Calder(1.8) - Cleary(.6) - Sam(1.2)

Grigs(.9)

Lid(7.6) - Kron(1.5)

( ) - Cheli(.8)

Lebda(.5) - Lilja(1)

Hasek(1.2)

Osgood(.8)

(Howard(.5))

Total = 37.7(or 36.5 if Howard/Osgood tandem starts)

This could leave a 3.5mill(considered cap goes to 40) cushion for another D-man and Bertuzzi/Datsyuk signing. The signing of Dats/Bert depends on playoffs, though.

Your third line is composed entirely of centers, and your fourth line is composed entirely of wingers.

Edited by Crymson

Ok, I pretty much just tossed the lines together to represent the payroll, not my prediction of lines next year.. I dont see Hudler & Filp playing with Bert as our 2nd line...

I hiope Kenny allows a little more roster turnover this off season. Even if we win the cup there is no reason in my mind to bring back Maltby or Lang when there are younger and cheaper players who can develop and potentially perform as well (i.e. Franzen, Flip, Hudler, and hopefully Griggs). I also wouldn't mind seeing Sammy and Lilja in another unifrom, but I think they both still have a year left on their deals.

As for players like Calder, Bertuzzi, Schneider and Datsyuk, it would be nice to have all of them back, FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. What that price is will depend on their play-off performances and the market. Its up to Kenny to determine whether to risk signing them now or wait till after the season. I can see it going both ways, but after watching Sammy and Lilja get locked up too soon I wouldn't mind waiting till after the play-offs to make deals with these guys.

Guest Crymson

Ok, I pretty much just tossed the lines together to represent the payroll, not my prediction of lines next year.. I dont see Hudler & Filp playing with Bert as our 2nd line...

Out of curiosity, why do you see Kopecky playing when we'll have more than enough money for a much better forward?

I hiope Kenny allows a little more roster turnover this off season. Even if we win the cup there is no reason in my mind to bring back Maltby or Lang when there are younger and cheaper players who can develop and potentially perform as well (i.e. Franzen, Flip, Hudler, and hopefully Griggs). I also wouldn't mind seeing Sammy and Lilja in another unifrom, but I think they both still have a year left on their deals.

As for players like Calder, Bertuzzi, Schneider and Datsyuk, it would be nice to have all of them back, FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. What that price is will depend on their play-off performances and the market. Its up to Kenny to determine whether to risk signing them now or wait till after the season. I can see it going both ways, but after watching Sammy and Lilja get locked up too soon I wouldn't mind waiting till after the play-offs to make deals with these guys.

Datsyuk, IMO, is currently an essential for this team.

This what I would do:

Hudler (.75)-Zetterberg (2.65)- Bert (4mil) (I think Hudler and Z could click and Bert would be the physical back up)

Filppula (.71)-Datsyuk (6mil)-Homer (2.25) (Homer and Dats click, and Flip is Z Junior. Perfect 2nd line)

Calder (2.5mil)-Franzen (.941)- Grigerenko (1mil) (good 3rd line with scoring potential)

Cleary (.623)-Draper (2.128)-Kopecky (.5) (4th line with good speed and a nice physical element with kopecky)

Lidstrom (7.6mil)- Markov (2.75mil)

Kronwall (3mil)- Hannan (4.5mil)

Lebda (.65mil)- Quincey/Meech/ Ericsson(.6mil)

Chelios/Meech (.6-.85mil)

Hasek (2mil)

Howard (.733)

Total cap hit would be about 47mil, and would assume that Sammy, Lilja, and Ozzie were traded. Cap space could be saved by keeping Sammy instead of Calder, but I think Calder really adds something to the lineup. I'm pretty sure Grigs will be over and end up on the third line. Bert and Sammy vs Calder will probably be decided on playoff performances. I do expect big things from Hudler and Flip next year. Both have really come on as of late; especially Hudler. I think Flip is a little bit more worn down due to this only being his second lonnnng season and because he game is involves more skating. Hudler is really starting to play well though and think both should and will get top lines duty next season.

Guest Crymson

This what I would do:

Hudler (.75)-Zetterberg (2.65)- Bert (4mil) (I think Hudler and Z could click and Bert would be the physical back up)

Filppula (.71)-Datsyuk (6mil)-Homer (2.25) (Homer and Dats click, and Flip is Z Junior. Perfect 2nd line)

Calder (2.5mil)-Franzen (.941)- Grigerenko (1mil) (good 3rd line with scoring potential)

Cleary (.623)-Draper (2.128)-Kopecky (.5) (4th line with good speed and a nice physical element with kopecky)

Hasek (2mil)

Howard (.733)

Total cap hit would be about 47mil, and would assume that Sammy, Lilja, and Ozzie were traded. Cap space could be saved by keeping Sammyhttp://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php?act=post&do=edit_post&f=1&t=40926&p=984369&st=25

Edit Post instead of Calder, but I think Calder really adds something to the lineup. I'm pretty sure Grigs will be over and end up on the third line. Bert and Sammy vs Calder will probably be decided on playoff performances. I do expect big things from Hudler and Flip next year. Both have really come on as of late; especially Hudler. I think Flip is a little bit more worn down due to this only being his second lonnnng season and because he game is involves more skating. Hudler is really starting to play well though and think both should and will get top lines duty next season.

Again, why would you break up our top line when they have shown that they are unequivocally dominant? One does not simply break up what has been, literally, the best line on earth since constructed.

Edited by Crymson

This what I would do:

Hasek (2mil)

Howard (.733)

Total cap hit would be about 47mil, and would assume that Sammy, Lilja, and Ozzie were traded. Cap space could be saved by keeping Sammy instead of Calder, but I think Calder really adds something to the lineup. I'm pretty sure Grigs will be over and end up on the third line. Bert and Sammy vs Calder will probably be decided on playoff performances. I do expect big things from Hudler and Flip next year. Both have really come on as of late; especially Hudler. I think Flip is a little bit more worn down due to this only being his second lonnnng season and because he game is involves more skating. Hudler is really starting to play well though and think both should and will get top lines duty next season.

Hannan at 4.5?? Detroit cannot afford to tie up that much money in Hannan or any other defenseman for that matter. Id be surprised to seem them drop anything more than 3M on a Dman.

Guest Crymson

Hannan at 4.5?? Detroit cannot afford to tie up that much money in Hannan or any other defenseman for that matter. Id be surprised to seem them drop anything more than 3M on a Dman.

I don't even know who Hannan is. Wtf?

Oh, and I'm awaiting the inevitable poster who will claim that we should sign Souray, because "he scores enough to replace Schneider and Schneider sucks on defense." Aaaaaaagh.. watch more hockey...

Edited by Crymson

I don't even know who Hannan is. Wtf?

Oh, and I'm awaiting the inevitable poster who will claim that we should sign Souray, because "he scores enough to replace Schneider and Schneider sucks on defense." Aaaaaaagh.. watch more hockey...

You're telling people to watch more hockey, yet you dont know who Scott Hannan is? Hmmm...

I would rather spend 3 mill on Souray than on Schneider. Their offense/defense abilities are pretty much a wash but Souray brings toughness to the table as an extra asset over Matt. Im not saying we should necessarily sign him, just that i'd take him over Schneider if given the choice.

Why are we going for small potatoes here?? We could land a big name fa forward this summer...

Datsyuk (6) - Zetterberg (2.65) - Holmstrom (2.25)

Filppula (.8) - Drury (5) - Bert (4)

Hudler (.8)- Franzen (.942) - Sammy (1.2)

Grigs (.8) - Draper (2.128) - Cleary (.625)

Kopecky (.5)

Lidstrom (7.6) - Kronwall (3)

Lebda (.55) - Witt (2.5)

Kindl (.6) - Chelios (.8)/Quincey(.5)

Chelios/Quincey

Hasek (.8)

Osgood(.8)

Total: 44.845

One forward (bert) and one Dman (witt) that will drop the gloves. Drury adds speed and grit to the 2nd line. We add leadership with Drury, and although he takes a lot of penalties, we have a physical Dman that wont break the bank paired with the speediest of Dmen that can make of for his lack of speed. Quincey takes on a similar role to Lebdas last year, filling in for injuries AND when Chelios needs to take some games off for rest. Chelios helps out in a mentoring role.

Guest Crymson

You're telling people to watch more hockey, yet you dont know who Scott Hannan is? Hmmm...

I would rather spend 3 mill on Souray than on Schneider. Their offense/defense abilities are pretty much a wash but Souray brings toughness to the table as an extra asset over Matt. Im not saying we should necessarily sign him, just that i'd take him over Schneider if given the choice.

Yes, it sure is odd that I don't know who this guy is. He must be in the eastern conference.. I'll admit that my knowledge of that side of the hockey world is limited. However, as per "watch more hockey"--I don't make statements about the guy.

I think you'll agree that Souray will command far more money than will Schneider. As a point of information, Souray's toughness is tempered with stupidity; he is close to top in the league in PIM. That can't help much, especially considering that he is a defenseman.

Scott Hannan is way overrated as a hitter though. Ask Sharks fans. His play doesnt live up to his reputation as a hitter. Hes a hell of a hard-working defenseman and a great checker though.

As for Souray, I agree. Id take him over Schneider any day of the week. Hes a hell of a leader too, but he'll be out of the Wings price range between the cap hits of Kronwall and Lidstrom. I would be surprised to see him get 5M.

Yes, it sure is odd that I don't know who this guy is. He must be in the eastern conference.. I'll admit that my knowledge of that side of the hockey world is limited. However, as per "watch more hockey"--I don't make statements about the guy.

I think you'll agree that Souray will command far more money than will Schneider. As a point of information, Souray's toughness is tempered with stupidity; he is close to top in the league in PIM. That can't help much, especially considering that he is a defenseman.

Hannan plays for the Sharks. Hes what would be considered their number 1 Dman, but hes not a top 10 defensman in the league. A case could be made for top 20 though. Hes not very flashy, doesnt put a lot of points and doesnt throw a ton of ground-breaking hits, etc etc. He flys under the radar most of the time, but he is a very solid defenseman.

Souray will demand much more money than Schneider. I believe the rumors that say he will demand Bryan McCabe type money. And even though he is a little more physical than McCabe, he is the same type of player: An offensive defenseman who can score points but can't do dick on defense. He can get beat by even the slowest of forwards. And since the demand for Souray will probably be high, I suggest we stay away.

^^^^yeah souray is a pylon.

IMO I'd rank the d-man we need in this order:

Hannan

Hamrlik

Sarich

Hannan and Sarich are both good defensive defensemen who can hit. Guess what? So is Danny Markov, who is going to be markedly cheaper and already knows the system.

Hamrlik is what you wouldget if you took away 10% of Schneider's offensive ability and increased his defensive ability by an equal proportion. He would likely cost more than Schneider, but would at most be a lateral move.

Plus, we already HAVE Schneider's replacement. Kronwall. No point in replacing himwith a guy who will cost more when his home grown replacement is very close to ready.

Guest Crymson

Hannan and Sarich are both good defensive defensemen who can hit. Guess what? So is Danny Markov, who is going to be markedly cheaper and already knows the system.

Hamrlik is what you wouldget if you took away 10% of Schneider's offensive ability and increased his defensive ability by an equal proportion. He would likely cost more than Schneider, but would at most be a lateral move.

Plus, we already HAVE Schneider's replacement. Kronwall. No point in replacing himwith a guy who will cost more when his home grown replacement is very close to ready.

I HOPE and DO THE ATHEISTIC EQUIVALENT OF PRAYING that Kronwall will indeed develop as such. I like the kid.

Plus, we already HAVE Schneider's replacement. Kronwall. No point in replacing him with a guy who will cost more when his home grown replacement is very close to ready.

I'll touch on Kronwall first. He hasn't been as advertised. Instead of being a good all-around d-man, he's looked more like gonchar. He still needs a lot of improvement because at this point even Lebda is better. However, the good thing is that he can still improve this year and erase the need for another d-man.

Schneider at his age is more likely to regress in all aspects of his game. Yeah he's an underrated d-man, but he's been hurting the team at times too. Hamrlik is younger, but also bigger and more physical. He can hit, block shots and play sound defense. The only concern for the team at this point is the lack of size on the back end, and hamrlik addresses that need. Same goes for Sarich and Hannan

Edited by Mighty Wings

I think people need to realize that playoff success is very hard to achieve and just because we get a winning team that loses in the first round to a team that goes all they way to game 7 of the finals (the last 3 teams that knocked us out all did this), doesn't mean we should break the team up.

No,not the whole team.

But there's a new generation of prospects coming up and some of them might deserve a roster spot already next season. While it would be great to re-sign everybody until they're elderly,this might not be the right way to go.

Besides,professional sports is about winning and wherever there's room for improvement,a good GM will address these areas (and yes,within the cap).

Why are we going for small potatoes here?? We could land a big name fa forward this summer...

Datsyuk (6) - Zetterberg (2.65) - Holmstrom (2.25)

Filppula (.8) - Drury (5) - Bert (4)

Hudler (.8)- Franzen (.942) - Sammy (1.2)

Grigs (.8) - Draper (2.128) - Cleary (.625)

Kopecky (.5)

Lidstrom (7.6) - Kronwall (3)

Lebda (.55) - Witt (2.5)

Kindl (.6) - Chelios (.8)/Quincey(.5)

Chelios/Quincey

Hasek (.8)

Osgood(.8)

Total: 44.845

This looks like a great team. Landing Drury will be a task for the ages though.

Also, I'd rather see Sarich than Witt.

I'll touch on Kronwall first. He hasn't been as advertised. Instead of being a good all-around d-man, he's looked more like gonchar.

Except that Kronwall plays much better defensively, and throws massive hits.

He still needs a lot of improvement because at this point even Lebda is better.

This is just plain not true. Lebda is a decent 3rd pairing guy, but he's not as good as Kronwall.

Schneider at his age is more likely to regress in all aspects of his game. Yeah he's an underrated d-man, but he's been hurting the team at times too. Hamrlik is younger, but also bigger and more physical. He can hit, block shots and play sound defense. The only concern for the team at this point is the lack of size on the back end, and hamrlik addresses that need. Same goes for Sarich and Hannan

Getting Hannan or Hamrlik means replacing two top four defensemen--Schneider (3.3) and Markov (2.5)--with one top four defenseman and one guy making the league minimum. Now, if you want to see Lilja, Chelios, or Lebda in the top four that may be good for you. Personally I think Lilja belongs in the 7th spot, and Lebda is not nearly good enough to justify being a top four defenseman. Chelios realistically shouldn't be either, though he has played well enough in limited time this year it would be unreasonable to expect him to play top four minutes.

Unless you think Kindl is going to step right into the top four and we won't miss a beat. Which will NOT happen.

Keeping Schneider and signing a second, defensive, pysical guy (be it keeping Markov or going with Sarich) is a far better option because yes, Schneider is not the best defensive player...but he has a ton of skill and plays physical, and he's not as bad defensively as Souray, Gonchar, McCabe, Jovanovski, or many other guys who make more than he does.

This looks like a great team. Landing Drury will be a task for the ages though.

Also, I'd rather see Sarich than Witt.

I would love to see Drury here but lets be realistic, in todays world of overpaying by small market teams, Drury will get atleast 6M this offseason.

*These numbers are all average of salaries*

Filppula(780K) - Datsyuk(5.5M) - Bertuzzi(3.5M)

Calder(2.3M) - Zetterberg(2.73M) - Holmstrom(2.25M)

Hudler(800K) - UFA - HARTNELL(3M)

Cleary(675K) - Draper(2.128M) - Franzen(942K)

Kopecky(450K)/Grigorenko(ATLEAST 900K)

Lidstrom(7.6M) - Kronwall(3M)

Souray/Philips/Sarich(ATLEAST 3M) - Markov(2.5M)

Lebda(650K) - Chelios(850K)

Lilja(1M)

UFA(ATLEAST 2M)

Osgood(800K)

TOTAL = 47.355M

We are going to be damn close to the cap hit.

So, yeah, Drury is not really possible. We still need another center for the 3rd line. Iwould love seeing Hartnell playing on this team and want Kopecky to be given another chance. Grigorenko has to come over this year or it is time to cut him loose. Samuelsson has to be traded. His salary is just too much for what he brings. We need another physical winger to take his place (HARTNELL!!!).

Markov has shown to me that he is a good part of this teams defense. Hopefully we can get him for the same amount. Schneider I believe will retire or return to NYR. He is too expensive and I want Kronwall to begin to take his minutes/place on this team. Another UFA is needed to take that spot. Souray/Philips/Sarich are the three I would target.

The goalie is going to be the main target for Kenny once Datsyuk is re-signed or gone.

Edited by WhiteLightning91