• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwinger4747

Melrose: Lidstrom best player in NHL

Rate this topic

Check out this video of Barry Melrose, he says Lidstrom is his pick for the best player in the NHL. A little surprising but aweseom to see Lids get more praise, which he doesn't get enough of compared to Crosby and Brodeur (dont get me wrong, they are great players).

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nhl/index

click on the viedo labled "Penguins staying in Pittsburgh" with Barry on the front.

the more and more i watch him play the closer i come to the conclusion that he may very well be the best defenseman in the history of the NHL. he has excelled in 2 different eras of hockey (pre lockout and post). without question he's in the top 4 with Orr, Harvey & Bourque but in my opinion he's the best

the more and more i watch him play the closer i come to the conclusion that he may very well be the best defenseman in the history of the NHL. he has excelled in 2 different eras of hockey (pre lockout and post). without question he's in the top 4 with Orr, Harvey & Bourque but in my opinion he's the best

Personally, I am already convinced of such.....

you'll never win that argument with hockey historians who look for the guys who make those spectacular plays and ignore guys who just do everything right, therein lies the thing with nick; He doesn't do the flashy things, he doesn't skate all the way down the ice like orr or coffey and score the stanley cup winning goal. He doesn't cream an opponent into next week like a shore,....he's just flat out hands down the greatest "i'm going to shut you down mentally" Defencemen in the NHL.

you'll never win that argument with hockey historians who look for the guys who make those spectacular plays and ignore guys who just do everything right, therein lies the thing with nick; He doesn't do the flashy things, he doesn't skate all the way down the ice like orr or coffey and score the stanley cup winning goal. He doesn't cream an opponent into next week like a shore,....he's just flat out hands down the greatest "i'm going to shut you down mentally" Defencemen in the NHL.

But he's been able to keep it up, consistently, for ages. That's what he'll be remembered for. Every single game, every season he always brings his top game. No lapses in judgement. No game-losing penalties. Sure that doesn't make him the most exciting player but his skill is undeniable and it's fun to see that he's getting some real recognition. Esp in Sweden. Out of all the Swedish superstars he's been the most underrated even though he's been the best Swede for ages. Forsberg in all his glory is amazing but he doesn't really have that consistency. But now after the Olympic win last year Lidström is really getting true praise. It's really sweet.

see you bring up another point, he's also a euro, which instantly means to the hockey power that be (admit or not) that he's somehow inferior to NA players.

Edited by theman19

Well Lidström might be the best ever, esp if you consider the quality of the league and players overall. But it's difficult to compare different eras and playing styles. Lidström is up there though together with Orr and everybody. When it comes to "modern" defensemen no one really has the complete packade that Lids brings which is truly amazing.

Keep in mind I am the biggest Lidstrom fan in the world(my collection of stuff is proof). But when Lidstrom can put up a +/- rating over 100 and skate through 5 guys on his way to the net and score and win 8 Norris trophies in a row then he will be the greatest.

......He doesn't do the flashy things, he doesn't skate all the way down the ice like orr or coffey and score the stanley cup winning goal......

Maybe so, but he did get the Olympic Gold Medal Game Winning Goal. :clap: Not to bad if I do say so myself.

You'd never win the argument of best defenceman ever. But he is the best player in the World right now, and has been for some time.

Maybe not the best ever, but my favorite!! :)

Edited by rage

Keep in mind I am the biggest Lidstrom fan in the world(my collection of stuff is proof). But when Lidstrom can put up a +/- rating over 100 and skate through 5 guys on his way to the net and score and win 8 Norris trophies in a row then he will be the greatest.

I agree with your statement. But what you just described is not the work of a defenseman but a forward, and Lidstrom's even at least with Orr in the defense department if not a few steps ahead. Either way, theres no contest because what Lidstrom does is too consistent and not flashy. Orr will always be the best Dman.

Guest Tunbo Batman

considering that hockey improves and evolves all the time, its fair to say that Orr was the best of his era, but Lids is clearly the best of all time. Don't believe me? Then picture Orr trying his antics in today's league. See? No +100, no end-to-end rushes. Now, picture Lidstrom trying to shut down the players that Orr faced every night. See? He does it in his sleep. The opposition only managed one goal all season long with Lids on the ice, and it was an incredibly flukey bounce off 2 skates.

A few years ago, I started a thread keeping track of every time Barry Melrose called a player the best (blank) in hockey. You know, the stuff he says all the time. The best goalie in hockey, the best young forward in hockey, the best power play in hockey, the best section 212 in hockey, etc.

I'm too lazy to look for it now. I bet it's been archived.

Guest LivingtheDream

Remeber when Crosby himself said that playing against Lids impressed him more than anything else in the NHL? That has to be worth 4 Melrose endorsements! :)

Edited by LivingtheDream

Lidstrom is a robot and I have believed that he is the best player in the league for a long time now. Sure he is not flashy but he is consistently among the top scoring dmen and he is the top defensive dman in the league. He does not have to be flashy or make spectacular plays because he is so smart. He is always in the right position and always makes the right play and because of that everything looks simple. The plays he makes are not easy but because he is smarter than everyone else on the ice it looks that way. The play he made the other day where he stole the puck from someone with one hand, controlled it, and moved the puck the other way was unreal. He made it look so routine that most fans would not even realize what a great play it was but I don't know if there is another play in the NHL that could have made that play. I was amazed, as were the game announcers (not sure but I think it was the NBC guys) and he makes plays like that all the time.