• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Crymson

NHL.com at it AGAIN!

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -Kyle Calder scored and had two assists, and the Detroit Red Wings moved within a point of NHL-leading Nashville by holding off the Predators 5-2 on Tuesday night.

The teams meet again Wednesday night in Detroit, where the Red Wings can move ahead of the Predators in the Central Division, the Western Conference and take over the overall lead in the chase for the President's Trophy.

This is the first time this season the road team has won, but the Red Wings have yet to lose to the Predators in Nashville during the month of March since the team entered the league. They improved to 5-0-1 in that stretch.

Jiri Hudler and Valtteri Filippula each scored a goal and an assist, and Robert Lang and Kirk Maltby also had a goal apiece for Detroit. The Red Wings have a game in hand on Nashville.

Alexander Radulov and Martin Erat each scored power-play goals for Nashville.

These teams couldn't be much closer at this point in the season. Nashville came in having earned at least a point in 10 straight games, a streak Detroit also had before a regulation loss to Boston on Sunday. The Predators also have 98 points, compared to the Red Wings' 97.

The Red Wings gave Nashville every opportunity to get back into the game after Hudler scored his 12th at 1:24 of the third for a 3-1 lead.

Detroit gave Nashville a 5-on-3, and Erat scored eight seconds later off a rebound of Shea Weber's shot from the slot to pull the Predators within 3-2 at 5:07.

The Predators finished 2-of-8 with the man advantage, but Detroit killed off three power plays in the final 15 minutes. Calder scored his ninth with two minutes left off Nashville defenseman Marek Zidlicky's skate, and Filippula added an unassisted goal with 81 seconds left to seal the victory.

Detroit came limping in with Henrik Zetterberg missing his seventh game because of an inflamed disk in his back. Forward Daniel Cleary missed his eighth, and defenseman Danny Markov also was out for his third.

The Predators didn't have Peter Forsberg (upper body injury) for a fourth game. Steve Sullivan missed his ninth with his own back problem, while Scott Hartnell (foot) and Scott Nichol (broken thumb) aren't expected back for at least a couple more weeks.

Nashville coach Barry Trotz tried to send a message from the start, giving Jordin Tootoo - the Predators' leader with 94 penalty minutes - a rare start. It worked, as Tootoo took two shots in seven shifts and aggravated Mathieu Schneider into high-sticking him near the Nashville bench.

But Detroit still led 1-0 on Robert Lang's 18th goal at 1:39.

Radulov tied it with his power-play goal off a nice cross-ice pass from David Legwand at 7:02. The Predators outshot Detroit 13-4 in the first period.

The Red Wings took over in the second period. Maltby put Detroit up to stay at 4:30 with his fourth goal this season from in front of the goal after Kris Draper passed the puck to him from behind the net.

Not even tossing five catfish onto the ice for good luck helped the Predators. They got Erat's goal to pull close, but he had to be helped off the ice after colliding with teammate Jason Arnott late in the third.

Notes: Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter tied his career-high by skating in his 71st game this season, which is what he played in 2005-06. Only Suter, Paul Kariya and J.P. Dumont haven't missed a game this season for Nashville. ... Detroit improved to 30-4-2 when scoring first.

Filipulla, eh? Sounds like a dolphin to me.

All I can say is that Bart and Rex looked sharp tonight.

was Oswald in goal tonight? :P

Hassock and Oswald, the sexy tandem in Detroit!

I must have missed that one, which brilliant organization fathomed up that little gem?

Edited by Vincanni

All I can say is that Bart and Rex looked sharp tonight.

I must have missed that one, which brilliant organization fathomed up that little gem?

some local rag in St. Louis, I forget the source. It made me laugh, just like the Hassock thing. You'd think they could get something as simple as the goalie's name right.

you know this isn't NHL.com doing this. The storys just off the AP wire

Yep. And while it's the AP press' job to get the names right and do the checks, I still mispell Filppula a lot (might have done it just there). I just refer to him as Flipper now, easier that way. ;)

It was amusing watching Keith Jones completely trip over Flip's name during the highlights during the intermission of the CHI/SJS game on Versus last night... He finally gave up and said "...the guy who's name I can't pronounce scored on the breakaway".

I remember the LA Kings FSN station kept referring to Legace as Cujo a season or two back...which was pretty humorous considering that Cujo was a Coyote at the time. The funnier thing was that it was the color guy who kept saying...but the analyst was deafening quiet each time the guy made the blunder.

It would make sense if Oswald was in net for the Wings....he IS an octopus.
Before that, he was the predecessor of Mickey Mouse. Walt Disney found out after the fact that in the contract with his distributor he'd signed all of the rights away to Oswald. He then moved out west in a funk and started doodling sketches of this mouse... and "the rest is history."

IPB Image

Edited by Gizmo

Yep. And while it's the AP press' job to get the names right and do the checks, I still mispell Filppula a lot (might have done it just there). I just refer to him as Flipper now, easier that way. ;)

Are to saying that the AP should just refer to him as Flipper now so that there can be no misspelling, and no confusion? :P

He might be offended...

The Detroit News isn't really any better when it comes to fact checking. Look at today's Red Wing Notebook.

The Wings lost forward Pavel Datsyuk and defenseman Mathieu Schneider late last season. Schneider returned for the start of the playoffs, Datsyuk not until Game 3.

The Wings were eliminated in the first round by the Canucks.

Hmmmm. I thought it was the Oilers.

I thought his name was Filippula back when he was a prospect. The problem is, of the three ways I've heard his name pronounced, the real way is by far the worst. Filippula flows more naturally. Filppula works, too. Filppula sucks.

The kid should change it.

I thought his name was Filippula back when he was a prospect. The problem is, of the three ways I've heard his name pronounced, the real way is by far the worst. Filippula flows more naturally. Filppula works, too. Filppula sucks.

Filppula, Filippula. Makes me think of "Finiculi-Finicula" :P

I mostly hear it pronounced "Fil-PU-la" with the U pronounced "oo," as in Booter. That doesn't mean it's how he says it, though. Finnish names are difficult for us English speakers, apparently.

These spelling goofs are quickly becoming some sort of a weekly amusement. :hehe:

Yeah, I bet Flip's name is a real pain in the ass to pronounce and even write for native English speakers. For us Finns it goes smoothly (obviously) since the phonetics are a bit different. Maybe he should americanize (what a word) his name so that it would get along with the English pronounciation as well.

A name contest for Flip?

I say his name like Dracula would say it.

And I giggle.

Edited by Heaton