of the ice he's at. The quality of his shots are horrendous. And its not like he's a great defensive forward either, he's had numeorus turnovers in the past few games coming back from his injury.

And for you people that say this has been talked about before, THEN DON'T READ THIS. This guy is terrible and is no better than Matt Ellis was today out there.

I understand what you're saying. However, I respectfully disagree with you. I like Sammy. He shoots...to a fault, but at least he shoots. I understand he's not very sound defensively, but I've seen worse. And ever since he came back he has a goal and an assist...2 points in 2 games after something like 3000 games missed? He's not HORRIBLE! 25 points in 39 games isn't THAT bad.

I agree with some of the things that you are saying, but i dont agree with you faulting him for taking to many shots. I dont think thats a good reason to call someone a terrible player, last time i checked you can only score if you shoot, now some of his shots might be stupid decisions but atleast he knows what hes going to do with the puck once he gets it. I also dont think the past two games are really good games to judge his type of play as noone has played that great. I wish he would pass more, but maybe once all of our regualrs come back from injury he will be more hesitant to shoot and more likely to pass. We'll see. I like him, but he's swedish so i automatically like him haha

Yeah. I mean some of his shots are those pointless wristers right to the goalies' chest pads, but he is good defensively and at least he gets pucks to the net. I have always like Samuelsson, so I guess I could be bias :blush:

Samuelsson is far from a superstar, but he's not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

If him sacraficing shots gets guys like E.T. and Flipper to shoot more, I'm all for it, but we know that scenario will never play out.

At least he's willing to put the puck on net more often than not. Good shot or no, you never know when a goofy rebound will pop up.

He's a solid second line player. Its a bad thing to take too many stupid shots, yeah, but he would be one of our teams top scorers if he hadn't missed all that time. Also, if given the right line those shots can be golden, but given a bad line (Williams/Dats/Sammy) it won't work. Same with any other player.

I honestly can say that I thought that I hated Sammy, mostly because of his weak as hell wrist shots that go right to the chest of other goaltenders. That being said, I was sooo excited to see Sammy back that I realized his crap shots were at least some sort of shot and that he is a player that the Wings need to get hot. Other players do the weak shot too (see Langer), but at least Sammy plays well defensively, doesn't take lazy penalties (for the most part) and seems like a HUGE part of the team. I love Matt Ellis, especially in comparison with Langfeld, but not in comparison with Sammy. Kind of like that saying you don't know a good thing till it's gone.

Edited by Schneids_is_awesome

babs tells mikael to shot as much as possible

the guy who should be in your dog house in Kronwall, but to be fair he needs to get better so babs has no choice then to throw him out there in thoughs tough situations and hope he can get his a$$ in gear

Edited by bogeygolfer

Considering we picked him off the scrap heap two years ago I can't complain...he can score 20 goals a year and doesn't hurt the team defensively. If there's someone I don't want on the ice it's Langfeld...he's like a young Keith Primeau except without the scoring potential or faceoff ability. Like others have said, Kronwall's been pretty bad lately, especially in the turnover department. Hard to believe he led the Griffins in scoring a few years ago, Lebda has outperformed him at both ends of the ice this year.

Because he makes Babcock laugh probably.

And because he comes in handy during children's birthdays..

Is he a circus clown for birthday parties? That would be so cool! :lol:

And for people who think Ellis should be used over Samuelsson

Ellis - 12 games.....0G, 0A, 0P

Samuelsson - 39 games.....12G, 13A, 25P

And as much as I like what I have seen in Matt Ellis, zippo points produced so far. Yes, I know he just gets 4th line minutes and the two play fairly different roles.

Samuelsson has produced to an extent though.

And I can guarantee you if Ellis or any other Grand Rapids call-up was put on a 1st/2nd line and didn't produce points, people would be calling for Ellis' or somebody else's head from the farm as well.

It's just a matter of wanting seeing the lesser-know guy play a little more. I wouldn't give guys like Ellis , even though I like what I've seen so far, more playing time just for the sake of it, when Samuelsson or any other player isn't just completely stinking up the joint and the Wings are still winning games more often than not.

Don't change something that isn't close to being broken.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Samulesson isn't that bad. While I admit, the pointless shots from nowhere don't do it for me, you never know what can happen off of shots like that. And he is a pretty good defensive forward, which makes it good to have him on Langs line considering how lazy Lang is and doesn't backcheck. I'm happy with his play, and he certainly is better than Williams. And the other good thing about having him back is it means less ice time for Langfeld. :rolleyes:

Guest LivingtheDream

Take him or leave him, but to put a trigger finger shooter on a line with Datsyuk is absurd. Then again, maybe playing with a play maker will make him smarter about when to shoot and when to pass. He did okay on that breakaway goal - I was AMAZED he actually made the first pass to Datsyuk. Amazed. Perhaps there is hope after all.

I'm Glad youre not Red Wings scout.When the Wings signed Samuelsson ALL the Swedish players lined up to play on his line,I think they know more than you.

How can you hate somebody as a teammate that you have never played with?

I can understand if you don't care for his game, but that's only part of what being an effective teammate is all about.

Sammy is a solid depth guy, and has had a habit of scoring when our top lines are not producing much. The Wings could do alot worse, IMHO.

He has size and some skill, but the problem is, he's a wimp. Anyone remember him in the playoffs once the games got intense? Floating up and down the boards, turning the puck over rampantly, shying away from the center of the ice, the slot, the front of the net... I don't care if he can put up decent stats in November playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, a guy like that will never be a useful player in the playoffs. I don't want the guy who shies away from contact and takes 50 foot wristers, I want the guy who takes a hit to make a play.

Hudler is pint-sized by comparison but plays with 100x more balls.

IF (and I'm talking IF) the Wings get healthy, I'm not sure Samuelson will see either of the top two lines during the playoffs.

And as a 3rd or 4th line winger, he's more than fine.

Agree.

He has size and some skill, but the problem is, he's a wimp. Anyone remember him in the playoffs once the games got intense? Floating up and down the boards, turning the puck over rampantly, shying away from the center of the ice, the slot, the front of the net... I don't care if he can put up decent stats in November playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, a guy like that will never be a useful player in the playoffs. I don't want the guy who shies away from contact and takes 50 foot wristers, I want the guy who takes a hit to make a play.

Hudler is pint-sized by comparison but plays with 100x more balls.

Agree again.

Samuelsson is hard to like sometimes, because he's constantly slopping shots off the backboards and generally plays like a puss. At the same time, GWG the other night, and not his first either. It's a toss up.

As a former player myself

So, are you a former player as in a former NHL player or did you play college? If you did, your opinion would have more credit to it, so can you please specify your qualifications of your statement.

i've never been a sammy fan. but he's not terrible. i think he's more of a third line player, and hopefully with everybody healthy that's where he'll end up. i do get sick of his shots from the blue line that kinda just trickle into the chest of the goalie when nobodies even infront of the net.