• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
russianswede919293

Vladdy

Rate this topic

At 40, Vladdie's still in there

Almost a decade after the accident that cost him his hockey career, little is known about Vladimir Konstantinov's day-to-day life. At last report, Vladdie lived in an assisted-living facility near Ann Arbor, and Irina Konstantinov had filed for divorce, having moved to New Jersey.

What the Red Wings do let the media know is clear--Vladdie will never regain his full cognitive abilities, but "the Vladinator's" still in there:

March 19, Detroit Free Press: Former Wings defenseman Vladimir Konstantinov turns 40 today. It's been a decade since his NHL career was halted by the June 13, 1997, limousine accident that caused severe injuries and a brief coma. Konstantinov has not fully recovered, but he has been able to eschew a wheelchair in favor of a walker, and those Wings who played with him recognize his unconquerable character when he stops by the dressing room before pregame warm-ups on occasion.

"He comes in and sits down, and he doesn't want a lot of help," Kris Draper said. "He has his walker and he wants to sit down by himself; we just try to help him a little bit. You shake his hand and he's still strong. You can tell that's his fighting spirit, to come as far as he has since the accident."

Konstantinov recognizes former teammates like Draper, Kirk Maltby, Nicklas Lidstrom, and Draper said that "a lot of the guys that don't know him come up and shake his hand. He always has a smile on his face, wishes guys good luck. It's unbelievable for the guys who played with him to be able to see him and just give him the little support that we can."

MLIVE

Both happy and sad at the same time. Its good to see that he is up and going again and that he still comes to the arena and both recieves support from and gives support to the team.

Its sad to see that it cost him not only his Hockey Career, but full cognitive function and even his marriage. Irina seemed to be by his side for so long and it must have finally gotten to her.

I still to this day can't imagine how the man driving that limo can live with himself after what he did to Vladdy and Sergei Mnatstakov (spelling)

I am glad to see Vlad doing a bit better and hope he can hold the cup with the team again this year.

So much for "through sickness and health.." huh? <_<

I don't blame her.

Think about it..she has stood by him for ten years hoping he would get better.

One has to imagine that she has been under CONSIDERABLE strain.

You also have to remember that Vladdie likely is a markedly different person since the accident and his limited recovery. He did suffer a pretty severe head injury, you know.

I don't blame her.

You also have to remember that Vladdie likely is a markedly different person since the accident and his limited recovery. He did suffer a pretty severe head injury, you know.

Tough s***. "for better or worse.....til DEATH do you part".

"What the Red Wings do let the media know is clear--Vladdie will never regain his full cognitive abilities, but "the Vladinator's" still in there:"

Stood by for ten years hoping he'd get better?! What is the guy freaking super human? Then she should have no problem not keeping anything she's gained throughout the marriage then no? (money, things) That's the problem now days, most people think marriage is a glorified boy friend-girl friend thing. Your not just supposed to "break up" when things get tough. These are things you should consider when getting married, especially to someone who is in a "dangerous" occupation.

"What the Red Wings do let the media know is clear--Vladdie will never regain his full cognitive abilities, but "the Vladinator's" still in there:"

Stood by for ten years hoping he'd get better?! What is the guy freaking super human? Then she should have no problem not keeping anything she's gained throughout the marriage then no? (money, things) That's the problem now days, most people think marriage is a glorified boy friend-girl friend thing. Your not just supposed to "break up" when things get tough. These are things you should consider when getting married, especially to someone who is in a "dangerous" occupation.

Until any one of us have been in that situation for that long, I don't think we can speak for her. Sure, its easy to type "for better or worse till death do you part" on a message board and denounce her for filing for divorce. No one here knows how much strain that puts on a relationship.

I am not defending her or anything, but I just think some people here needs to get off their soapbox.

Until any one of us have been in that situation for that long, I don't think we can speak for her. Sure, its easy to type "for better or worse till death do you part" on a message board and denounce her for filing for divorce. No one here knows how much strain that puts on a relationship.

I am not defending her or anything, but I just think some people here needs to get off their soapbox.

Not on a soap box buddy, but I don't think you should assume what me or my family know about the issue, although it's clear you know nothing. It seems easy for you to type on a message board what people should or shouldn't think, why can't I?

Edited by bringback91

I doubt there's much money left. Konstantinov played in the NHL for what, 5 years? And his salary never was over $2 mil., in fact it was under a mil. for much of that time. 10 years of medical bills have most likely wiped all their savings out, and then some. So don't go judging a person you never met based on false assumptions. Who was it that said "Do not judge, so ye won't be judged"? :P

Not on a soap box buddy, but I don't think you should assume what me or my family know about the issue, although it's clear you know nothing. It seems easy for you to type on a message board what people should or shouldn't think, why can't I?

Not telling you what to think at all. I just voiced my opinion to the general population here and you made it out to be a personal attack. Relax and go have a cup of coffee or something. :)

I don't blame her.

And nobody here knows if Vladdy himself told her to divorce him for the sake of her life and the kids.

I grew up with a kid who's father had MS. Eventually, his condition deteriorated so badly that he needed constant care and really couldn't do much for her or his kid. He begged her to leave him to find someone else to live her life with. She did it. The guy was in his 30's at the time.

Maybe this isn't the course of action some or most would take but I'm not going to judge anyone for their decisions. It's so easy to say what someone should do when you haven't walked an inch in their shoes.

Okay, gang, getting a little off topic here... This is about Vladdy, not his marriage.

I understand that but I think his divorce is a huge part of this article and his life.

Edited by Hank

I doubt there's much money left. Konstantinov played in the NHL for what, 5 years? And his salary never was over $2 mil., in fact it was under a mil. for much of that time. 10 years of medical bills have most likely wiped all their savings out, and then some. So don't go judging a person you never met based on false assumptions. Who was it that said "Do not judge, so ye won't be judged"? :P

Well, that's not really the issue I had. (money) that was one line out of the post, but I'd also assume that insurance along with the Wings organization picked up most of that tab. Not judging his wife alone, as much as I am society as a whole on the issue. I find it funny when people type "don't judge people" yet they judge themselves in there posts. My question is, if you don't think you can live up to the vowes, why take them? IF they didn't take them, and just got a marriage lisence fine I guess, although I still view it as a cop out.

Not telling you what to think at all. I just voiced my opinion to the general population here and you made it out to be a personal attack. Relax and go have a cup of coffee or something. :)

As did I, but apparently I'm on a "soap box". I'm actually pretty good today, my coffee's about gone, bout to go to lunch. Thanks though. :thumbup:

Well, that's not really the issue I had. (money) that was one line out of the post, but I'd also assume that insurance along with the Wings organization picked up most of that tab. Not judging his wife alone, as much as I am society as a whole on the issue. I find it funny when people type "don't judge people" yet they judge themselves in there posts. My question is, if you don't think you can live up to the vowes, why take them? IF they didn't take them, and just got a marriage lisence fine I guess, although I still view it as a cop out.

As did I, but apparently I'm on a "soap box". I'm actually pretty good today, my coffee's about gone, bout to go to lunch. Thanks though. :thumbup:

Well, I can definitely say you are on a soap box now. Seriously though, the comment wasn't directed at you personally so don't take it that way. I apologize if you did. Its quite apparent you took it like that by the way you used a personal attack by saying that I "know nothing" when its clear that you don't know me and were willing to bite my head off over it. :)

I see the same thing you do, but I just cannot denounce her for divorcing him mainly because I don't know what condition I would be in if I were faced with the same situation. People react differently to life changing events. You bring up some very valid points, however, you refuse to see the points of others on the flip side no matter how valid they might be. A forum like this is great to discuss the points of others, but if you are unwilling to even consider the other side, can there be a constructive discussion? I think not. :)

Enjoy your lunch. If you would like to discuss this via private message sometime, please let me know.

Edited by Nightfall

its too bad about the divorce, but its good to her vladdy is still coming around. we can only imagine what could have been had he not been hurt. he was the runner up for the norris trophy in '97. no accident and that trophy may have just stayed in detroit a long while between him and lidstrom.

It's too bad that his wife has decided to divorce him. I hope my marriage vows mean more than that. However, I have to say that what she did is nothing outlandish in our society. People divorce all the time for lesser reasons.

Was the "judging themselves" remark directed at me? If so, please provide an example of me being judgemental of anyone's personal (i.e. affecting only themselves or their immediate family) choices. I doubt you'll find such an example. And when you are done searching, I expect an apology. :P

Lets try to stay on Vladdy here guys:

I am just glad to see he remembers his old friends and that he is on the walker and out of the chair.

I cannot judge the divorce at all. I feel bad for Vladdy because it must be hard on him, but I don't know what went down, and I can't dislike his wife for it at all. She stood by him for so long, we don't know what happened. I just hope to see Vladdy keep getting better, and I hope he stays a big part of our organization as a motivation and a reminder that their are in fact bigger things than hockey.

I remember how sad I was the day of the accident, I just didn't believe it. Glad to see Vladdy is a bit better.

It is sad that only Vladdy gets any recognition still form it. Mnatstakov wasn't a player, and was only the team masseuse but his story is equally tragic, and I would hope he gets similar support as Vladdy as well.

Well, I can definitely say you are on a soap box now. Seriously though, the comment wasn't directed at you personally so don't take it that way. Its quite apparent you took it like that. :)

I see the same thing you do, but I just cannot denounce her for divorcing him mainly because I don't know what condition I would be in if I were faced with the same situation. People react differently to life changing events. You bring up some very valid points, however, you refuse to see the points of others on the flip side no matter how valid they might be. A forum like this is great to discuss the points of others, but if you are unwilling to even consider the other side, can there be a constructive discussion? I think not. :)

Enjoy your lunch. If you would like to discuss this via private message sometime, please let me know.

Whatever, if that is the case, then maybe some more people in this world should be on one too. Say what you will, at least I'm not afraid to voice my opinion on things, without worrying if it's P.C. or who'll get upset. On a message board or talking out loud. Nah, no worries, nothing personal, how could it be? You don't know me from Adam, but the one thing that bothered me is you acted as if I had no first-hand knowledge of the situation, so I shouldn't have any opinion on it. Other than that, no got no problems. :thumbup:

I don't think I ever denounced her, never damned her to anything or anything of the sort. I think she's in the wrong, but really who cares? People think I'm in the wrong for thinking that way, great more power to ya! No, I see the points of others on the flip side, and I disagree with them. So am I more wrong for sticking to my views, or should I patronize them and act like I agree? I consider others views, but as you say how can there be a constructive discussion if I don't respond with my opinion? But no, it's not up to me to judge her that's correct, and I'll never say I'm better than anyone, cause believe me I'm not, I just wish people would put some more thought into there futures before getting married.

Thanks you too, whenever that maybe. Nah, I'm good, I usually stick to hockey on here, that just caught my eye and I felt pretty bad for the guy, what more can he lose you know?

It's too bad that his wife has decided to divorce him. I hope my marriage vows mean more than that. However, I have to say that what she did is nothing outlandish in our society. People divorce all the time for lesser reasons.

I have to agree with you. Seems that a lot of people get married for the wrong reasons. About a month ago, I had a friend call me to say he was getting a divorce from his wife after 3 years of marriage. I asked why and he said it was because she lost faith in God. Apparently, she was a Protestant, and she became Agnostic over a 2 month period. She just lost her faith to believe in Religion. The papers have already been filed and divorce proceedings should be going forward shortly.

Its just shocking to say the least why people get married in this day and age. They get married as trivially as they get divorced.

In this situation though, you have to wonder what happened. Was it the stress of having to see her husband like that? Did he ask her to let him go? Could have been any number of decisions. However, there is one thing I have learned and that is to not judge people until you have walked in their shoes.

Case in point, I wasn't a hockey fan until 1995. I was very critical of goalies back then so after I graduated in 1997, I started playing goal in 1998. I haven't stopped ever since. Now, I have a whole new respect for the position and the game of hockey instead of being an armchair centerman or winger (or goalie in my case).

Edited by Nightfall

its too bad about the divorce, but its good to her vladdy is still coming around. we can only imagine what could have been had he not been hurt. he was the runner up for the norris trophy in '97. no accident and that trophy may have just stayed in detroit a long while between him and lidstrom.

With all my heart, I believe Vladdy was completely robbed of the Norris that year.

Whatever, if that is the case, then maybe some more people in this world should be on one too. Say what you will, at least I'm not afraid to voice my opinion on things, without worrying if it's P.C. or who'll get upset. On a message board or talking out loud. Nah, no worries, nothing personal, how could it be? You don't know me from Adam, but the one thing that bothered me is you acted as if I had no first-hand knowledge of the situation, so I shouldn't have any opinion on it. Other than that, no got no problems. :thumbup:

I don't think I ever denounced her, never damned her to anything or anything of the sort. I think she's in the wrong, but really who cares? People think I'm in the wrong for thinking that way, great more power to ya! No, I see the points of others on the flip side, and I disagree with them. So am I more wrong for sticking to my views, or should I patronize them and act like I agree? I consider others views, but as you say how can there be a constructive discussion if I don't respond with my opinion? But no, it's not up to me to judge her that's correct, and I'll never say I'm better than anyone, cause believe me I'm not, I just wish people would put some more thought into there futures before getting married.

Thanks you too, whenever that maybe. Nah, I'm good, I usually stick to hockey on here, that just caught my eye and I felt pretty bad for the guy, what more can he lose you know?

I think that being able to voice your opinions freely is what the internet is all about. Personally, I try to avoid pissing people off or saying the wrong thing, so I hope you can see my hesitation there. I guess I worry about that a little too much so you will have to excuse me on that. Maybe I should get a little thicker skin. :)

I could see how you got that impression from my post so I have to apologize again. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink after all. Well, except mine right now. I just showered a few hours ago. :)

People change, for the better or worse. Divorce rates are going up which shows people are getting more and more self centered about what they expect from a marriage. For a marriage to survive, both people have to change for each other instead of changing for themselves. Its a hard road to sow thats for sure. However, in the long run, it makes you a much stronger person. However, harder isn't the way most people want. They want the easy road.

Shame what happened with his wife but it must have had an effect on her over the years. Serving Vladdy and taking care of him. But, Vladdy you're doin much better than a lot thought you would have. Keep it up and like everyone else here, we want to see you on the ice with the Cup this June.

I know..from very good sources that his wife often cheated on him so there ya go!

Anyway, good to hear some news on him! I wish him all the best..and damn do I miss him!

Cheated on him before or after the accident?

Also what is his condition like? is he mentally retarded from the accident or just slow, or what is it exactly? its clear that hes slower now, but just how bad is it?