• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

russianswede919293

What should lines be when all are back

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

When everyone is healthy I think that Babcock should leave the Hudler-Lang-Calder line together...

I think that:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Hudler-Lang-Calder

Cleary-Filpulla-Sammy

Franzen-Draper-Maltby

Would be a great lineup

Names in bold are those 100% sure to be on the line in question. Names in italics represent placements I feel are very likely to occur. Of course, this set assumes Bert's full return to health and prowess, else he will be replaced by Hudler or Franzen on the second line.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Calder - Lang - Bertuzzi

Franzen - Filpulla - Cleary

Maltby - Draper - Samuelsson

Some notes:

-Babcock will not break up the top line. It does not matter if all other lines are struggling. If that be the case, the first line will be indeed be even less likely--though no probability can be less than 0%--as it will always score.

-I feel the second line is rather up for grabs, though admittedly the second and third lines will be rather identically capable (neither will be a status symbol), while our first will of course be our prime line and our fourth the checking line. As such, I'll just refer to it as the second line for purposes of organization; the second line will contain Bert, as a point of reference.

-Either Calder or Franzen will end up with Bert; Hudler is unlikely to gain a spot there.

-I feel that, unless Lang plays very well, Filpulla might just squeak into the center spot with Bert.

-Franzen will not end up on the checking line unless some energy is needed. He has proven that he is too valuable on a scoring line to be wasted on a line that cannot score.

-Cleary will not end up on the checking line. He has proven that he is too valuable on a scoring line to be wasted on a line that cannot score.

-Samuelsson, at best, will end up on the checking line. While injured, his value was far exceeded by Franzen, and Cleary had already proven his greater worth; meanwhile, Hudler has also shown that he almost certainly merits more worth than does Sammy. When Bert, a hard shot, returns, Samuelsson will find his value drop even more. As such, he just might be replaced by Hudler. I wouldn't be surprised. As others have said, he just doesn't fit in.

Less sure speculation:

-Babcock will only shuffle around the second and third lines; the first and checking lines will remain throughout, barring Sammy being scratched. The only exception to this is Hudler, I feel; he could end up on the second or third lines, though it'd be tough to figure out which of the other 6 to waste on the checking line. We've seen that nobody can really score with Maltby and Draper.

-I expect the defensive lines to be shuffled around, as they have been lately.

Further: anyone who suggests breaking up our top line, please explain why!

Edited by Crymson

Names in bold are those 100% sure to be on the line in question. Names in italics represent placements I feel are very likely to occur. Of course, this set assumes Bert's full return to health and prowess, else he will be replaced by Hudler or Franzen on the second line.

Calder - Lang - Bertuzzi

Franzen - Filpulla - Cleary

Maltby - Draper - Samuelsson

Those are some good looking lines

Why oh WHY would you replace Holmstrom with Bertuzzi! DYNAMICS!!!

I hope you realize that it won't happen anyway. Not a chance. No coach would break up the best line on earth. It simply works too well.

Technically it's already broken up, and right now the best line on our team is Hudler-Calder-Lang.

This is a lot of if's anyway, depending on WHEN Bert comes back and WHEN Z comes back and how well everyone gels, so it's hard to choose lines based on info that doesn't really exist.

It is nothing against Holmstrom. He's been really good, I think that a lot of players would benefit from playing on that line, but w/ Bert being a RW it's a natural fit, hopefully. Bert puts up some nice numbers. If he's at full capacity when he comes back I'd hate to throw him on the 3rd line.

Man, our team is just TOO good.

edit: BTW, I think it's stupid to never change up line combos, or to rely only one one set group of people playing together. If we get injured in the playoffs that would bite us in the behind...so breaking up good lines that we know work is not bad, we can always put them back if the new lines don't work.

Edited by Offsides

Guest Crymson

Technically it's already broken up, and right now the best line on our team is Hudler-Calder-Lang.

This is a lot of if's anyway, depending on WHEN Bert comes back and WHEN Z comes back and how well everyone gels, so it's hard to choose lines based on info that doesn't really exist.

It is nothing against Holmstrom. He's been really good, I think that a lot of players would benefit from playing on that line, but w/ Bert being a RW it's a natural fit, hopefully. Bert puts up some nice numbers. If he's at full capacity when he comes back I'd hate to throw him on the 3rd line.

Man, our team is just TOO good.

edit: BTW, I think it's stupid to never change up line combos, or to rely only one one set group of people playing together. If we get injured in the playoffs that would bite us in the behind...so breaking up good lines that we know work is not bad, we can always put them back if the new lines don't work.

Yes, that line is already broken up.. and it's not doing nearly as well with only two pieces. We've seen it develop over the season, and all three players have reached their peaks when put together.

Holmstrom is a role-player. He's one of the best in the business at screening and deflection, making him most useful on the line with the best players on the team. If you put Bert on the first line and Homer on the second line, and the switch results in Bert getting five more goals and Homer getting ten less, then it's not worth it. Besides, we want to spread our talent, no? The TD acquisitions were entirely done to strengthen the second line, not to mess up what is currently the best line in existence.

I'm glad Cleary is off the 2nd line. Despite a nice season so far, he's not a 2nd line player.

I don't know how you can say that; had Lang not slumped, Cleary perhaps could have continued at his torrid pace. Who is to know? We'll see.

I think Filppula and Hudler will split time in the playoffs.

I don't think there will be any rotation come playoff time, unless a compelling need emerges (injury, laziness and sucking :P etc.). The guy that Babs finds better suited to our playoff roster after regular season, plays (and who knows about the injuries, maybe they'll both play). Alternating players unnecessarily would likely just distract line combinations and keep both of these guys from getting into a groove.

I'm glad Cleary is off the 2nd line. Despite a nice season so far, he's not a 2nd line player.

Ok , who do you consider a 2nd line player ?

20 goals and more then 30 points.

That loooks like a pretty good 2nd liner to me , Better then Hudler.

I don't know how you can say that; had Lang not slumped, Cleary perhaps could have continued at his torrid pace. Who is to know? We'll see.

It's funny how people look at things. I was just thinking that one of the reasons why Lang has picked it up is that he's had better linemates since the Calder trade. I didn't think Cleary and Williams were doing him justice.

It's funny how people look at things. I was just thinking that one of the reasons why Lang has picked it up is that he's had better linemates since the Calder trade. I didn't think Cleary and Williams were doing him justice.

Cleary got 20 goals playing with Lang , Lang assisted on almost all those goals , how was that not doing him justice , Williams was pulling that line down , had the Line been Calder-Lang-Cleary , Cleary would ahve 30 goal by now

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Ok , who do you consider a 2nd line player ?

20 goals and more then 30 points.

That loooks like a pretty good 2nd liner to me , Better then Hudler.

Whatelse has Cleary done in his career? He was brilliant in November and December, but I don't think we can realistically expect him to keep up a 20+ goal pace. He's like a younger version of Maltby (10-15 goals).

Guest Crymson

Whatelse has Cleary done in his career? He was brilliant in November and December, but I don't think we can realistically expect him to keep up a 20+ goal pace. He's like a younger version of Maltby (10-15 goals).

Cleary, by his own word, changed his work ethic this year. I can see it. Others can see it. You can't possibly know if his pace would have continued or not.

LANG, not Cleary, was the problem; see Lang's play, and you'll see that he played more sloppily than most ever do.

Cleary, throughout his streak, was always in the right place at the right time. That meant squat if nobody could get him the puck, which Lang couldn't do.

Edited by Crymson

What esle has Danny done , oh been a plus player on crap teams , one of the leagues best defensive forwards , scored 20 goals in a season.

Hes only 27 , give him a break , this has been a great season for him.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom YOU CANNOT MANUFACTURE CHEMISTRY

Calder - Lang - Bertuzzi

Franzen - Filppula - Cleary

Draper - Maltby - Sammy

Having Hudler as a 13th is a great position to be in. Now, if any s***head comes in and decides to take shifts off in the playoffs or just flat out sucks, Hudler comes in and we dont have to worry about it.

Guest Crymson

What esle has Danny done , oh been a plus player on crap teams , one of the leagues best defensive forwards , scored 20 goals in a season.

Hes only 27 , give him a break , this has been a great season for him.

Correction: He scored 20 goals in HALF a season.

Correction: He scored 20 goals in HALF a season.

Exactly , how someone can think Danny hasent been a great second line player this year is beyond me.

Anotehr thing he hits guys , hes a tough SOB , and a hes got more heart in him then most second line players

Guest Crymson

Exactly , how someone can think Danny hasent been a great second line player this year is beyond me.

Anotehr thing he hits guys , hes a tough SOB , and a hes got more heart in him then most second line players

Yeah, I almost cried in the last game he played; he had a stick shoved into his ribs, but still mustered the effort to get up and try for a deflection on a shot by Lidstrom. Most players would have just hit the ice and stayed there.

Yeah, I almost cried in the last game he played; he had a stick shoved into his ribs, but still mustered the effort to get up and try for a deflection on a shot by Lidstrom. Most players would have just hit the ice and stayed there.

I remember that , I still cant beleiev he got up and did that , what a guy :clap:

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom YOU CANNOT MANUFACTURE CHEMISTRY

Calder - Lang - Bertuzzi

Franzen - Filppula - Cleary

Draper - Maltby - Sammy

Having Hudler as a 13th is a great position to be in. Now, if any s***head comes in and decides to take shifts off in the playoffs or just flat out sucks, Hudler comes in and we dont have to worry about it.

Ditto except I'd put the Mule with Drapes and Malts as a grinding/energy line. Sammy can bump up to the third line.

Also, I want little Rex in there somewhere. Flip and him should just rotate every other game! :(:lol:

Ditto except I'd put the Mule with Drapes and Malts as a grinding/energy line. Sammy can bump up to the third line.

Also, I want little Rex in there somewhere. Flip and him should just rotate every other game! :(:lol:

Huddles instead of Flip :D

Although, guaranteed SOMEONE will be injured. They will probably both play.

Edited by Offsides

Absolutely agree with that. I'm all for line changes if it's going to spark something up. Sometimes it's exactly what the team needs. I think it's rare to see certain lines stick together throughout the entire season/playoffs. Certain lines that are great for now aren't always going to be that way. The Dats/Hank/Homer line has been amazing, but come playoff time that could all change. *Not saying at all that's what's going to happen* BUT I don't think it's at all a bad idea to change up the lines every now and then, especially if things aren't clicking. I 'd really like to see how a line of Pav/Hank/Bert would be come playoff time. It'd be great having Bert on that line..especially to protect the two.

Huddles instead of Flip :D

*crosses fingers*

I feel SO bad saying that though, because they are both fantastic. But then again, I look at the limited ice time Huds gets and see how much he produces with that and I just think WOW imagine what he'd be like with a good amount of playing time. He can easily dominate a game. Easily!

Guest Crymson

Why would you put Franzen on the checking line, when he has proven that he is a very good scorer on a scoring line but can score ABSOLUTELY none on the checking line? He's a better scorer than Sammy and, unlike Sammy, can skate hard, chase the puck with energy, and set up other players.

CRAP...

I did forget Bertuzzi...I don't know why but I did:

Here is my new proposal, sorry if its a repeat.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Lang-Calder

Cleary-Filpulla-Holmstrom

Franzen-Draper-Samuelsson

I love Maltby but I honestly think he brings the least to the table.

Calder - Lang - Bertuzzi

Hudler- Filppula - Franzen

Maltby - Draper - Cleary

Hudler has been playing too well to be benching come playoff time... he has 2 goals 2nite vs NSH... :clap:

Sammy is good... but i dont see a spot other than #13...

Guest Crymson

Calder - Lang - Bertuzzi

Hudler- Filppula - Franzen

Maltby - Draper - Cleary

Hudler has been playing too well to be benching come playoff time... he has 2 goals 2nite vs NSH... :clap:

Sammy is good... but i dont see a spot other than #13...

At this rate, Hudler'll be kept with Lang and Calder.

Cleary - Filpulla - Bert

W/o Flip: Cleary - Franzen - Bert

Franzen on the checking line is the least of all evils, I suppose.

Edited by Crymson

Why would you put Franzen on the checking line, when he has proven that he is a very good scorer on a scoring line but can score ABSOLUTELY none on the checking line? He's a better scorer than Sammy and, unlike Sammy, can skate hard, chase the puck with energy, and set up other players.

See I see it the other way around. IMO, while I like Franzen more I believe Sammy is more of a goal scorer. Franzen belongs with Drapes and Malts because they all are fast, fiesty, grinding players that can set the tone/ shift the momentum of a game with their energy, and hard work.