• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingsfan4life19

What takes place during contract talks?

Rate this topic

I may have a rathe ignorant view here; however, I'll give it anyway.

What exactly would transpire in contract talks to make them drag out so long. The player/agent gives a number... The team gives a number... If it is close you can easily negotiate, if it is way off you discuss, then negotiate. If a team really puts their mind to it, i don't know why this couldn't happen in a few weeks. I understand the agent needs to ask the player as far as his wishes, and family, and bonuses and what not. But these contracts that go for months like datsyuks has been seems absurd.

Can anyone explain or is my view a concencus?

Don't forget that there is term to consider as well. Different lengths will usually call for different totals.

And in Pavel's case the numbers weren't close (Kenny actually broke off negotiations for a while because it was pointless to keep talking).

On top of all that there is negotiating strength to be considered, the UFA market, comparable players' contracts (potential contracts), performance, age, health, potential, etc... It's not nearly as easy as having two numbers and splitting the difference, because HOW those numbers come about vary greatly.