• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
North Guy

Ken Holland - 2nd best GM in the NHL

Rate this topic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...best.gms/1.html

1. Lou Lamoriello, Devils

At least Forbes was close on this one. The magazine ranked him second-best in the NHL (5th overall), behind Tampa Bay's Jay Feaster (No. 2 overall).

But with a resume like this, Lamoriello stands behind no one. During his two-decade reign, he's transformed the Devils from a Mickey Mouse operation (Wayne Gretzky's words, not mine) into one of the league's most consistent and feared franchises. His success -- he's led New Jersey to three Stanley Cups and a fourth Finals appearance -- has made him the role model for GMs around the league, and his build-from-within philosophy is the archetype for the New NHL. Of the 28 players who have spent time in the Meadowlands this season, 22 were drafted or signed by Lamoriello.

And while Lou's a great judge of talent, he's even better with money. His deft handling of his salary cap issues prior to this season drew howls of outrage from some corners and begrudging admiration from others. That means he's doing something right.

2. Ken Holland, Red Wings

It's hard to imagine any set of parameters that would rank Holland far behind the terminated Taylor and the Rangers' Glen Sather (No. 12 overall, No. 4 in NHL), whose glorious past in Edmonton has failed to produce one stinkin' postseason victory during his six years in Madison Square Garden, but Forbes managed to work some up. Apparently, being the architect of three Stanley Cup championships over the past nine seasons threw Holland's qualifications into question.

To be sure, Holland had the advantages of the robust Ilitch checkbook for much of that period. But it takes more than just money to build a winner (see: Sather). Holland is a master at finding the right pieces (Larry Murphy, Mathieu Schneider) at the right time. He's also a slick horse trader -- the Todd Bertuzzi deal is a paradigm of risk management -- and one of the savviest drafters in the game. You have to give the highest marks to a man who unearths first-line talent like Pavel Datsyuk (6th round, 1998) and Henrik Zetterberg (seventh round, 1999) so deep in the draft.

3. Darcy Regier, Sabres

Regier (No. 63 overall; No. 17 in NHL) deserves high praise for not only conceptualizing what type of team would be best suited for the New NHL, but actually building it before everyone else caught on. Stacked with youth, speed and grit to spare, his club went three rounds deep last season, and is expected to go further this spring, thanks to smart trades (Chris Drury and Daniel Briere) and savvy drafting (Drew Stafford, Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller). The latter skill has allowed him to build a deep pool of talent, an asset that's helped the Sabres stay on top all season despite playing through a horror show of injuries.

4. David Poile, Predators

If anyone were to write a textbook on how to nurture an NHL franchise from expansion to contention, it should be Poile (No. 21 overall, No. 8 in NHL). Starting with that 1998 expansion draft (which yielded Tomas Vokoun), he's slowly added pieces through the draft (his blue chip defense) and crafty trades (the Steve Sullivan deal is a high-water mark). After giving the team time to mature, Poile began adding the final elements through free agency (Paul Kariya and Jason Arnott) and a go-for-broke deal (Peter Forsberg) that was possible only because he managed his assets so wisely to that point.

The Preds may not win the Cup this season, but Poile's given them a realistic opportunity in just eight seasons -- a remarkable achievement in the 30-team NHL.

5. Kevin Lowe, Oilers

Considering the ultimate measuring stick is postseason success, it might seem odd to celebrate a man whose team is about to miss the playoffs for the third time in the last five seasons. But to be fair, Lowe (No. 46, No. 12 in NHL) has done his job with one arm figuratively tied behind his back by a small-market franchise always watching its pennies. Those financial limitations have led to the exodus of several star players, most recently Ryan Smyth. That's forced Lowe to make several deals from a position of weakness, but he always seems to make the best of a bad situation. Thanks to his deft touch, the Oilers have remained competitive and are well positioned for future success.

You'd think they could at least give accurate information. Not surprising coming from Sports Illustrated. Aside from the obvious Cup error, exactly what is Schneider the right piece to? A couple early exits? Theyve yet to do anything with him on the team.

You'd think they could at least give accurate information. Not surprising coming from Sports Illustrated. Aside from the obvious Cup error, exactly what is Schneider the right piece to? A couple early exits? Theyve yet to do anything with him on the team.

Where do you think the Power play would be without Schneider?

Just because he has his defensive lapses doesn't mean he sucks. I really don't see anyone on our blueline who is even close to making up his offense. Kronwall? Please. Don't get me started. :P

Just because he has his defensive lapses doesn't mean he sucks. I really don't see anyone on our blueline who is even close to making up his offense. Kronwall? Please. Don't get me started. :P

Its not even about that. Im disputing the calling of Schneider being "the right piece at the right time". What sense does that make? Theyve lost in the 2nd and 1st round since acquiring him! Thats all im saying.

No no.. he's right.. if Schneider wasnt here maybe we would have went deeper in the playoffs the last couple of years...

Haha, i agree with wha you said, but the best thing in your comment was your Smiley. I loved it! haha

We definitely have the best supporting cast around Holland. I still think we could have used more grit the last couple of seasons.

Saving money under the cap instead of signing J.P. Dumont or Anson Carter was a good move. Bringing in Hasek, excellent. Hiring Mike Babcock, excellent. And now we have Calder and Bertuzzi, so I am happy!!

Aside from the obvious Cup error, exactly what is Schneider the right piece to? A couple early exits? Theyve yet to do anything with him on the team.

And what exactly was it we gave up for Schneider again???

:thumbup:

Edited by rage

Ugh...for those missing my point:

2. Ken Holland, Red Wings

It's hard to imagine any set of parameters that would rank Holland far behind the terminated Taylor and the Rangers' Glen Sather (No. 12 overall, No. 4 in NHL), whose glorious past in Edmonton has failed to produce one stinkin' postseason victory during his six years in Madison Square Garden, but Forbes managed to work some up. Apparently, being the architect of three Stanley Cup championships over the past nine seasons threw Holland's qualifications into question.

To be sure, Holland had the advantages of the robust Ilitch checkbook for much of that period. But it takes more than just money to build a winner (see: Sather). Holland is a master at finding the right pieces (Larry Murphy, Mathieu Schneider) at the right time.

Right piece TO WHAT?! Its like saying Wendel Clark or i dont know, Steve Thomas, was the right piece at the right time, or anybody else we acquired and didnt go anywhere with. It doesnt make sense.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Ugh...for those missing my point:

Right piece TO WHAT?! Its like saying Wendel Clark or i dont know, Steve Thomas, was the right piece at the right time, or anybody else we acquired and didnt go anywhere with. It doesnt make sense.

The right piece to our Powerplay, which is our counter attack to other teams beating the crap out of us physicialy. Duh!!! LOL :hehe:

That was our answer for having no grit.Remember Schneider saying this.

Well it was, but now we have Bert and Kyle.

The right piece to our Powerplay, which is our counter attack to other teams beating the crap out of us physicialy. Duh!!! LOL :hehe:

That was our answer for having no grit.Remember Schneider saying this.

Well it was, but now we have Bert and Kyle.

Yep i remember the famous "The powerplay is our enforcer" comment. God was i pissed off hearing that! lol.

Yep i remember the famous "The powerplay is our enforcer" comment. God was i pissed off hearing that! lol.

Yea, wasn't our PP literally 30th inthe league at the time anyways? I mean we are what 16th right now, that would probably make us the worst PP team in the playoffs.

Yea, wasn't our PP literally 30th inthe league at the time anyways? I mean we are what 16th right now, that would probably make us the worst PP team in the playoffs.

Well you've go to factor in that Datsyuk and Zetterberg didn't really get going until December. I'd like to see what our PP is ranked since then.

Guest Crymson

Good grief, you've got to be one of the biggest trolls I've seen roll by here. Got anything good to say about the team?

Holland has picked up great players. Even if they mostly haven't gotten us anywhere, most all the analysts seem to think that he's doing a better job than most or all other GMs.

Oh, and yes--Holland doesn't coach the team, or determine how well they play.

Edited by Crymson

Good grief, you've got to be one of the biggest trolls I've seen roll by here. Got anything good to say about the team?

Exactly what part of his post would make you come to the "troll" label? Just because Lou isn't "Joey Blue Skies" about every player and/or move the front office has made doesn't make him a troll.

What about the point he raised? He was critiquing the SI piece that labeled Schneider a "right move, right time" and compared him to Murphy -- a guy we got for futures and was integral in the 97 and 98 Cups. How exactly does Schneider compare to that, other than gawdy regular season offensive numbers?

And what exactly was it we gave up for Schneider again???

Sean Avery, Maxim Kuznetsov, and a first round draft pick (that was used to take Jeff Tambellini).

So basically we traded a locker room cancer, a traffic cone, and a budding young offensive prospect for Schneider. All in all, not much.

Guest Crymson

Exactly what part of his post would make you come to the "troll" label? Just because Lou isn't "Joey Blue Skies" about every player and/or move the front office has made doesn't make him a troll.

What about the point he raised? He was critiquing the SI piece that labeled Schneider a "right move, right time" and compared him to Murphy -- a guy we got for futures and was integral in the 97 and 98 Cups. How exactly does Schneider compare to that, other than gawdy regular season offensive numbers?

I do not justify this by one post, but rather by the all--and the all seem to be nitpicky, perfectionist, negative ravings about anything anybody on the team does.

Concerning the rankings, based on his bungling of cap management (keeping a healthy player on LTI *all season* because he'd put you over the cap is NOT "shrewd GM skills" -- it's sweeping the dirt under the rug), I don't think Lou deserves that top spot.

And bungling the Mogilny and Malahkov signings? Please...

I do not justify this by one post, but rather by the all--and the all seem to be nitpicky, perfectionist, negative ravings about anything anybody on the team does.

I figured as much, but I still don't see how an opposing viewpoint (or a "pessimistic" one) equates being labeled a troll.

And wait a minute.... Wasn't the Murphy deal one of Bowman's, anyway? Holland, I'm sure, had input, but Bowman was calling the shots then.

I figured as much, but I still don't see how an opposing viewpoint (or a "pessimistic" one) equates being labeled a troll.

And wait a minute.... Wasn't the Murphy deal one of Bowman's, anyway? Holland, I'm sure, had input, but Bowman was calling the shots then.

Most liekly , Bowman knew Murphy from his pittsburgh days.

Jimmy Devellano's name should be put in parenthesis everytime you see Ken Holland's name. In my opinion, you have to judge Holland from the time Scotty Bowman left. Devellano and Illitch built this team from the early 80's through the draft. Scotty Bowman was the one who got the players to play to their full potential and was a major reason why we won the Cups. Holland didn't become GM until after we won in 1997-98. You have to give him credit for the talent he was able to bring together for the 2001-02 team, but again, Scotty Bowman I believe was the reason all those superstars were able to gel and forget about each individuals ego.

To me, Holland has only had to be a great GM since Scotty left. That's 4 seasons. 1st season, lost in first round. 2nd season, lost in second round. 3rd season, lost in first round. Now Holland is starting to understand that we needed more grit and toughness on the team and that finesse is not everything in the playoffs (I.E. Bertuzzi/Calder/Markov/Franzen/Cleary signings)

Honestly, I havent felt we had a real chance to win the Cup since 2002 because of questions in goal and the lack of grit/toughness in the playoffs. But this year we have depth, great goaltending, a good mix of speed/finesse with grit/toughness, and younger guys who are hungry for a chance at the Stanley Cup.

If we end up winning this year, Holland is going to get an A+ from me because he recognized our faults and weaknesses and addressed them without giving much up at all. Then again, if we lose Datsyuk/Bertuzzi/Markov/Calder, replace them with more finesse style players who are below 6 feet, and don't find a replacement for Hasek, I'm, going to be mega pissed off.