• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tazzer82

Pens are staying in Pittsburgh

Rate this topic

Great news for Penguins fans everywhere, and good for the league too. Official announcement will be made before they play Buffalo tomorrow night.

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH After all the uncertainty, and the back and forth discussion over whether the Pittsburgh Penguins would stay here or possibly leave town, the long wait could finally over.

KDKA sources confirm that the new arena deal is done.

KDKA’s Bob Pompeani reports that the city, the state, and the Penguins have all come to an agreement over how to build and pay for a new arena.

And that means the Pens will stay right here in Pittsburgh.

Pompeani reports that an official announcement is expected before tomorrow night's home game against the Buffalo Sabres.

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_071223515.html

I was leaning towards hoping that they would move, change is always interesting....but this is great news for the city....You couldn't possibly let Crosby/Malkin/Staal/Fleury/etc. go.... :thumbup:

Reports: Pens reach agreement to stay in Pittsburgh

The NHL, the governor, players, fans & pretty much nobody wanted the Penguins to leave Pittsburgh, but economics almost made it a reality. Now it looks like the danger has passed.

Multiple media outlets reported on Monday night that the team, state and local leaders have reached an agreement on a new arena that will keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh. KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh first reported the agreement on its Web site.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, citing unidentified sources, reported that the sides have reached agreement on terms for a new arena that will be ready for operation for the 2009-10 season.

The paper reports that the agreement includes a 30-year lease.

Penguins officials didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press for comment, nor did a spokesman for Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato.

A spokesman for Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he knew nothing of a deal.

"I never heard that. I heard nothing like that," Dick Skrinjar told AP.

A spokesman for Gov. Ed Rendell refused to confirm the deal.

"I can't confirm a report of any settlement," Chuck Ardo said to AP. "The sides have communicated since last Thursday. This is an ongoing process."

Sources told KDKA that the price tag for the project will exceed the $290 million originally discussed. The station reports that a meeting between all sides will be held on Wednesday to formalize the agreement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2796552

aghhhh, well i guess its 4 apiece against PHX, LA, SJ, CGY, ANA, VAN, and EDM and 8 apiece against STL, CLB, and CHI

craaaaaaaaaaaap

It's ok...that means I'll get to see the Wings at least 4 times next year :P

and for those matchups between BOS, TOR, MTL, and NYR, well, I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder?

I still think that they will come to their senses and revise the schedule....last time it was 19/30, when they needed only 20/30.... If not this season then next for sure.... ;)

Good for the Penguins, it'd be a shame to see them go.

You called it.

I've always liked the Pens,they're fun to watch.

I knew that they wouldn't move,way too much history of hockey in that town.

Kansas City Penguins would have been :crazy:

Kansas City Penguins sounds like Kentucky Fried Chicken to me. not exactly coo,l obviously :D far from the "Mighty 'Walt Disney Toon' Ducks" but still worth a laugh

as for Florida - they don't need a change of scenery, but a change of Mike Keenan

This is great news. I never liked the idea of the Penguins moving to Kansas City or Las Vegas. Pittsburgh is a nice city and they deserve a hockey club.

Thanks for all the hard work Mario.

Detroit stays in the WEST

Good. Hockey belongs in Pittsburgh.

Just a goddamn shame this circus went on so long.

+ At least we won't have to hear more "Save the Pens!!!" for a while ;)

+ The league won't have to rig more lotteries in their favour.

+ Pens won't be getting no high picks in a near future.

- Detroit won't go East :/

- Fans were hold hostage again

aghhhh, well i guess its 4 apiece against PHX, LA, SJ, CGY, ANA, VAN, and EDM and 8 apiece against STL, CLB, and CHI

craaaaaaaaaaaap

I think it's pretty selfish of us to complain that Pittsburgh doesn't lose their team just so we can play more games against the Leafs.

Just read the news myself. That's great for Pittsburgh. I really didn't want to see them go. Thanks KP for pointing out the other thread. I didn't see it in the first ten threads so I thought this was new news.