28 replies to this topic

#1 Tunbo Batman

Tunbo Batman

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:10 AM

so, i got over a thousand posts here and barely ever complain about the refs. but those last 2 games made me wonder : why do the refs favor the lesser team so much? isnt that a thing of the past? i can understand they were trying to get the home team back in the game yeasterday, but tonight?

also, please explain why they were trying so hard to hand Edmonton the cup last year during the finals. what advantage does the league get out of that? Im confused.

#2 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:12 AM

hi there
IPB Image
IPB Image

#3 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:27 AM

The refereeing was downright brutal in the first game... but tonight it didn't seem so bad. Detroit caught a HUGE break with Kariya not getting a penalty shot. He's an absolute killer all alone.

EDIT: Granted, of course, it's absolutely absurd that Nashville got nailed with a big three penalties (that resulted in power plays) in both games.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown, 15 March 2007 - 01:43 AM.

"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#4 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:41 AM

I just want to know why there was no slashing penalty on Dumont. Chelly's finger was bleeding and it was a nasty two hander, that should of been four minutes in my book.

edit:

btw, in the replay the ref was STANDING RIGHT F'ING THERE.

Edited by Louisville, 15 March 2007 - 01:42 AM.

#5 StaticWithABeat

StaticWithABeat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:56 AM

There is no referee favoritism conspairacy theory...they call both sides equally s***ty. Some nights are just worse than others...and I agree the non-call on Chelios was pretty bad.

#6 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:50 AM

Also, as Mick pointed out, that first call against Arnott was bogus.

You don't want calls like that being made if it's your team or not.

#7 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

For the two games combined, the Preds had 13 power plays to Detroit's 4. I really didn't think the penalties they called on the Wings were that bad in these games. But Nashville was doing a lot of stuff that wasn't getting called. Hey, Dan Marouelli was part of both crews. Draw your own conclusions. Overall, I haven't noticed anything like this before these two games, though, so I'm not all that concerned.
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#8 KronwallCRUNCH

KronwallCRUNCH

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

Tootoo got away with murder last night, on many occasions.

#9 Zetter is Better

Zetter is Better

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

I know the refs con`t decide a game but they don`t make things any easier.
IPB Image
>>[DragonForce]<<

#10 Don Corleone

Don Corleone

Top Prospect

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

The Wings have been getting calls their way since '96. Darling of the league right up there with the Devils, Avs and Rangers. Hell, I remember not alll that long ago that Gary Thorne and Bill Clement getting orgasic about the Wings. It's about time it started going the other way.
"When I returned Mary Jo and the care were gone."
---Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-MA)

#11 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Don Corleone @ March 15, 2007 - 08:53AM) View Post

The Wings have been getting calls their way since '96. Darling of the league right up there with the Devils, Avs and Rangers. Hell, I remember not alll that long ago that Gary Thorne and Bill Clement getting orgasic about the Wings. It's about time it started going the other way.

Yeah, sure pal. rolleyes.gif

#12 SoupGuru

SoupGuru

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

I remember a few games ago when three Red Wings caught a high stick and not one of them was called.

I'm of the opinion that refs don't consciously favor one team or another and make equally bad calls between the teams. Sometimes it favors us but it seems most of the time it favors the other team... I chalk the difference up to me being a little more obsessive about the Wings biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, has anyone else noticed that Rooney is the worst ref ever?

#13 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:03 AM

what about vs. boston

Boston holding the stick - 2 min 6:23, M. Sturm
Detroit hooking - 2 min 6:23, R. Lang

Boston hooking - 2 min 10:49, A. Ward
Detroit diving - 2 min 10:49, T. Holmstrom

Boston roughing - 2 min 16:34, T. Thomas served by B. Bochenski
Detroit slashing - 2 min 16:34, K. Calder

The wings should have had 3 powerplays on those occasions, and that diving penalty may have cost them the game, even though they looked pathetic, but it was 2-2 at that point and instead of a powerplay, boston scores on a 4 on 4 and it all went down hill from there.

Note: a lot of this perception could have a lot to do with our bias.

#14 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:31 AM

I don't think the refs are for or against us.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#15 Bender

Bender

My other car is a Zamboni

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:45 AM

Why are the refs against us?

Who knows?

Maybe Lilja slept with all their sisters ph34r.gif
IPB Image

"...in it to win it, like Yzerman..." - Kid Rock

#16 Winged Scooter

Winged Scooter

Future NFL Hall-of-Famer!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(Don Corleone @ March 15, 2007 - 09:53AM) View Post

Okay, seriously TROLL, just go away will ya?
"Aw, you cheap sonofab@#$h. Are you crazy? Those guys are RETARDS!!" -- Reggie Dunlop
"I got a good deal on those boys, scout said they showed a lot of promise." -- Joe McGrath
"They brought their F$%&@*# TOYS with them!!" -- RD
"Well, I'd rather have them playing with their toys, than playing with themselves." -- JM

#17 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

You just notice how bad they are when the calls go against. Seriously, NHL officiating is by far the worse of any major pro sport. Not only are calls inconsistent between games, they are inconsistent within the same game. The rule changes have only made it worse, since now as the playoffs approach, some of them sometimes are starting to swallow the whistle again. That's OK, if it they are consistent, but the current inconsistency really hurts the NHL.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#18 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Don Corleone @ March 15, 2007 - 09:53AM) View Post

Reverse homerism adds spice to the board. smile.gif

"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#19 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(BlueMonk @ March 15, 2007 - 01:25PM) View Post

Reverse homerism adds spice to the board. smile.gif

I think it helps that he's a Blues fan. laugh.gif

#20 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(Louisville @ March 15, 2007 - 08:50AM) View Post

Also, as Mick pointed out, that first call against Arnott was bogus.

You don't want calls like that being made if it's your team or not.

Yeah, but there was a concrete interference penalty on Kronwall about 5 seconds prior to that that went uncalled. Thats why they called the cheapie on Arnott.

I have absolutely no problem with the calls on the Wings, and Kariya couldve had a penalty shot, but:

1) The too many men on the ice when the ref was 5 feet from the Preds bench

2) The two hander on Chelios

3) The no-call hook on Lang which was a carbon copy of the hook Lang got called for.

4) The goalie interference. This one doesnt piss me off as much because it wasnt that much of a goaltender interference call. The thing that pisses me off more is that the Wings gets called for this s*** ALL THE TIME, yet its let go against us.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.