• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

Just take a look at his current point totals and compare. He's closing in pretty fast on Malkin:

Paul Stastny
GP: 70
G: 23
A: 44
P: 67

Evgeni Malkin
GP: 66
G: 31
A: 43
P: 74

I know Malkin has more points in less games, but this really makes it a race now for the Calder trophy. Stastny is just 7 back of Malkin, and he's had quite a few multi-point games this season. This really is a better comparison for a Calder race then Don Cherry's favorite Jordan Staal, who has only about 40 points at the current time. Stastny is a pretty good player too, after watching him play a few times.

So, any thoughts? I thought this was pretty interesting, as I never knew Stastny was that close to Malkin in points. It makes it a tightly packed race like last year with Sid and Ovechkin.

#2 Vincanni

Vincanni

SCORPION DEATH LOCK!

• Bronze Booster
  • 3,956 posts
  • Location:A dimly lit hallway where shadows of moths decorate the walls

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

I'm up for the possibility of it, especially adding in the extra glitz of Stastny's amazing point streak. But I don't see it happening. Malkin's addition to the penguins has lifted them into being far and away the most improved team this year were as the Avs aren't even going to make the playoffs despite getting nearly a point per game player who wasn't on the roster last season.
God put me on earth to do a certain number of things. Right now I'm so far behind I'll never die.

#3 cincywingfan

cincywingfan

The Fronz approves

• Gold Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(DC_WingsFan @ March 15, 2007 - 03:22PM) View Post

I must confess though, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were saying we should trade Calder to get Stastny!! blush.gif

I thought the exact same thing. cool.gif

#4 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:26 PM

I must confess though, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were saying we should trade Calder to get Stastny!! I was like "HELL NO!" But then I realized what it was all about.... blush.gif

There's no way that could happen anyways. The trade deadline has already passed. tongue.gif

I'm suprised we haven't seen that trade proposal yet though. jk biggrin.gif

#5 Vladinator

Vladinator

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:27 PM

I must confess though, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were saying we should trade Calder to get Stastny!! I was like "HELL NO!" But then I realized what it was all about.... blush.gif

HELL NO???

Why not? This would be the deal of a lifetime...about comparable to the deal that St. Louis got when we GAVE them Adam Oates for a washed-up has-been that played 1 season for us before hanging up the skates....

Stastny has been incredible. The thing with him is that he is so smart on the ice. He has hockey sense that you just cannot teach...

Leaving him off of the young-stars game at the all-star break seems to have really motivated him. Since then he has been one of the top producers in the league...

That being said, I don't see him beating out Malkin....

As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy
We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

#6 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

I like the comparison, but Malkin will get it. they wont shut great pens rookies out two years in a row will they??
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#7 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, Stastny has been great. I think Malkin will win though. We actually could've drafted Stastny. We took Abdelkader with the 42nd pick and Stastny went at 44.

QUOTE(Yzerfan1999 @ March 15, 2007 - 04:30PM) View Post

I like the comparison, but Malkin will get it. they wont shut great pens rookies out two years in a row will they??

Ovechkin deserved last year's Calder.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#8 GodofHockeyStevieY19

GodofHockeyStevieY19

Mr. Detroit

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

***...Nice way to word your topic title. Put the thing about Malkin in the first part. I got it now though. And no. The Calder goes to Malkin.

Edited by GodofHockeyStevieY19, 15 March 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#9 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

nm

Edited by Kp-Wings, 15 March 2007 - 03:58 PM.

#10 GodofHockeyStevieY19

GodofHockeyStevieY19

Mr. Detroit

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

Don't know how I came up with this one. But would you trade Calder and picks to Colorado for Stastny? I would say hell yeah. Calder is the man and all. But Stastny could be a really special player. Would anyone not take this trade??

#11 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

Did this seriously come up from the topic I posted?

While I certainly think Colorado's new GM this year is a dunce, especially after letting Rob Blake go and not making any moves at the deadline, I don't think we'd ever see a trade like that.

Edit: I forgot to mention whether I would except it or not, and I probably wouldn't. The Wings have enough goal scoring as it is, and Calder just brings too much that the Wings have lacked for so long. Sorry, but I'd pass.

Edited by Kp-Wings, 15 March 2007 - 04:11 PM.

#12 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

No.

"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#13 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:15 PM

This may be, quite possibly, the most ridiculous suggestion i have ever seen on here. Unless we're talking Calder and like 10 first rounders..then Colorado might listen!
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#14 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:15 PM

Hell yes I would. Stastny is the next Captain of the Avalanche, he's going to be a dominate two-way forward in the NHL.
Moral victories are for losers.

#15 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ March 15, 2007 - 04:15PM) View Post

This may be, quite possibly, the most ridiculous suggestion i have ever seen on here. Unless we're talking Calder and like 10 first rounders..then Colorado might listen!

That's the thing. It'll never happen.

WHO COMES UP WITH THESE IDEAS?!

"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#16 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ March 15, 2007 - 04:15PM) View Post

Oh yeah?

GUYS HOW ABOUT WE TRADE LILJA FOR STASTNY

THATS A FAIR TRADE!

biggrin.gif

#17 e_mcgrath88

e_mcgrath88

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

Calder came here for Jason Williams and had the worst plus/minus in the leauge. Calder has played good hockey for 10 games now you think he can land a guy like Stastny?? keep dreaming pal...

#18 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

More like Stastny for Calder TROPHY.
Thank You TeeMan

#19 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

I'm starting to think this was more stupid than serious.

UNLESS WE TRADE LILJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111

#20 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:21 PM

I would actually like to see Stastny pull off an upset here, even though he plays for the Avs.
Thank You TeeMan