• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Swimming with the Sharks

Playoff Race

Rate this topic

Playoff-race tracker - lists magic numbers as well as standings

Interesting analysis: I show Buffalo clinching a playoff spot even though NHL.com doesn't mark them as such. A first look at the numbers doesn't confirm this, but consider:

* Buffalo clinches if no more than seven teams max out above 98 points (Buffalo's current total) or at 98 points with winning tiebreakers.

* At first glance, New Jersey through the Islanders (2-7) plus Toronto and the Rangers (9-10) can mathematically catch Buffalo (eight teams). Carolina cannot catch Buffalo as they max out at 98 points but would lose the first tiebreaker with only 45 wins.

* However, Toronto and the Rangers cannot both catch Buffalo because they have one more game against each other (April 1st). One maxing out at 99 means the other maxes out at 98. Either would lose the tiebreaker against Buffalo.

Thus Buffalo as of last night has clinched a playoff spot.

Guest Crymson

No clinching but I feel every Western team right now from 1-8 are the playoff teams. I feel the west is wrapped up.

Colorado just might make it yet.

The east will be a hair-raiser. In anticipate we'll see, in the last game, a team forced to yank the goalie while tied in the third.