• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WhiteLightning91

Martin Brodeur Vs. Patrick Roy

Rate this topic

I'm watching the New Jersey vs. Carolina game tonight and am still amazed everytime I watch Brodeur play. The guy is phenomenal.

Since you can't really compare people from different era's, I thought it would make sense just to take the best two goalies from this era.

Brodeur's Stats:

Games Played - 879

Wins - 487

Losses - 258

Ties - 119

GAA - 2.20

SV % - 0.913

Shut Outs - 92

Roy's Stats:

Games Played - 1029

Wins - 551

Losses - 315

Ties - 131

GAA - 2.54

SV % - 0.910

Shut Outs - 66

Brodeur's Stats Adjusted To Amount of Games Roy Has Played::

Games Played - 1029

Wins - 570

Losses - 369

Ties - 119

GAA - 2.22

SV % - .913

Shut Outs - 108

All Avalanche bashing aside, Brodeur to me is better. I didn't like playing Roy, but he never scared me the way Brodeur does. Brodeur is just a complete beast when it comes to playing goal. He is always ready to go, never quits, bounces back from a bad goal/game better than any goalie I've ever seen, and has pcuk handling skills that can be matched by no one.

Your thoughts?

Guest Tunbo Batman

I attribute Brodeur's success ENTIRELY to New Jersey's defensive system.

Brodeur is simply a product of the system, much like Tom Brady. Neither would be valuable on their own, without their systems. Brodeur has to be the most overrated goaltender in NHL history. I bet if you look up the game stats from his shutouts he probably only faced 15 shots a game. Scott Stevens made Brodeur and their trap system made him a hall of famer. Put Broduer on the Blue Jackets and I seriously doubt his stats look good - by the way I don't believe any of this, I just wanted to be the first jerk to say he is a product of the system

Dammit.....too slow

counting down until someone attributes Brodeur's success entirely to Jersey's defensive system...

In a Brodeur vs Roy discussion, the quality of teams is not a factor as both played almost exclusively for great teams their whole careers.

Brodeur is on pace for a record amount of wins in a season by a goaltender this year with this as the defense in front of him. The highest plus minus for them is +5. Brodeur is going to face the most shots in his career this season. Yet he will probably have his best SV% and is on pace to break the shut outs in a season record as well as play 78 gmaes this year. You're telling me that's all a tribute to this defense?

Andy Greene

Brad Lukowich

Paul Martin

Johnny Oduya

Brian Rafalski

Colin White

You gotta be ******* joking me... :crazy:

Edited by WhiteLightning91

To anyone who thinks Broduer would do poorly in Columbus or Stlouis or whereever , check out his defence , Raflaski and White are the only relativly good defenceman.

He'd be Broduer , wherever , In philly , he'd get them a playoff spot , same with St Louis.

That defensive system is BS , Stevens and Nidermayer were good , but Brodeur was great.

The only real stat you can accurately use to judge the 'best goaltender' would probably be save percentage. No matter how many shots you had or didnt have against, you save what you save. Brodeur has a pretty good save percentage.

In a Brodeur vs Roy discussion, the quality of teams is not a factor as both played almost exclusively for great teams their whole careers.

Agreed. I do feel however, that if you placed them both on a mediocre team, Brodeur would be more dominant than Roy.

The only real stat you can accurately use to judge the 'best goaltender' would probably be save percentage. No matter how many shots you had or didnt have against, you save what you save. Brodeur has a pretty good save percentage.

Correct, Adidarw. Brodeur has a better career SV % and is number 1 in the league. Sorry but Chris Mason has played in wayyy fewer games than Marty and has faced much less shots.

I don̢۪t care who̢۪s best in the net, but just because Marty is gentleman in life and on ice too, I give HIM respect. I hate Roy since the beginning of the battles with Avalanche, never mind his skills, I just hate him.

:crazy:

Marty isn't exactly a "gentleman." He had an affair with his sister-in-law. Thouht I would just keep it fair in those terms... :lol:

I am torn on this one. Roy's stats are going to be a bit inflated because of his time in Montreal. The time he spent there, especially in the 80s, was a time of HIGH HIGH scoring in the NHL. So that is a big reason for his GAA being bigger than Brodeur's. Marty came into the league after that so his numbers won't represent that time period. But regardless, this really is an unwinnable comparison, both goalies were/still are great. A few years ago I was convinced that Brodeur was a product of his system. But, with Stevens and Niedermayer now gone, he is still producing at an incredibly high & consistent level. They no doubt will go down as the 2 best goaltenders of the era, if not all time, but to say one is better just isn't even worth arguing.

Up until this year I would have picked Roy, but I'm starting to give the nod to Brodeur.

Brodeur seems more level headed between the pipes. Roy was outstanding, but he did lose his cool. We saw him self-distruct more than once (1996-last game in Montreal, 1997-WCF, 1998-fight against Osgood, 2002-Game 6 and 7). Roy sometimes seemed to make a bad situation worse.

I don't think it's fair to discredit what Brodeur has done because of the NJ system. We've seen how important it is to have solid goaltending (Cheveldae, Essensa, CuJo, and Legace couldn't cut it here with an outstanding teams in front of them). Bad goaltending eventually catches up with you.

Roy is easily the most overrated goalie of modern times.

Yeah, those 4 Stanley Cups and multiple Conn Smythe's he won didn't mean squat over his career. :rolleyes:

I swear, some of the brainfart posts in here never cease to amaze me.

:lol: Please explain this.. Marty is the best goalie in the NHL

I hope your joking

No I am not.

I really gotta run so I'll just say it quickly.

Hasek: 6 Vezinas in 8 years Roy: Roy 3 in 18

Hasek: 2 Hart trophies (in a row) Roy: 0

Hasek: 2 Pearson Trophies (in a row) Roy: 0

Hasek lead the league in save % for 6 straight years and was tied for first once and was 2nd last year at age 41.

Hasek holds the top 5 saving %-s of the WHOLE decade. (all with 0.930 and over which by the way other then Hasek has only been done 3 times)

Roy's career season in save % (0.925) is only 0.001 higher then Hasek's career AVERAGE!

Dont start talking about cups because that is a team accomplishment and so is wins.