25 replies to this topic

#21 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(lidstromfan5 @ March 14, 2007 - 11:14PM) View Post

Keep in mind I am the biggest Lidstrom fan in the world(my collection of stuff is proof). But when Lidstrom can put up a +/- rating over 100 and skate through 5 guys on his way to the net and score and win 8 Norris trophies in a row then he will be the greatest.

I agree with your statement. But what you just described is not the work of a defenseman but a forward, and Lidstrom's even at least with Orr in the defense department if not a few steps ahead. Either way, theres no contest because what Lidstrom does is too consistent and not flashy. Orr will always be the best Dman.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#22 Tunbo Batman

Tunbo Batman

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

considering that hockey improves and evolves all the time, its fair to say that Orr was the best of his era, but Lids is clearly the best of all time. Don't believe me? Then picture Orr trying his antics in today's league. See? No +100, no end-to-end rushes. Now, picture Lidstrom trying to shut down the players that Orr faced every night. See? He does it in his sleep. The opposition only managed one goal all season long with Lids on the ice, and it was an incredibly flukey bounce off 2 skates.

#23 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:19 PM

A few years ago, I started a thread keeping track of every time Barry Melrose called a player the best (blank) in hockey. You know, the stuff he says all the time. The best goalie in hockey, the best young forward in hockey, the best power play in hockey, the best section 212 in hockey, etc.

I'm too lazy to look for it now. I bet it's been archived.
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#24 LivingtheDream

LivingtheDream

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:31 AM

Remeber when Crosby himself said that playing against Lids impressed him more than anything else in the NHL? That has to be worth 4 Melrose endorsements! smile.gif

Edited by LivingtheDream, 15 March 2007 - 05:32 AM.

#25 WhiteCloud

WhiteCloud

Rookie

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:41 AM

Lidstrom is a robot and I have believed that he is the best player in the league for a long time now. Sure he is not flashy but he is consistently among the top scoring dmen and he is the top defensive dman in the league. He does not have to be flashy or make spectacular plays because he is so smart. He is always in the right position and always makes the right play and because of that everything looks simple. The plays he makes are not easy but because he is smarter than everyone else on the ice it looks that way. The play he made the other day where he stole the puck from someone with one hand, controlled it, and moved the puck the other way was unreal. He made it look so routine that most fans would not even realize what a great play it was but I don't know if there is another play in the NHL that could have made that play. I was amazed, as were the game announcers (not sure but I think it was the NBC guys) and he makes plays like that all the time.

#26 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(SweWings @ March 14, 2007 - 05:02PM) View Post

But he's been able to keep it up, consistently, for ages. That's what he'll be remembered for.

Ray Bourque was a first or second team all-star in each and every one of his first 17 seasons in the NHL, and would finish having received one of those honors 19 times in 22 seasons. Just for reference.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."