• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Zetterberg's injury: March 30th return?

Rate this topic

I am confused by the mixed messages from the organization. First Babcock said Zetterberg will probably be back before the playoffs and now zetts is saying he isn't so confident. Makes me worried.

If it is his back, he could have no idea, so therefore not be confident in giving a timetable for return.

I'm still wondering if it's his wrist and not his back. I'm hoping it's his wrist and not his back, actually. Cortisone did the job last time and it's only tendonitis. If it were his wrist though, wouldn't he be skating by now?

Could easily be something like this ARice. And he had trouble with it before the season started and was concidering surgery if my memory serves me right.

Then again, I remember that check in the Flames game Matt was talking about, and it easily be from that. Zetterberg and Datsyuk have taken all lot of hits, slashes, and checks. Could be anything.

I certainly WISH it was his wrist! *sad to say..but it sure as hell beats a back injury* Maybe it's not even that bad and the Wings are just being EXTRA cautious. Or maybe that's just me trying to be positive.

I would agree with you - but after seeing what happened last year with Datsyuk, i find it very hard to look at this thing positive.

Well it looks like Z is getting a bit better. I mean, he's moving in the right direction. If you scroll down past the Flip news (thank God he's feeling better too) you can see what Z says about it. To summarize, for those who don't wish to click on the link, he says he is going to do some rehab work starting Monday. Apparently he is moving better now "getting into the car, out of the car." It must have been pretty bad if he was having trouble just getting into a car! :( But Babs seems confident that Hank will return with 5 games to play in the regular season. Get better soon Zata!!!

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde....xml&coll=1

I don't mind not hearing about it. I figure the more I hear about it the worse it is. If he is "hurt" the team won't release info on where the problem is. If he is "injured" then we start getting the dates and "hopefullys" that coaches and staff throw around.

Guest LivingtheDream

Calm people, calm. Back injuries take time and he needs to rest for a great deal of time. Sounds like the rest is over and now he is starting back to activities of daily living. He is a strong young guy who also happens to be a super conditioned athelete. He will be okay - they have to play it slow and smart.

this morning's article:

Q . How about Henrik Zetterberg (back)?

A . A trickier question. No one, including Zetterberg, has a definite idea of when he'll be back.

Needless to say, the Wings need their top offensive threat healthy for the playoffs.

It does sound, though, as if Zetterberg will be back a week, maybe two, before the playoffs begin.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...1128/SPORTS0103

seems like a bit of good news. As long as he's back for the playoffs, I'm content. Hopefully though, he can come back at least a week before so that he can get his groove going.

Injury Update

Henrik Zetterberg, who hasn’t skated since Feb. 26 due to an inflamed disc in his back, isn’t sure when he’ll return to action but said he’ll start doing some rehabilitation work on Monday.

“I’m moving a lot better, doing every-day stuff, getting into the car, out of the car,†Zetterberg said. “On Monday I’ll start doing some little stuff -- nothing hard, just some motion stuff to get the body going again -- and see how I react to that and just figure out the next step.â€Â

The next step would be getting on the ice again. There is no timetable for that, but Babcock seems certain that Zetterberg will be back in uniform with about five games to play in the regular season.

Sure are very minor steps...

hockey night in canada has just confirmed that Zetterberg will be back by March 30th. Bertuzzi will also play in one of three home games next week.

yeah they said he has circled his calendar for a March 30th return vs Dallas. Bert wanted to play on this trip, but Babcock held him out until the homestand. He will be back by next saturday if he can't go on thursday.

Sounds like sciatica.

It does, which would likely mean that Zetterberg DOES have a herniated disc in his back. The more I look at this whole thing (duration of time out, target time of return, etc.) it all seems to point at a disc herniation.

Some good reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_disc_herniation

A herniation of the disc isn't the end of the world -- the time period that the Wiki article points out (and others that I read recently) points a 4-6 week recovery time with a large chunk of that being rest. Taking that time period and then looking at Zetterberg's situation and the same time period seems to be occuring in regards to his target window of a potential return.

Another thing worth mentioning: 90% of disc herniations DO NOT require surgery.

I couldn't find much information on recovery from an "inflamed disc" -- other than that it's a listed symptom, along with sciatica, of a herniated disc.

Pierre McG just said Zetts for the 30th

I'll believe it if he's on skates next week. Although not comparing apples to apples (surgery compared to rest), Bertuzzi repeatedly set deadlines he wanted to meet (Feb. 20) and those continued to just pass by -- and that was WITH him skating. Back injuries seem to just be a wild card.

I remain optomisitc, however, that he'll be back before the playoffs.

I am completely confused right now.

Why would Pierre say that he'll be returning most likely on the 30th if he for SURE doesn't know? Then I read this about him probably having a herniated disk. My heart seriously just went up like crazy reading that! Ugh when will we know for sure! :(

Why would Pierre say that he'll be returning most likely on the 30th if he for SURE doesn't know? Then I read this about him probably having a herniated disk. My heart seriously just went up like crazy reading that! Ugh when will we know for sure! :(

Someone in the organization (or close to it) likely told him that's the target date of return. I didn't actually see McGuire's report on TV, so I'd have to defer on whether or not he said he'd be back on the 30th definitively or if that was the Red Wings' "target date" of return.

Seems hard to pin down a specific date when he hasn't even skated yet and you don't know how he's going to respond to that physically.

The mention of the herniated disc is just speculation on my part, but it would seem -- looking at what the news outlets have provided us and what's available online to research the back problem -- that it's a herniated disc.

I didn't mention it before, but the Wiki page said that disc herniations are relatively "common" for back injuries. A large number of disc herniations don't even result in any pain -- the pain only comes when the herniated disc pushes up and presses on a nerve.

Someone in the organization (or close to it) likely told him that's the target date of return. I didn't actually see McGuire's report on TV, so I'd have to defer on whether or not he said he'd be back on the 30th definitively or if that was the Red Wings' "target date" of return.

Seems hard to pin down a specific date when he hasn't even skated yet and you don't know how he's going to respond to that physically.

The mention of the herniated disc is just speculation on my part, but it would seem -- looking at what the news outlets have provided us and what's available online to research the back problem -- that it's a herniated disc.

I didn't mention it before, but the Wiki page said that disc herniations are relatively "common" for back injuries. A large number of disc herniations don't even result in any pain -- the pain only comes when the herniated disc pushes up and presses on a nerve.

Pierre said thats the date Zetterberg circled on his calender.

Pierre said thats the date Zetterberg circled on his calender.

Was this on NBC or something earlier today?

Thanks for clearing it up, Matt.

I mainly freaked out because when I think of a herniated disk I think of what Bert went through and how long it took him to recover. Now that you mentioned how it's really not that bad, and most don't need surgery..well that's made me feel a lot beter!

Hopefully by Monday we'll know for sure what's going on with him. Hopefully he has a great practice and everything goes as planned!