• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Salviaman

Tootoo

Rate this topic

Bravo. I didn't want to be the one to say it, but anyone who doesn't want Tootoo on the team but welcomes Bertuzzi with open arms is spewing what they call a "double standard."

Bertuzzi might not have made a career out of cheap shots, which one can argue Tootoo has, but Tootoo has never been in court for something he perpetrated on the ice.

Call Tootoo's onslaught on Bootland "sucker punches," but at least Bootland was LOOKING at him.

And, indeed, Bertuzzi used to have a scoring touch, I look forward to seeing if he can regain it - it's been a rough year for him in Miami. But, I see your points that Bertuzzi can put up numbers besides the ones that go in the column "PIM."

Dude what's up with your love affiar with tootoo? There's pleanty of guys who do what he does but better. They can actually play the game to. As for those saying they'd take him over Maltby in a second, I bet Trotz would rather have a guy who can kill some Pk's in the playoffs over a guy who'll average 4 mins a game in the P.O.s and put the team down short handed.

Dude what's up with your love affiar with tootoo? There's pleanty of guys who do what he does but better. They can actually play the game to. As for those saying they'd take him over Maltby in a second, I bet Trotz would rather have a guy who can kill some Pk's in the playoffs over a guy who'll average 4 mins a game in the P.O.s and put the team down short handed.

I'm not saying I want him over Maltby - I'm saying that if he's a Red Wing, there are a lot fewer "he's a dirty player" calls going around. I think he's quite capable, and he is a grade A pest. He's not completely useless with the puck on his stick (read: Darryl Bootland), so what's the harm in having him on the ice? Does he take stupid penalties? GOD yes, but he knows his role and doesn't try to do anything out of his realm of capabilities.

EDIT: sorry, responded to something I misread.

Edited by JeeSpot82

Believe it or not, 22 actually was a decent scorer in juniors and during the Calder Cup playoffs. He just hasn't brought that to the big league. Yet. (hopefully)

so are half of the guys who get drafted.....

If any of you have seen the "Tootoo story" that aired last year on OLN, it's actully a pretty great/sad story. As much as I hate him, I give him alot of credit for what he's gone through. His brother, a complete better hockey player, future first round draft pick, commited suicide. He wears the 22 because his brother wore 55, which flipped upside down, is kinda like 22. In the Jr. league that his older brother played in, the number 55 is retired i think league wide. It's not because of his name, which actully never occured to me, and is quite humorous. His bro was his best friend, they lived with a host family together, and heavily looked up to his brother. It's a very sad story, but also very inspirational. So, as much as Tootoo's agitator style gets to me, I respect him for what he's been through to get to and stay at this level. I wouldn't mind having him on my team.

As much as i hate the guy and hope he hurst himself one of these days tring to lay a big hit on someone and instead crushes himself head first into the boards, he is a good player at what he is there to do. He is a pest (all be it, a very dirt pest) but thats his role on the team. His job is to get under the other teams skin. Look at us as fans, we cant stand him, hes under our skin, imagine how our players feel about him. Take a look at what happened last night. He charges Schenieds (and should have been called for a penalty) but wasnt called, a minute later you have schneider running after tootoo and he gets called for a penalty. He got matt so off his game that he went after him.( just like anyone else would do) that justshows how effective he is at that part of the game. But if you ask me, hes a very one dimentional player. He can only go out there to piss off the other team and then either return to the bench or the penalty box. He scores occasionally, but he cant do a PK and he doesnt get any PP time either. If you ask me i take Maltby over TooToo any day. He plays with just as much intensity, but isnt trying to kill anyone, and he is very usefull on the PK and even gets some PP time. Hes a mlti dimensional player, and if you ask any coach in the league which they rather have, ime sure they would chose a muti dimensional player like Malts over a one dimensional player like TooToo any day. Tootoo causes more goals then he prevetns with his constant Penalties putting his team shorthanded.

If any of you have seen the "Tootoo story" that aired last year on OLN, it's actully a pretty great/sad story. As much as I hate him, I give him alot of credit for what he's gone through. His brother, a complete better hockey player, future first round draft pick, commited suicide. He wears the 22 because his brother wore 55, which flipped upside down, is kinda like 22. In the Jr. league that his older brother played in, the number 55 is retired i think league wide. It's not because of his name, which actully never occured to me, and is quite humorous. His bro was his best friend, they lived with a host family together, and heavily looked up to his brother. It's a very sad story, but also very inspirational. So, as much as Tootoo's agitator style gets to me, I respect him for what he's been through to get to and stay at this level. I wouldn't mind having him on my team.

Yea...Tootoo's story is great. He wore #55 last season.

Yeah, he pisses me off and he reminds me a lot of Avery. As far as wanting him to play for the Wings I lean to saying no but I also understand that if he played limited minutes and was able to agitate the opposition he might be palatable. Although I did not like Avery when he played for the Wings because of the stupid penalties he took and Tootoo does the same type of s*** so...

He tried to run Schneider (I think) later in the game and Schneider sidestepped him so he planted himself into the boards. I saw the hit coming and was hoping Schneider would flash an elbow. It would have knocked Tootoo right the f*** out. Honestly, I am surprised it has not happened yet the way he throws himself around.

Speaking of elbows, did anyone see the elbow Jagr got away with a few weeks ago. It was one of the smoothest elbows I had ever seen. He had the puck and made a little spin move but while in the middle of it he threw the elbow up and solidly connected with the d-man covering him. It was soo smooth it looked like an accident until they showed the replay and you could clearly see Jagr purposefully throwing the elbow. My parent were in town visiting and we all got a good laugh out of it.

Oh please, everyone would love him if he was a Red Wing. Clearly he lacks discipline and control - which he will learn as he gets older - and scoring ability, but he is one of the best in the league at throwing off the opposition, which is why he is so loved in Nashville and hated everywhere else, not unlike Maltby back in his day. Aside from that stupid Bootland thing the other night he did a great job of pissing everyone off and drawing potential penalties. He got Schneider to take a bad penalty, could easily of had another with Lebda, and got Chelios to take a horribly-timed run at him, leading to a 2-on-1 goal.

The Red Wing fan in me dislikes him as much as anyone else does, but be realistic here...if he were a Wing instead of a Predator there would be nothing but love for him on this board.

I can respect his the personal adversity he has battled through.... but he's got a lot of PIM for me to want him on our team.

Riddle me this Preds fans.... He is your fighter (or one of your main fighters) correct? If this is true why the hell does he wear a visor?

EDIT:

Just did some quick research. According to www.hockeyfights.com Tootoo has the third most fights in the league this year with 12. All right that explains why his PIM is up there. But.....

He had better be taking that visor off when he drops the gloves. I realize it's not 1988 anymore but there is no excuse for a fighter without an eye problem to be hiding behind a visor.

Also he has 6 pts this season and is a -12 on one of, if not, the leader in team +/-.

Edited by cincywingfan

Think of it this way. What if we had Tootoo and he took a run at a teams star. Then some one on the other team would most likely take a run at Zata, Dats, Lids. Look at the whole Sens/Sabres and how that started. I would NOT want Toottoo (the fairy eskimo) on are team.

Oh please, everyone would love him if he was a Red Wing. Clearly he lacks discipline and control - which he will learn as he gets older - and scoring ability, but he is one of the best in the league at throwing off the opposition, which is why he is so loved in Nashville and hated everywhere else, not unlike Maltby back in his day. Aside from that stupid Bootland thing the other night he did a great job of pissing everyone off and drawing potential penalties. He got Schneider to take a bad penalty, could easily of had another with Lebda, and got Chelios to take a horribly-timed run at him, leading to a 2-on-1 goal.

The Red Wing fan in me dislikes him as much as anyone else does, but be realistic here...if he were a Wing instead of a Predator there would be nothing but love for him on this board.

The way he plays right now i would not want him on the wings. I love his ability to get under the other teams skin, but he would have to learn to me more patient, or put the puck in the net more, or be able to work with out special teams. As of right now he cant do anything but hit and agitate, which is great, but we need players with more than one diminsion. In a couple years he may play on a multidimensional level, but untill then he can stay in Nashville.

I can respect his the personal adversity he has battled through.... but he's got a lot of PIM's for me to want him on our team.

Riddle me this Preds fans.... He is your fighter (or one of your main fighters) correct? If this is true why the hell does he wear a visor?

Maybe I'm wrong and he is not the fighter I think he is. Maybe he has an eye problem????

I dont know if hes as much of a fighter as he is an agitator. I dont think he wears the visor because hes a *****. If i played the way he played i would wear a isor too. Taking a run at people and checking continuously, you are going to get opponets that raise their elbows and sticks to prtect themselves. Many of those bows and sticks will find your face. Its a way of protecting himself. Anyone that plays that way would be smart to wear a visor. Look at Malts. Same thing.

Think of it this way. What if we had Tootoo and he took a run at a teams star. Then some one on the other team would most likely take a run at Zata, Dats, Lids. Look at the whole Sens/Sabres and how that started. I would NOT want Toottoo (the fairy eskimo) on are team.

Agreed, hes a player that runs on instinct and emotion. Not really a "smarts" player, which might get him and the rest of his team in trouble.

EDIT:

Just did some quick research. According to www.hockeyfights.com Tootoo has the third most fights in the league this year with 12. All right that explains why his PIM is up there. But.....

He had better be taking that visor off when he drops the gloves. I realize it's not 1988 anymore but there is no excuse for a fighter without an eye problem to be hiding behind a visor.

Also he has 6 pts this season and is a -12 on one of, if not, the leader in team +/-.

I think he does drop the helmet right way, last night on his way to the box he didnt have his helmet on, and bootland didnt even get a punch in, so i think he threw it off himself. I could be wrong though.

Edited by My GF Wishes I Was Hank

I dont know if hes as much of a fighter as he is an agitator. I dont think he wears the visor because hes a *****.

He's dropping his gloves once every 5 games (12 fights in 59 gp), he better be taking his helmet off right after his gloves hit the ice.

Edit: Clarity

I think he does drop the helmet right way, last night on his way to the box he didnt have his helmet on, and bootland didnt even get a punch in, so i think he threw it off himself. I could be wrong though.

Ahh see that's what I was looking for. Thanks. If that's the case then go on with your bad self Tootoo.

Edited by cincywingfan

The way he plays right now i would not want him on the wings. I love his ability to get under the other teams skin, but he would have to learn to me more patient, or put the puck in the net more, or be able to work with out special teams. As of right now he cant do anything but hit and agitate, which is great, but we need players with more than one diminsion. In a couple years he may play on a multidimensional level, but untill then he can stay in Nashville.

I totally agree...I'm not trying to say everyone should want him to play for Wings, I'm just saying he'd probably be loved here if he did.

But even as one-dimensional as he is, I'd rather have him on the team than gumpy-ass Langfeld lumbering around out there contributing nothing.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I loved it too. Claude Lemieux made it clear he wanted in on that action. Steve Moore didn't have any idea a gorilla was riding on his back until his neck was broken. And let's not forget -- Claude Lemieux played hockey again. And stood up to DMac, and made a game of it. Darren McCarty knew better than to go all Rambo on his ass and end his career.

Oh yes, because Bert was tryihg to end his career.

People like you are unbelievable. I guess you've never made a mistake in your life.

Sheesh. Tootoo can easily end careers the way he takes 10 strides and hits guys in the head that aren't looking. He runs around trying to hurt people every single game he's in. Bert lives in infamy for one shift.

Your are freaking ridiculous.

oh yeah, and to answer the question, no I would not want Tootoo on this team. I would love to have a player that can skate and hit and fight as well as Tootoo but I absolutely cannot stand for the type of player who is pretty much dirty every shift he's out there.

Every check Tootoo throws he could be penalized for charging. It's ridiculous how many strides he takes into people. And, he is a grade A diver. We have a good one in Holmstrom but Tootoo is fantastic. For a guy with maybe the best pound for pound strength in the league, if he feels a pinprick on his back he goes down like he's been shot. I hate diving and that's a major reason I hate Tootoo.

Not too mention that he doesn't bring any other intangibles to the table. He's an energy guy and a pest but let's be realistic, I don't care what he did in juniors, he can't even get a sniff in the NHL. He just doesn't have what it takes to put up any kind of points.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

He serves a purpose. Hockey doesn't all boil down to individual scoring and +/- stats. If he gets opposing players off their game, gets them to commit penalties, has them more worried about the impending hit than playing hockey, makes room on the ice for his linemates, etc., then he's contributing. He doesn't have to get an assist on the scoresheet to have assisted in the scoring of a goal.

Draper and Maltby were great defenders in their time, and they both liked to run around and hit like crazy. Maltby in particular always ran around yapping, diving, playing with his elbows up and laughing through his visor. Neither was a gifted scorer, although they both could skate. Opposing players and fans hate that kind of an agitator. Tootoo is sort of the same kind of player. But while Draper and Maltby wouldn't fight and left it to McCarty to back up their actions, Tootoo does it himself.

Why the heck would we want this guy on the Wings? He has a whopping two goals and four assists in 59 games plus a -12 rating on a supposedly "elite" Preds team.

He may play with heart but his head doesn't always keep up. I don't want to see any Wings player charge like that and constantly embarrass himself by hugging the boards.

For those that believe that Tootoo takes a lot of stupid penalties, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about (unless you believe fighting majors are stupid penalties).

Tootoo has 98 PIM for the season. He has had 12 fights totaling 60 minutes. That leaves 38 PIM from minor penalties from a guy that has played in all but about 10 games, four minutes with those two roughing penalties last night. That's not bad at all. I can guarantee you that he has drawn more than 19 minor penaties for the season- a lot more.

The comparison between Maltby and Tootoo is a natural one in terms of their ability to agitate. Today, Tootoo is probably slightly better as an agitator. That said, Maltby is one of the best penalty killers in the game. Both have hands of stone in the offensive end, although Maltby is slightly better (and both do score from time to time). That said, I don't think Tootoo will ever reach 24 goals in a single season. Tootoo is a very good fighter, while Maltby is much more the Avery style of agitator by not fighting. Tootoo has speed to burn, but is easy to knock off of his skates (due to both is small size and his willingness to embellish).

Dirty player? It seems that the definition of being an agitator, or pest, is to be accused of being a dirty player by fans of every other team. Indeed, there's a certain level of truth to that statement. Maltby and Chelios have been known as dirty players as well (both of whom like to throw those elbows around). The biggest complaint lodged against Tootoo is that he charges on most checks and then leaves his feet when checking a player. I tacle the second issue first. A player is not allowed to leave his feet prior to checking a player, however it is completely legal to leave one's feet at the point of impact. Tootoo hits "up" into opponent and leaves his feet at the point of impact practically every time. He rarely leaves his feet prior to the point of contact, although it has happened. As for the charging, he is definitly more guilty of that. Charging is one of those penalties, however, that the league as a whole just doesn't call often- especially in open ice situations like the hit to Schneider last night.

As for those that would want Maltby over Tootoo, or vice versa, I would think it would depend on what your team needs. Do you want a top level agitator who can also drop the gloves? If so, you want Tootoo. Do you want a top level agitator that can kill penalties and/or work well on a checking line? If so, you want Maltby. If age is a consideration, you might lean toward Tootoo.

Fans that get upset over the antics of an agitator, particularly those of team that employees an agitator (or two), should know better. All agitators have a little nasty streak in them. A really good agitator that can draw a penalty or two every other game or so, without taking too many penalties themselves, is an asset. For those that can bring something else to the game, even better.

David

EDIT: Of course, you could just skip my post as BlueMonk said basically the same thing in a much more concise manner. :)

Edited by drsingle

Guest Rusher

Maltby and Draper play the same way Tootoo does.

Are you kidding me? Just because they play hard? Thats about the only comparison. Don't even try to put that 2 bit leaping cheap shot artist in the same category. And for those of you who say you'd take Tootoo over Maltby WTF are you thinking? How could any Wings fan, or any fan of the league for that matter even try to suggest they would take a dime a dozen one dimensional goon over a proven 3 time stanley cup winner / contributer.

And as far as wanting him on my team? I've seen him take enough runs at our players for me to say id want him on the Wings about as much as id want mr. turtle himself. And even then atleast Claude was clutch in the playoffs. So id probably want him more to tell you the truth.

For those that believe that Tootoo takes a lot of stupid penalties, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about (unless you believe fighting majors are stupid penalties).

Tootoo has 98 PIM for the season. He has had 12 fights totaling 60 minutes. That leaves 38 PIM from minor penalties from a guy that has played in all but about 10 games, four minutes with those two roughing penalties last night. That's not bad at all. I can guarantee you that he has drawn more than 19 minor penaties for the season- a lot more.

The comparison between Maltby and Tootoo is a natural one in terms of their ability to agitate. Today, Tootoo is probably slightly better as an agitator. That said, Maltby is one of the best penalty killers in the game. Both have hands of stone in the offensive end, although Maltby is slightly better (and both do score from time to time). That said, I don't think Tootoo will ever reach 24 goals in a single season. Tootoo is a very good fighter, while Maltby is much more the Avery style of agitator by not fighting. Tootoo has speed to burn, but is easy to knock off of his skates (due to both is small size and his willingness to embellish).

Dirty player? It seems that the definition of being an agitator, or pest, is to be accused of being a dirty player by fans of every other team. Indeed, there's a certain level of truth to that statement. Maltby and Chelios have been known as dirty players as well (both of whom like to throw those elbows around). The biggest complaint lodged against Tootoo is that he charges on most checks and then leaves his feet when checking a player. I tacle the second issue first. A player is not allowed to leave his feet prior to checking a player, however it is completely legal to leave one's feet at the point of impact. Tootoo hits "up" into opponent and leaves his feet at the point of impact practically every time. He rarely leaves his feet prior to the point of contact, although it has happened. As for the charging, he is definitly more guilty of that. Charging is one of those penalties, however, that the league as a whole just doesn't call often- especially in open ice situations like the hit to Schneider last night.

As for those that would want Maltby over Tootoo, or vice versa, I would think it would depend on what your team needs. Do you want a top level agitator who can also drop the gloves? If so, you want Tootoo. Do you want a top level agitator that can kill penalties and/or work well on a checking line? If so, you want Maltby. If age is a consideration, you might lean toward Tootoo.

Fans that get upset over the antics of an agitator, particularly those of team that employees an agitator (or two), should know better. All agitators have a little nasty streak in them. A really good agitator that can draw a penalty or two every other game or so, without taking too many penalties themselves, is an asset. For those that can bring something else to the game, even better.

David

EDIT: Of course, you could just skip my post as BlueMonk said basically the same thing in a much more concise manner. :)

Dont spare any detail huh? haha no i like what you said, it was a very non biased take on things and i think it all made alot of sense. I agree with most of it.