• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Detroit sports radio

Rate this topic

So I'm listening to 'Ice Time' today on WDFN and they are talking about the Wings and their playoff chances this year in which they really had nothing but negativity spewing out of their mouths. It was all about San Jose this, and San Jose that. 'If it's the Wings and Sharks you can be sure that the Wings will be out in the first' 'Sharks will probably take Game 1, and 3 and then they'll close it out in 5' and BLA BLA BLA. Then it was oh the Wings have a good shot against the Stars, Nucks, Flames, etc..but we still don't think they'll get anywhere near the Cup.

COME ON! Is anyone else not sick of this crap? The playoffs haven't even started! We haven't even seen how it's going to be with the entire team healthy yet they are calling them out saying they will go nowhere. Am I the only one that likes the Wings chances? I think *hopefully* with Bert in the line up and everyone healthy that they are one of the better teams in the league by far. Only problem heading into the playoffs is that only one line is scoring and that needs to change. If the Wings actually got all 4 lines rolling..they'd be dangerous as hell.

Anyways, im just sick of the negativity. It ALMOST makes me hope that the Wings and Sharks do meet in the first round. Maybe prove those damn doubters wrong.

Whatever, maybe it's better that the Wings are the underdogs for once, but I just had to rant.

Can you really blame anyone? This team has had unbelievable regular season success the past 3 seasons and how many playoff rounds have we won in that time? 1. And while the team does appear to have a bit more grit this season in games that have looked more like playoff contests the Wings have failed to show up. Do you really think it was a fluke or surprise that Dave Lewis blew into town and dominated his former club? What did Pierre McGuire say that Babcock was adamant about during the 2nd intermission? "Take control of the middle ice!". Lewis knows full well the weaknesses of this club. He knows, like all other coaches in the NHL, that if you keep the Wings to the paremeter and institute an aggressive forecheck you can beat them. And that's exactly what Boston did. BOSTON! One of the worst teams this season.

For me, I'm really going to try and enjoy the playoffs this year, win or lose. I have no delusions of granduer and to be completely honest I'll be ecstatic if we make it to the 2nd round. I still don't think the Wings have enough scoring on the wings, enough grit or the ability to counter an aggressive forecheck. This all means that a 1st round exit is entirely possible. Sure, Hasek might have been able to steal us that 1st round last year but in all seriousness do you really believe they had what it took to defeat the Sharks or Ducks? I don't.

The above strategies also allow other teams goalies to look much better than they really are. Sure, we'll get 50 shots but 45 of them will be from over 25 feet out with nobody in front of the net.

This team has better goaltending and a better 6 dman corp, but you still can't win games if you can't score more than 2 goals, on average, in the playoffs. The Wings desperately need Bertuzzi to come back 100%, Datsyuk to show up, and get a timely goal from their 3rd line. And I'm not convinced we can get even 1of the 3.

Edited by Hank

Considering Baligian is a Habs fan and Brady is Mr. Negativity about everything (he and Shep have had some historic shouting matches on the morning show), I'm not surprised.

To a degree, they are right. The Ducks, Flames and Oilers all beat the Wings by playing an up-tempo, physical style that took the Wings' ice away. Take away a puck-possession team's ability to move the puck and you've stifled them. The addition of Calder and Bert is not going to change the fact the Wings don't play ugly hockey very well. Since most teams with size employ this system well against the Wings, its plausible that the Sharks would be a tough team for the Wings to handle.

Personally, I'm voting for the Canucks or Stars in the first round. The Canucks don't play a slow-it-down style and I think the Wings can solve Luongo, especially with a healthy line up including Bert and Hasek.

The Stars are a solid team but I'm not convinced Turco can win in the post season and I don't think they'd out-hit the Wings either. It's not like Lindros is going to be throwing his body around.

Considering Baligian is a Habs fan and Brady is Mr. Negativity about everything (he and Shep have had some historic shouting matches on the morning show), I'm not surprised.

I don't see how Sean being a Habs fan really has anything to do about it since I think that would even futher bolster the argument that his opinion comes from a relatively neutral perspective. Brady, on the other hand, I'll agree with you on in most instances. I prefer to think he just likes playing devil's advocate regardless of what he really thinks.

It does seem like Brady and Shep have a new drop every other week of them shouting at eachother, doesn't it? "You're a jackass."

... Though, I guess we could revisit the infamous "Sergei Fedorov is better than Mario Lemieux" shouting match Baligian and Brady had a few years back. "You're a liar! NO YOU'RE A LIAR!" :lol:

/it's Shep-shep-shep

Talk like that makes me angry so I just try not to listen to it. It's not worth getting my blood pressure up over.

Besides, the last time people were talking this negatively about the Wings was the 1996-97 season. The year before they had set the NHL record for most victories in a season and lost to Colorado in the conference finals. The year before that they got to the Cup final but got swept by New Jersey. They were playing lousy hockey...completely uninspired, lackadasical...it almost looked like they didn't care. They went 3-4-3 in the final 10 games of the season. Their record was a far cry from that 62 wins they had the season before - I think they won like 38 games or something. A good word to describe that team in the regular season is "mediocre." People were up in arms.

Yet, after a somewhat shaky start in the playoffs against St. Louis, they won the Stanley Cup.

So, no worries here. Would I like to see them playing better? Sure, and Ozzie in net tonight against the Preds scares the bejesus out of me. But if they lose tonight it's not the end of the world. I personally would rather they don't get the President's Trophy...we only won the Cup once when we won the President's Trophy. Whether we finish first or fourth in the conference doesn't matter to me, either, because at some point in the playoffs we're going to play a team that kicked our asses in the regular season. That's just how it is. We just need to finish strong and start getting our guys healthy so they can get the line combos straightened out before the playoffs.

I don't see how Sean being a Habs fan really has anything to do about it since I think that would even futher bolster the argument that his opinion comes from a relatively neutral perspective. Brady, on the other hand, I'll agree with you on in most instances. I prefer to think he just likes playing devil's advocate regardless of what he really thinks.

It does seem like Brady and Shep have a new drop every other week of them shouting at eachother, doesn't it? "You're a jackass."

... Though, I guess we could revisit the infamous "Sergei Fedorov is better than Mario Lemieux" shouting match Baligian and Brady had a few years back. "You're a liar! NO YOU'RE A LIAR!" :lol:

/it's Shep-shep-shep

I've known Sean informally for a while - he used to host a sports talk show here in Toledo that we used to go to. He's told me he hates the Wings, he hates how the Wings fans think Detroit is the center of the hockey universe and how the organization feeds into it. So, in that aspect I'm not surprised he took the opportunity to take some shots at the Wings, which obviously he doesn't get a lot of chances to do if he wants to stay on the air.

That Brady - Baligian drop is one of my all-time favorites. I think Shep picks fights with Brady because Jamie is so laid back. Although, if you start dissing Jordan, you can get Jamie's hackles up. I remember how Henson used to just pick at him about that, just to watch him get fired up. Now THERE was a jackass. Hell, I remember when 3G and JB used to be on "The Afternoon Sports Page" waaaaayyy back in the day. Enjoy the game tonight between "Detroit" and "Nashville" on "Teeee-Veeee". "Should be a good one."

Talk like that makes me angry so I just try not to listen to it. It's not worth getting my blood pressure up over.

Besides, the last time people were talking this negatively about the Wings was the 1996-97 season. The year before they had set the NHL record for most victories in a season and lost to Colorado in the conference finals. The year before that they got to the Cup final but got swept by New Jersey. They were playing lousy hockey...completely uninspired, lackadasical...it almost looked like they didn't care. They went 3-4-3 in the final 10 games of the season. Their record was a far cry from that 62 wins they had the season before - I think they won like 38 games or something. A good word to describe that team in the regular season is "mediocre." People were up in arms.

Yet, after a somewhat shaky start in the playoffs against St. Louis, they won the Stanley Cup.

So, no worries here. Would I like to see them playing better? Sure, and Ozzie in net tonight against the Preds scares the bejesus out of me. But if they lose tonight it's not the end of the world. I personally would rather they don't get the President's Trophy...we only won the Cup once when we won the President's Trophy. Whether we finish first or fourth in the conference doesn't matter to me, either, because at some point in the playoffs we're going to play a team that kicked our asses in the regular season. That's just how it is. We just need to finish strong and start getting our guys healthy so they can get the line combos straightened out before the playoffs.

I agree, the Wings have little to play for right now and have an injury-decimated team to boot. I don't think the Wings really care where they finish either, especially since the team that finishes first may have to play Calgary in the first round. The other game the Wings lost in regulation recently? The Sunday prior to the Bruins game when they played an uninspired game against the Avs. Obviously, the team doesn't like the noon starts. If they lay a total egg tonight, I'll be slightly more dismayed, but only slightly.

I've known Sean informally for a while - he used to host a sports talk show here in Toledo that we used to go to. He's told me he hates the Wings, he hates how the Wings fans think Detroit is the center of the hockey universe and how the organization feeds into it. So, in that aspect I'm not surprised he took the opportunity to take some shots at the Wings, which obviously he doesn't get a lot of chances to do if he wants to stay on the air.

I've listened to him since I was attending the University of Toledo myself as well while he was at 1370, if I remember right. Overall I think hate is a strong word, but I can definitely see -- as a fan of an opposing team living in the Metro Detroit area -- that back during the 1997-2002 period the exposure and boasting of fans would've been a bit much. As for ownership -- if they can milk it with the "Hockeytown" bit, more power to 'em.

I think Shep picks fights with Brady because Jamie is so laid back.

I think Shep does it just because Brady makes himself an easy target.

Hell, I remember when 3G and JB used to be on "The Afternoon Sports Page" waaaaayyy back in the day. Enjoy the game tonight between "Detroit" and "Nashville" on "Teeee-Veeee". "Should be a good one."

Man, I haven't heard that in a while. I personally prefer the sound effects ("Jaws" theme for San Jose, etc.).

I guess I'm in the "they'll lose in the first round" camp, but I hope to be proven wrong. Sean Baligian is really bad at what he does, but any hockey talk is better than none at all, I suppose.

Sean Baligian is really bad at what he does, but any hockey talk is better than none at all, I suppose.

You think so, eh? I've always felt that Baligian was one of -- if not the -- best radio show host on hockey between the two stations.

I miss Art Regner on WXYT. He was an absolute Wings NUT and he was at least somewhat positive!

If I recall right Regner is going back on the air with WDFN soon.

You think so, eh? I've always felt that Baligian was one of -- if not the -- best radio show host on hockey between the two stations.

If I recall right Regner is going back on the air with WDFN soon.

Really? That'd be freaking sweet. Would he be having his own show?

until the wings show they have what it takes to succeed in the post-season i'm going to err on the side of caution. i like this team better than last year's, actually, but they still have the tendency to take at least one period off a night, usually two. that kind of attitude just doesn't cut it in the playoffs. it will be interesting if we can get everybody healthy, but that goes two ways: we'll have a lot more talent, but less chemistry. i think it is wishful thinking to think bert is gonna come in and instantly gel and make a difference. that usually takes time (although it seems calder has fit in almost instantly), and who knows what kind of game shape he'll be in, after all, it'll have been almost five months since he last played (if he even makes it back, his return has been postponed so many times).

so i'm not expecting much. that doesn't mean i'm not excited!!! and i hope they can get deep, if they get deep, who knows. but i'm not counting on it and won't be surprised if this year isn't any different than the last 3.

there is a difference between pessimism and realism. there's nothing wrong with thinking the wings don't have what it takes. it's opinion, people shouldn't take it so personally.

Edited by datsyukismyfriend

My whole two cents on this kind of issue...

I obviously didn't hear the interview not being from the area, but from the blurbs and comments in here it doesn't seem like the two were being just Debbie Downers.

I cannot stand both ends. I don't like blind homers who guarantee us to win the Cup, nothing will ever stop us, rah-rah-cis-coom-bah people who won't listen to ay logical rational that a team has flaws.

On the other extreme, I get so annoyed when people say that the Wings are done and have absolutely no shot to win when the games haven't even started yet.

I'd be lying if I told you I am 100% confident that this team will make a deep run in the playoffs. This isn't taking any other recent year/early playoff exit into consideration. But I refuse to already think that this team will absolutely get mauled by San Jose or get piped by Minnesota's trapping style and that the team should just not even play then.

Overall physical play/continuous tenacity will probably be the Wings biggest challenge again in the playoffs, but I don't see them etting absolutely mauled by anybody.

Who knows. Every team at this point has a fighting chance. I don't see any playoff matchups bringing any guarantees for any team involved. Wings have as good a chance as the other teams if they are able to get healthy.

Jack, you know how I feel about San Jose..... Same way I felt about Edmonton last year and Calgary the year before. Remember that conversation? :(

Matt, I think he's by far the most hockey-informed of the various hosts. My problem with him is his overall presentation. He tends to try to find a way to agree with every caller, it seems, which bugs me. And sometimes he takes a stab at an argument that really doesn't hold up and just won't let go long after he should have moved on. Just some personality traits that grate on me, I guess. Most of the things he does that bother me are not even during hockey discussions, come to think of it.