• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MotorCityMiracle

Mikael Samuelsson

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Because he makes Babcock laugh probably.

And because he comes in handy during children's birthdays..

The same could be said about Osgood, to a greater extent. He'd make a great party clown.

He has size and some skill, but the problem is, he's a wimp. Anyone remember him in the playoffs once the games got intense? Floating up and down the boards, turning the puck over rampantly, shying away from the center of the ice, the slot, the front of the net... I don't care if he can put up decent stats in November playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, a guy like that will never be a useful player in the playoffs. I don't want the guy who shies away from contact and takes 50 foot wristers, I want the guy who takes a hit to make a play.

Hudler is pint-sized by comparison but plays with 100x more balls.

He plays for $1.2m. We're getting a great deal. He's a steal for that much. Don't expect, from a player who rates that pay, scoring and hard hitting. You get what you pay for, though this is not true of Lang.

Samulesson isn't that bad. While I admit, the pointless shots from nowhere don't do it for me, you never know what can happen off of shots like that. And he is a pretty good defensive forward, which makes it good to have him on Langs line considering how lazy Lang is and doesn't backcheck. I'm happy with his play, and he certainly is better than Williams. And the other good thing about having him back is it means less ice time for Langfeld. :rolleyes:

Samuelsson is worth $1.2m.

I anticipate Langfeld, not Booter, will be the next one sent down.

Take him or leave him, but to put a trigger finger shooter on a line with Datsyuk is absurd. Then again, maybe playing with a play maker will make him smarter about when to shoot and when to pass. He did okay on that breakaway goal - I was AMAZED he actually made the first pass to Datsyuk. Amazed. Perhaps there is hope after all.

Samuelsson played on that line in place of Zetterberg. Babs was shuffling lines in order to find a suitable one. Sammy played on three different lines that night.

Sammy will not be on the first or second lines when all our injured players return. He will play with Draper and Maltby.

Edited by Crymson

Sammy will not be on the first or second lines when all our injured players return. He will play with Draper and Maltby.

Honestly , I'd liek to see Cleary with Drapes and Malts. Put Sammy with Fillpula and Booter or Ellis , whoevers still up when everyones healthy

Guest Crymson

Honestly , I'd liek to see Cleary with Drapes and Malts. Put Sammy with Fillpula and Booter or Ellis , whoevers still up when everyones healthy

Cleary has proven that he is:

A) Too good a scorer for that line.

B) Useless as a scorer on that line.

Cleary is a great player, but--as we have seen--he is not a playmaker, and can do nothing without a good center. Draper will be able to do dick for him.

I honestly can say that I thought that I hated Sammy, mostly because of his weak as hell wrist shots that go right to the chest of other goaltenders. That being said, I was sooo excited to see Sammy back that I realized his crap shots were at least some sort of shot and that he is a player that the Wings need to get hot. Other players do the weak shot too (see Langer), but at least Sammy plays well defensively, doesn't take lazy penalties (for the most part) and seems like a HUGE part of the team. I love Matt Ellis, especially in comparison with Langfeld, but not in comparison with Sammy. Kind of like that saying you don't know a good thing till it's gone.

Haha I feel the same way! I though Sammy sucked until he was out for a while. I will say this - I've never really been a fan of Sammy, but over the past two games hes kind of stood out. He does take a lot of harmless shots at the net, but there was a jump in his step on the ice over the past two games, he passes werent off, and he was far from the worst guy on the ice. Aside from that, no matter how many people still want to believe so, he is a better goal scorer than Cleary, is better offensively than any Griffin (although I really like Ellis' energy) and is a better complement to Lang than other guys that have been on his line so far.

I wont cry when hes gone, I DON'T think hes a true 2nd liner, and there are definitely a lot of players on this team I like more, but as long as we have the injuries we do, hes not so bad.

Guest Crymson

Haha I feel the same way! I though Sammy sucked until he was out for a while. I will say this - I've never really been a fan of Sammy, but over the past two games hes kind of stood out. He does take a lot of harmless shots at the net, but there was a jump in his step on the ice over the past two games, he passes werent off, and he was far from the worst guy on the ice. Aside from that, no matter how many people still want to believe so, he is a better goal scorer than Cleary, is better offensively than any Griffin (although I really like Ellis' energy) and is a better complement to Lang than other guys that have been on his line so far.

I wont cry when hes gone, I DON'T think hes a true 2nd liner, and there are definitely a lot of players on this team I like more, but as long as we have the injuries we do, hes not so bad.

I'll be shocked--and utterly sick--if Samuelsson ends up on a line with Lang. The pure sloth will be enough to turn my brain to mush.

Anyway, I'm confident Babs won't do that--he'll have Bert, Calder and Franzen competing for 2nd line minutes. Samuelsson has nothing on those guys.

I see Samuelsson with Maltby and Draper. He has played minutes with them in the last couple games, and it seems the best fit for him, as it'll make that line a scoring threat whilst not wasting a good center on him. That'll be the fourth line, but the name "fourth line" will no longer hold any meaning, as they will not be a get-on-the-ice-so-the-better-players-can-rest-line as is our current fourth line with all the injuries. I see the third line as Franzen - Filpulla/Hudler - Cleary.

Believe what you want, but Babs will NOT waste Cleary on the checking line. As I've said--and as we've all seen--Cleary can do great things with a great center (don't even start with the moronic 'oh, anyone can score with a good center' garbage, because you know that's not true), but cannot do much at all with a center who can't make plays. Draper can't make plays, and Maltby can't do much in that department either. Cleary got nothing done on that line. He's a scorer, not a checker.

I anticipate Langfeld, not Booter, will be the next one sent down.

Langfeld was not selected to be apart of the Griffs playoff roster, he's with the Wings for the rest of the year. I don't have a clue as to precisely why the Wings picked this most useless of all players--perhaps for the Griffins benefit--but that's how it is.

Guest Crymson

Langfeld was not selected to be apart of the Griffs playoff roster, he's with the Wings for the rest of the year. I don't have a clue as to precisely why the Wings picked this most useless of all players--perhaps for the Griffins benefit--but that's how it is.

Fortunately he can be scratched at this point; we can keep as large a roster as we wish, as we are past the trade deadline.

I don't think he's wimpy; I remember him getting chippy fairly often (and I'm always surprised by it).

He's only been back 2 games, he hasn't gotten his timing back yet. Let's wait and bash him after a dozen games or so. :lol:

I think it was Gretzky,but I'm not sure, that once said"100 percent of the shots you don't take,don't go in the net".You never know when you might get lucky,but it is frustrating when he shoots from the blueline without looking for a pass.It's also frustrating to see Lang cough up the puck before it even makes it to the net.I didn't get to see much of the game yesterday,but it looked like they had more problems than Sammy not passing the puck.

I think it was Gretzky,but I'm not sure, that once said"100 percent of the shots you don't take,don't go in the net".You never know when you might get lucky,but it is frustrating when he shoots from the blueline without looking for a pass.It's also frustrating to see Lang cough up the puck before it even makes it to the net.I didn't get to see much of the game yesterday,but it looked like they had more problems than Sammy not passing the puck.

That's sounds like something John Madden would say :P

I don't think he's wimpy; I remember him getting chippy fairly often (and I'm always surprised by it).

Facewashing someone smaller than him after a whistle once every ten games doesn't make him tough. Watch how he skates, avoids the high traffic areas and shies away from contact, plays scared with the puck when the slightest pressure is applied.

Facewashing someone smaller than him after a whistle once every ten games doesn't make him tough. Watch how he skates, avoids the high traffic areas and shies away from contact, plays scared with the puck when the slightest pressure is applied.

Right on,..good assessment. I've never liked Samuelsson.

Fortunately he can be scratched at this point; we can keep as large a roster as we wish, as we are past the trade deadline.

Yeah, but the pecking order has been established. If two players are out Langfeld is in first. That's fair to the Griffs--they keep their best players (or at least I assume Ellis/Hussey/Booter are some of them, as hockeydb doesn't have stats up and AHL.com is borked), unless three regulars are out of the line up.

Guest Crymson

Yeah, but the pecking order has been established. If two players are out Langfeld is in first. That's fair to the Griffs--they keep their best players (or at least I assume Ellis/Hussey/Booter are some of them, as hockeydb doesn't have stats up and AHL.com is borked), unless three regulars are out of the line up.

Hopefully fairness will cease to be of importance as we get into the playoffs. I'm sure the Wings management won't care a whit about what GR thinks if the Cup is at stake.

Right on,..good assessment. I've never liked Samuelsson.

Why? Because he's big and has no grit?

How about the fact that he scores ~.7ppg for $1.2m? Like I've said, you get what you pay for. A winger who could score at that rate AND hit would be WAY more expensive. We have a cap now, gentlemen.

Hopefully fairness will cease to be of importance as we get into the playoffs. I'm sure the Wings management won't care a whit about what GR thinks if the Cup is at stake.

Why? Because he's big and has no grit?

How about the fact that he scores ~.7ppg for $1.2m? Like I've said, you get what you pay for. A winger who could score at that rate AND hit would be WAY more expensive. We have a cap now, gentlemen.

Thats part of it. I think he's the prototype of a player that disappears come playoff time. Sure, he's ok i guess for the regular season, but thats 1.2 wasted come postseason. Just my opinion of him.

Guest Crymson

Thats part of it. I think he's the prototype of a player that disappears come playoff time. Sure, he's ok i guess for the regular season, but thats 1.2 wasted come postseason. Just my opinion of him.

I daresay you haven't really had much data with which to test your hypothesis. Everyone played terribly last playoff year.

I'll put it this way: would you rather have Samuelsson or Langfeld? Samuelsson or Kopecky? Etc.

I understand where you're coming from, but i still think he can help this team.

The one thing that i do HATE though, is when he is put on Datsyuk's line.

It took injuries to Zetterberg AND Franzen for this to happen. Hell, I bet Cleary would beat Sammy to the top line.

Edited by Crymson

I have one problem with Sammy. Playing with Dats is not the most difficult thing in the world. Unless your name is Zetterberg you should do just as Flip said when playing with Datsyuk "try not to be in the way". Rather than shoot from 60 feet away give the puck to Dats and find a better place to shoot from. Puck will find you.

I daresay you haven't really had much data with which to test your hypothesis. Everyone played terribly last playoff year.

I'll put it this way: would you rather have Samuelsson or Langfeld? Samuelsson or Kopecky? Etc.

Not really, but i like to use words like prototype to make it sound like i have! I think he does fit the mold of a playoff no show though..(going by the description of Samuelsson Aeo gave which i agree with)

Samuelsson definitely over Langfeld, i'll agree on that. Kopecky i'd almost prefer in a grinding role for the playoffs if he actually played more physical than he showed this year. Basically what i mean by that is i wouldnt expect either to score any so i'd just go with the grittier one. But Kopecky really didnt show me jack in his 28 games, so i guess i'd have to take Samuelsson there as well. Thats not really saying anything though.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

I'm wondering why so many complain about Samuelsson. Crymson, I agree with your proposal: Would Langfeld be better suited for his role? I'm sure that all Samuelsson haters can say no to that.

Im struggling to think of any player in the league that i'd take Langfeld over! Anyone?

Im struggling to think of any player in the league that i'd take Langfeld over! Anyone?

I don't think there is one. Usually guys who suck in most aspects will still be fighters. So that's a lose-lose.

How about Jeremy Yablonski? Ever heard of him? :P