• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flip-check

Since that other one got me to thinkin'

Rate this topic

Best tribute:

I am decidedly a fan of listening to "Dream on" and "Where the streets have no name" while watching classic reels of the captain.

I still don't think there is anything as iconic to me more than that behind the net angle of Yzerman rushing past the blue line, raising that stick, and ending the double overtime against the Blues in the '96 series. I mean, if anyone has "single biggest" images of a sports star burned into their minds, it would be that.

Dear LGWers, I ask you, what would be yours of el capitan?

His performance in the '02 playoffs, especially in the first round where it looked like he could barely walk.

Nothing else compares to me, despite all the other magnificent things he has been able to accomplish. Not his 2OT GWG in the '96 playoffs, not being the consistent force winning a Conn Smythe in 1998, and so forth.

That first round against Vancouver in 2002 was just inspiring to watch with him just fighting, and fighting, and fighting through immense pain that none of us here will be able to fully understand.

^^^ Agreed. He had sooo many amazing clips and highlights from his career, but the 02' Cup run was Steve Yzerman. Nothing flashy or fancy, just pure determination. Everything he did on and off the ice that spring was magic. Robataille summed it up best when intereviewed about Steve in the 02' playoffs, "You could write a book about it."

I am decidedly a fan of listening to "Dream on" and "Where the streets have no name" while watching classic reels of the captain.

2 other very good songs that are used in Stevie Y tributes are Desire and Wheel in the sky.(The songs really go with the vids)

Edited by Zetter is Better

i remember in that series,stevie was checked on the end boards,not a hard check,but he was wincing from the pain in his leg.shortly later he was taking a faceoff and i cuold swear i could see his leg quivering from the pain,and i remember thinking....damn,what guts,what determination....but i'm preaching to the choir,right.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

The picture of hims houting during 98 finals vs Caps. isn't that what caused the guy to miss the net?

Other than the obvious (which are already mentioned), here's another one of my favorites....

The SHG he scored in Game 2 in the 1998 Final to spark the comeback was awesome! I have that game on dvd, I still can't believe it. He came out of no where, waited out Kolzig, and fired it short side. So much poise!

Edit: Plays like that are what make people a true Captain.

Edited by Barrie

1. OT winner against the Blues.

2. Handing the Cup to Ozzie in 98.

Yesss! I remember he looked over to Oz, and shouted out his name to come get it. He knew HE deserved it more than anyone else. :D

Also, Stevie lifting the Cup in '97 and his AMAZING '02 playoff performance.