• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Louisville

Hudler praise

Rate this topic

Some great comments from Mike, reading this kind of reminded me of man called Scotty Bowman

Mlive:

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock was happy to see Jiri Hudler score two goals in Wednesday's 4-2 win over Nashville, but Babcock didn't let Hudler's performance take away from an opportunity to dole out more constructive criticism for Hudler to chew on:

March 15, Detroit Free Press: “He’s done a good job,†Babcock said. “Huds has a chance in his career, if he’s willing to be professional, and committed off ice … he has a chance to be a difference maker. And he has a chance to be one of those players that every organization covets, because to me, he’s got the heart of a competitor, and he’s got the tools. Now does he want it bad enough? Only time is going to tell.â€Â

Tuesday, Babcock said Hudler shouldn’t be satisfied with his rookie season just because he’d scored 11 goals in limited ice time. “He can go and say ‘Gee, I had a good rookie year,’ “ Babcock said. “No. Get to work. Spend all summer skating and working out and do all those things so you can take a step. So you can be a real player.â€Â

Hudler certainly was a difference maker Wednesday – as he was Tuesday, when he also scored the game-winning goal. And the Wings organization cherishes him, because he’s given the team 14 goals on a $525,000 salary; that’s a phenomenal deal for a team working within a $44 million salary cap. Not to mention that Hudler scored most of his goals while averaging around six or seven minutes per game - the 19:28 he played Wednesday was 10 more than his seasonal average. Hudler's average has risen to around 10 minutes because of all the injuries the Wings have had over the past month.

Why the relentless criticism? It’s reminiscent of the situation a few years ago, when then coach Scotty Bowman used to admonish Brendan Shanahan and Sergei Fedorov - all for the purpose of making them better all-around players.

March 15, Detroit News: "He's a competitive kid. He just has to keep challenging himself to get better."

Hudler doesn't mind the ice time he's warranted:

"I'm not going to lie, it feels a lot better," said Hudler, who has 14 goals this season. "You get pumped up knowing you're going to play. I'm glad I'm playing those minutes right now and hopefully it'll keep going this way."

"Huds can score," Babcock said. "If he can just learn to back-check and compete every single night, he can be a real good player."

I thought this was kinda cute :P

Robert Lang gave Hudler a jab of a different sort:

March 15, Detroit Free Press: Crouched by his stall looking through his drawer, Robert Lang yelled for his lockermate: Hey, Huds, come in here, you're a big star now.

"Feels great, back-to-back games against a great team," Hudler said. "We just played hard and we came back tonight, and I'm glad we won."

Hudler converted a rebound at 16:23 to tie the game, setting up a star-making performance; nonetheless, it took him a few minutes in the locker room afterward to heed Lang, a fellow Czech who often jokes that Hudler is like a son to him.

"Like my other kids," Lang said, sighing. "He doesn't listen."

Man does Babcock not like Hudler eh? He heaps praise on players like Lang, Jason Williams and Sammy despite the fact that all 3 barely show up or make horrible plays (like NEVER hitting the net! Sammy, I'm talking to you!).

But Hudler gets little to no ice-time and he still manages to score more goals than his precious Jason Williams. And then, being forced to play Hudler on the 2nd line with topline minutes due to injury, all the kid does is score huge goals and make great plays and yet that insufferable SOB Babcock can't hand him out a compliment without adding in a backhanded comment.

Maybe if Hudler started coughing up the puck and never finishing plays, or missing empty nets like Jason Williams, he'll finally get some praise from B'cock.

Everyone can see Hudler has great offensive upside to him. He has a shooters mentality and he's capable of doing something that few forwards in the league can - score from the high slot. It's not like he doesn't mind going into the trenches but the kid can flat out rifle from way out. He kind of reminds me of Joe Sakic the way he can get the shot off so quickly and how hard and accurate it is. He hardly ever misses the net and takes smart shots unlike Sammy.

Give this kid his due Babcock!

What bothers me about his lack of respect for Hudler is that when everyone gets healthy Hudler will be the odd man out when in reality either Sammy or Cleary should be sitting. Or maybe even Filpulla.

I don't think Babcock is calling him out because he doesn't like him. On the contrary I think he does like Hudler and wants to see him grow as a player. Bowman used the press a lot to motivate his players to get better and i don't see why this is any different.

Man does Babcock not like Hudler eh? He heaps praise on players like Lang, Jason Williams and Sammy despite the fact that all 3 barely show up or make horrible plays (like NEVER hitting the net! Sammy, I'm talking to you!).

But Hudler gets little to no ice-time and he still manages to score more goals than his precious Jason Williams. And then, being forced to play Hudler on the 2nd line with topline minutes due to injury, all the kid does is score huge goals and make great plays and yet that insufferable SOB Babcock can't hand him out a compliment without adding in a backhanded comment.

Maybe if Hudler started coughing up the puck and never finishing plays, or missing empty nets like Jason Williams, he'll finally get some praise from B'cock.

Everyone can see Hudler has great offensive upside to him. He has a shooters mentality and he's capable of doing something that few forwards in the league can - score from the high slot. It's not like he doesn't mind going into the trenches but the kid can flat out rifle from way out. He kind of reminds me of Joe Sakic the way he can get the shot off so quickly and how hard and accurate it is. He hardly ever misses the net and takes smart shots unlike Sammy.

Give this kid his due Babcock!

What bothers me about his lack of respect for Hudler is that when everyone gets healthy Hudler will be the odd man out when in reality either Sammy or Cleary should be sitting. Or maybe even Filpulla.

Do you not get it? He didn't treat Williams or Lang or Sammy like he does Rex because he realizes it would do no good for the other three. They won't get any better or any motivation out of it. He realizes that Hudler has the chance to become a dominant player. That is why he constantly pushes him to become better. He doesn't want Hudler to become like Cleary was back when Babcock cut him from the World Junior team. Cleary felt he deserved aroster spot based solely on his statisticsand didn't need to prove anything else to Babcock. So Babcock cut him. What happened? Cleary, instead of working harder and pushing himself, felt sorry for himself and bounced around from franchise to franchise thinking Babcock just didn't liek him. But when he matured and realized Babcock was right, he woke up, started training harder, working out harder, practicing harder, and low and behold Cleary is now one of the hardest working players on this team and now gets praised by Babcock every chance he gets.

Trust me. This is good for Hudler. Just because he has a had a couple of good games these last couple weeks doesn't mean he should stop working hard. He needs to still mature and realize he has to keep working hard every shift in order to become the great player that he has shown flashes of.

Edited by WhiteLightning91

I've been scratching my head lately as to who will sit out when they get everyone healthy myself, unfortunately for Hudler I think he'll be one of the players considered for a scratch but he's sure making that a tough decision here lately.

I really don't think Babcock dislikes him though, I think he'd like to see him improve during the offseason. It's kind of an indicator to me anyway what kind of shape he was in at the season's start that his skating and play has elevated so much lately- he might be just getting his legs under him so to speak.

That said he and Filppula are the next generation of top guys for Detroit, given they work hard and don't be a Jason Williams. Anyone noticed how their powerplay is better without JWillie, btw?

aww lang is lkie a daddy to huddles

Hopefully he won't teach Rex any laziness. :hehe:

If Rex is able to keep up his hot hand, he should soon be renamed T-Rex!

I just wonder how he'll fare in the playoffs which is a wholly different ballgame. I hope he can come up big, be a success with the Wings and show his worth to Babs.

If Babcock didn't "like" Hudler, he would not be playing as many minutes as he is now.

You guys need to understand that there's more than one way to keep a person motivated, Babcock gushing over Hudler may not be the best thing for him. Whatever Babcock is doing, it's working since Hudler has played a ton and is producing.

It has nothing to do with whether or not Hudler is liked.

Do you not get it? He didn't treat Williams or Lang or Sammy like he does Rex because he realizes it would do no good for the other three. They won't get any better or any motivation out of it. He realizes that Hudler has the chance become a dominant player. That is why he constantly pushes him to become better. He doesn't want Hudler to become like Cleary was back when Cleary was cut from the World Junior team by Babcock. Cleary felt he deserved a spot on the team and didn't need to prove anything else to get a spot on the team. So Babcock cut him. So what happened? Cleary woke up, started training harder, working out harder, practicing harder, and low and behold Cleary is now one of the hardest working players on this team and now gets praised by Babcock every chance he gets.

Trust me. This is good for Hudler. Just because he has a had a couple of good games this last couple weeks doesn't mean he should stop working hard. He needs to still mature and realize he has to keep working hard every shift in order to become the great player that he has shown flashes of.

Exactly. He wants the best for Jiri and that's why he's pushing him like this. He knows what the guy is capable of doing and knows he could be one of the best which is why he's so hard on him.

Saying that Hudler has "a chance to be one of those players that every organization covets," is pretty good praise in itself. There is nothing wrong with Babcock pointing out that Hudler should not get ahead of himself and needs to work hard to be effective in this league.

I mean seriously now, do you really think Babcock just dislikes him and his style of play or could he just be trying to push him? A good coach would do the latter.

I don't think that will be realisitic if the Calder/Lang/Hudler line keeps rolling the way it is. I wouldn't worry about Hudler sitting at this point. Unless he slumps right before the playoffs.

Why does everyone complain that he doesnt get enough ice time?? he's a rookie for christ sake, and will never develop into a dominant scorer.. Even if he was averaging 15 minutes per game, you could only put him at around 30 points with guys like Calder, Draper and Franzen all who bring more to the game..

Why does everyone complain that he doesnt get enough ice time?? he's a rookie for christ sake, and will never develop into a dominant scorer.. Even if he was averaging 15 minutes per game, you could only put him at around 30 points with guys like Calder, Draper and Franzen all who bring more to the game..

<_<

Just your sign-in name makes me ignore anything you post about what makes a good hockey player...

Hudler has a chance to be a franchise player for us, whatever his detractors say. If Babcock can improve him by calling him out, then by all means call him out. 6 point in 3 games works for me.

<_<

Just your sign-in name makes me ignore anything you post about what makes a good hockey player...

Brilliant response. It so happens I grew up with McGrath and I want to see him do well. It is irrelevant to anything I have to say you narrow minded prick. Just because I don’t jump on a players bandwagon every time he plays a few good games doesn’t mean I don’t know what makes a good player. But I do know that the playoffs is going to be faster and more physical, and Hudler isn’t exactly the guy I want to be giving more minutes to, or even a roster spot for that matter.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

Brilliant response. It so happens I grew up with McGrath and I want to see him do well. It is irrelevant to anything I have to say you narrow minded prick. Just because I don’t jump on a players bandwagon every time he plays a few good games doesn’t mean I don’t know what makes a good player. But I do know that the playoffs is going to be faster and more physical, and Hudler isn’t exactly the guy I want to be giving more minutes to, or even a roster spot for that matter.

why shouldn't hudler get a roster spot in the playoffs? he may not dish it out, but he's never been afraid to take a hit, unlike samuelsson. and he can actually shoot.

MAYBE one could argue that Hudler deserves to play in the playoffs over Samuelson, but you cant say he deserves more minutes...some people seem to think that Babcock doesnt like him because "he doesnt get enough minutes"... HES A ROOKIE, and a one dimentional one at that...Look at guys like Perry, Radulov, Latendresse, Brule.. they are averaging around the same minutes and most of them are on significantly weaker teams. They all bring more than Hudler, so stop complaining about Babcock disliking Hudler...

Basically, all of this stuff Babcock is saying about being "committed" and "professional" all are about ONE thing...Rex working on becoming a better skater. I think Mike knows just like we do that if Hudler can just become an above average skater he could be all the more dynamic offensively.

If Babcock didn't "like" Hudler, he would not be playing as many minutes as he is now.

You guys need to understand that there's more than one way to keep a person motivated, Babcock gushing over Hudler may not be the best thing for him. Whatever Babcock is doing, it's working since Hudler has played a ton and is producing.

It has nothing to do with whether or not Hudler is liked.

What other choice did he have? Sammy, Zetts, Cleary and Homer were all out of the lineup. Who would he put with Dats and Lang? His only choices were Calder and Filp. After that is he really going to give Lang Ellis or Hussey or Bootland? Hudler got onto the 2nd line through injuries alone. And then when the kid started punching goals in he had 0 choice but to keep him there.

And doesn't anyone else here remember the crap he said about Hudler at the beginning of training camp? He was constantly bashing his game. I didn't hear him say a bad thing about anyone else besides Jiri. At least with Bowman there was always a full doghouse. But with Babcock that room is reseverd for Hudler. Heck, he even like Lielja more that Huds.

I'm sure that Babcock doesn't dislike Hudler personally, but I guarentee you Babcock would not have Hudler anywhere near his 1st, 2nd or 3rd line as long as he is in Detroit if it weren't for the injury bug. If it weren't for so many guys going down we might never have seen what this kid can really do.

And if I'm wrong then why was Hudler never, ever given a shot with the top two centres when we were struggling earlier on in the season? He gave Cleary a 2nd line spot over Hudler for crying out loud! Sure, Cleary responded beautifuly (at first) but Cleary has never been an offensive guy in the AHL or NHL. At least Hudler lit up the A.

I'm just glad that Jiri has actually taken advantage of his well earned ice time, unlike players like Jason Williams, Mikael Samuelson and Andreas Leijla. Guys who constantly seem to get their butts kissed by B'cock.

Edited by Hank

At least Huds has been doing stuff out there. He's deserved the ice time he's got, and if he keeps it up he deserves more. If he goes into a slump...he deserves less. It's pretty simple.

I think he will develop into a fine player!

Well, he's not big and physical, nor does he have blazing speed, but Hudler's got a great shot and does a good job of getting in a position to score. He wont ever be an all-star franchise player, but he will be a good 2nd line scorer and put up 20-30 goals a year. Not bad, I'd say. I can think of a few guys who made a pretty decent living in such a role.