• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwing711

Nashville ... Catfish?

Rate this topic

Meh. I share the same opinion that they should have their little tradition and to have something to build on. It's a non-traditional market and they need every edge. Maybe in ten years there will be "rules" for when the catfish is thrown onto the ice and it'll seem like a fun thing. The fact they're copying Detroit seems logical as Hockeytown has so much tradition and heritage. I think we should take it as a compliment that they're taking something like this to create a buzz around the game of hockey.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

Honestly, that's what I thought too. If they had thrown one on the first Preds goal, fine. Thrown another on the second Preds goal? Also fine.

But five at once. That seems excessive and I can't remember five octopi ever hitting the ice at one time like that. Seemed like any more than two would have nailed us with a delay of game penalty.

No matter...we won and the fans at the Gaylord Entertainment Center looked silly (especially considering they threw the fish out on the ice when they were down 3-1 and not even to celebrate a goal).

i think the reason a penalty wasn't given was because all of them came down at the same time, so it was only one delay, it doesnt really take much more time to skate out there and pick up 4 catfish, than to skate out and pick up one or two.

Umm... Why did I see like 5 cat fish get thrown onto the ice during the game tonight? How is that even cool at all. I can only imagine the stupid pred fans that threw it...

"YA DUDE!! WE'RE GONNA START OUR ON TRADITION!! LETS THROW CATFISH THAT MEAN NOTHING AT ALL ONTO TEH ICE MAYBE IT WILL MAKE US KOOL!!!"

That seriously pissed me off more than Jordan Tootoo. He thinks hes cleaver for having number 22!! OHH MAN THATS SOO SWEET!!!

i cant wait for tomarro when we can see some octopie one the ice! that would be great

I hope not. Keep it as a playoff tradition and not in the regular season.

As for the Nashville fans that is just stupid throwing stuff on the ice :judge: .

Don't even try to compare it to the octopus because its a practice that is done in playoffs and not in regular season games.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

I hope not. Keep it as a playoff tradition and not in the regular season.

As for the Nashville fans that is just stupid throwing stuff on the ice :judge: .

Don't even try to compare it to the octopus because its a practice that is done in playoffs and not in regular season games.

ive actually seen it in quite a few regular season games

i dont understand why they cant have their catfish, it's a typical southern food , i'm sure it was inspired by the octopus but who cares. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

ive actually seen it in quite a few regular season games

i dont understand why they cant have their catfish, it's a typical southern food , i'm sure it was inspired by the octopus but who cares. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Really because i never seen it done before at the joe out of all the times i watched a red wings regular season game.

I have no problem with them doing it. But it has no value or tradition if its done during the regular season and it's just like throwing cups and other trash on to the ice.

They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, so we as Wings fans should be honored. Honestly, who cares? They are trying to start a tradition of their own and it will likely go the way of the "Rat Attack" in Florida.

I have no problem with them doing it. But it has no value or tradition if its done during the regular season and it's just like throwing cups and other trash on to the ice.

You have to remember though, in their short history, this is about as close to the playoffs as you can get without being in them. They are challenging for the President's Trophy, which may be no big deal to us but is to a franchise that is 10 years old. Also, they are fighting what they consider their hated rival for the #1 spot. So, I can understand them throwing them to "show us up", kind of like a little brother realizing he can slap box with his bigger brother and hold his own now.

They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, so we as Wings fans should be honored. Honestly, who cares? They are trying to start a tradition of their own and it will likely go the way of the "Rat Attack" in Florida.

They did the Rat Attacks in Florida for the playoffs or sometimes for big regular season games.

Florida isnt in the playoffs enough to have traditions.

Nashville is.

I think they've been in twice.

Also, I don't know if this is as much a tradition for Nashville, as it is mocking the Red Wings tradition. We'll have to see if we can get one of the Nashville guys to answer that for us. I don't believe they throw the fish against any other team.

Edited by Airborn

boy, people are really quick to bash on southern people and their catfish.

its not like they're getting fresh tuna out in nashville these days. Catfish is very symbolic of southern culture...i mean, would you want them throwing stray euthanized cats out on the ice? Seems a lot better than the alternative.

I feel like our octopus has a lot more impact, as its usually done w/in certain parameters...but i could care less what our competition is doing. Its like we should figure out if they're selling hotdogs in their concessions too...because we KNOW we had that before they did.

It seems to me like people either don't know or are ignoring that Nashville's fan base was in a sense "born" from the Wings fan base because of the transplants who moved down there in the late 80's and early 90's. So in a sense the tradition of the catfish down there was "born" from the octopus tradition not a "copy" of it. It's most definitely a compliment IMHO.

And for the love of God can the hillbilly/redneck crap from everybody. Not everybody from the South are those types of people so enough already.

You're living in a trailer and dating your sister, aren't you? Just kidding, but you left yourself wide open on that one.

Attention Red Wings fans:

Please save the Octopi for the playoffs. It's a PLAYOFF tradition.

The 1952 playoffs featured the start of the traditionâ€â€the octopus throw. The owner of a local fish market, Peter Cusimano, threw one from the stands and onto the ice. The eight legs were purportedly symbolic of the eight playoff wins it took to win the Stanley Cup at the time. The Red Wings went on to sweep both of their opponents that year en route to a Stanley Cup championship. The NHL has, at various times, tried to eliminate this tradition, but it continues to this day.

Attention Preds fans:

:thumbdown: The catfish gets zero points for originality and the fans get zero points for timing. They are very lucky they did not get a delay of game penalty last night. I could care less what you decide to throw on the ice in an attempt to manufacture tradition, but I really was a little embarrassed for you. I know it’s all in good fun but I understand some of your fans wish to be taken seriously. The catfish during a regular season loss is not helping them.

I guess my question is simply... WTF does it have to do with hockey? At least with us throwing Octipus on the ice it has a hockey tie into the story... along with the Rats in Florida. But WTF does catfish have to do with the preds and their org? Maybe they eat it before every game?