93 replies to this topic

#21 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ March 19, 2007 - 11:16AM) View Post

You're comparing two different things. If/when Bonds breaks the HR record, it would be like someone breaking Gretzky's scoring record. And unless he breaks the record in San Fran, the fans sure aren't going to cheer him.

Modano's record would be like a Canadian player setting the record for most homeruns by a Canadian.

The league should make some sort of announcement, but to get bent out of shape over this is a little much. But, there's no such thing as an underreaction around here.

For a league wanting to grow the American Market, this would be a good time to showcase that. Whether you hate or love Modano, it should've been acknowledged.
Moral victories are for losers.

#22 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ March 19, 2007 - 09:56AM) View Post

Anyway, here's hoping for this come April 8th:

1. Anaheim
2. Detroit
3. Vancouver
4.Nashville
5. Dallas
6. San Jose
7. Minnesota
8. Calgary

clap.gif looks good to me biggrin.gif
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#23 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

Yes they could have (and maybe should have) atleast announced something on the PA, but Nashville owes Dallas nothing. Plain and simple.

That being said, the point of promoting the sport in America is more than valid.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#24 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ March 19, 2007 - 11:56AM) View Post

Anyway, here's hoping for this come April 8th:

1. Anaheim
2. Detroit
3. Vancouver
4.Nashville
5. Dallas
6. San Jose
7. Minnesota
8. Calgary

Here's hoping that Detroit sits on top and the Avalanche makes Calgary's efforts at building a playoff team pointless.

Although facing a team that HAS to win every game may not be worth the nostalgia at this point.

Edited by Earthhuman, 19 March 2007 - 11:11 AM.

#25 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Heaton @ March 19, 2007 - 10:59AM) View Post

For a league wanting to grow the American Market, this would be a good time to showcase that. Whether you hate or love Modano, it should've been acknowledged.

That is it. Plain and simple. There is no need for further discussion.

This thread can be closed now.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#26 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

It should have been announced. I don't know if that was an oversight or a decision. Does anyone?
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#27 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(micah @ March 19, 2007 - 12:19PM) View Post

It should have been announced. I don't know if that was an oversight or a decision. Does anyone?

I'm not sure. I don't think they knew about it. I wouldn't have known about it unless Mickey had mentioned it during the last game.

Not to bash Nashville as a hockey market (ok, just to bash Nashville as a hockey market) but I wouldn't expect them to know about any records being broken in their building unless it was one of their players doing it.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#28 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ March 19, 2007 - 10:49AM) View Post

Valid point alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I understand it's a competitive situation, but we're also working together to sell the game," Lites told the paper. "They get more money from revenue sharing than any team in the league, they voted against the new schedule because they wanted to have an easier schedule for themselves. They take and take and take and take and never give back, and I'm sick of it."

I agree with Lites on this one.

clap.gif
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#29 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

I think the Nashville guys are jerks, and the Dallas guys are crybaby *******.

There everyone loses.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#30 HomeNugget

HomeNugget

It's the Bishop!

• Gold Booster
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(Heroes of Hockeytown @ March 19, 2007 - 11:28AM) View Post

I think the Nashville guys are jerks, and the Dallas guys are crybaby *******.

There everyone loses.

i can go along with this. clap.gif

#31 LivingtheDream

LivingtheDream

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ March 19, 2007 - 11:16AM) View Post

But, there's no such thing as an underreaction around here.

goal.gif goal.gif

What? WHAT? WHAT??? NO SUCH THING as an UNDERREACTION?!?!??!? Why sir, this comment is an insult not just to all under reactors, but to their familes, friends, nations, spouses, distant relatives, unborn children and decendants going back 2000 years!!!!

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

...all of this Nashville bashing got me thinking... uh -oh!

...seriously, here we have a team sitting on top of the NHL in points. It's really been one of the better teams the last few years. Yet, this team CANNOT sell out it's own stadium unless a team like Detroit or Dallas come to town. Look at Tampa, a Stanley Cup champion, are they selling out thier arena? No. Like the opposing team or not, at least some of those teams sell out YOUR arena when you cannot do it yourself, so, like when the Wings come there, there are probably about 20-25% OPPOSING teams fans there, maybe they should have announced something. No big deal though, they can just continue to leech off the good teams revenues and never sell their arena out. Someone said that they were against the new schedule so they can play weaker teams more often, well I bet they'd be DEAD set against the Wings moving east wouldn't they? They would sell out 8 less games per year. And why is Nashville always mentioned when people talk about teams moving? Whether or not they team should've have acknowledged Modano, or the fans, it's pretty evident that hockey in Nashville is an afterthought to the residents, even being the best team in the league, and that should piss the owners and players off...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#33 Sentonial Debut

Sentonial Debut

WE ARE THE D

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

i do believe this may very well end the arguement this board has been having over the past couple weeks about whether or not Nashville is a hockey city.

#34 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(LeftWinger @ March 19, 2007 - 10:39AM) View Post

...seriously, here we have a team sitting on top of the NHL in points. It's really been one of the better teams the last few years. Yet, this team CANNOT sell out it's own stadium unless a team like Detroit or Dallas come to town. Look at Tampa, a Stanley Cup champion, are they selling out thier arena? No.

You mean those same Tampa Bay Lightning that have the third highest average attendance and average 100.4% capacity?

http://sports.espn.g...dance?year=2007

I'd adjust that thinking cap there.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#35 HomeNugget

HomeNugget

It's the Bishop!

• Gold Booster
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(LeftWinger @ March 19, 2007 - 11:39AM) View Post

...seriously, here we have a team sitting on top of the NHL in points. It's really been one of the better teams the last few years. Yet, this team CANNOT sell out it's own stadium unless a team like Detroit or Dallas come to town. Look at Tampa, a Stanley Cup champion, are they selling out thier arena? No. Like the opposing team or not, at least some of those teams sell out YOUR arena when you cannot do it yourself, so, like when the Wings come there, there are probably about 20-25% OPPOSING teams fans there, maybe they should have announced something. No big deal though, they can just continue to leech off the good teams revenues and never sell their arena out. Someone said that they were against the new schedule so they can play weaker teams more often, well I bet they'd be DEAD set against the Wings moving east wouldn't they? They would sell out 8 less games per year. And why is Nashville always mentioned when people talk about teams moving? Whether or not they team should've have acknowledged Modano, or the fans, it's pretty evident that hockey in Nashville is an afterthought to the residents, even being the best team in the league, and that should piss the owners and players off...

get off Tampa's back.

#36 jenova0

jenova0

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ March 19, 2007 - 12:18PM) View Post

You mean those same Tampa Bay Lightning that have the third highest average attendance and average 100.4% capacity?

I'd adjust that thinking cap there.

What's the price their seats go for again... 6 games for $75? If the price is low enough, someone will buy the ticket.
"You either get it, or you don't" - Dr. Phil

#37 HomeNugget

HomeNugget

It's the Bishop!

• Gold Booster
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(jenova0 @ March 19, 2007 - 12:42PM) View Post

What's the price their seats go for again... 6 games for $75? If the price is low enough, someone will buy the ticket.

the point is they sell out their games and building a fan base.

#38 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(jenova0 @ March 19, 2007 - 10:42AM) View Post

are you actually criticizing Tampa for having affordable ticket packages?

#39 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(jenova0 @ March 19, 2007 - 12:42PM) View Post

Tht can be said of any team. If your don't believe that high attendance characterizes city's interest in hockey, don't use low attendance to bash other cities for the lack of interest.

#40 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(jenova0 @ March 19, 2007 - 11:42AM) View Post

So having seats that the average fan can afford is a bad thing? blink.gif rolleyes.gif

A couple other thoughts. The more I think about it, the more this seems to be a screw up on the Dallas marketing/media department. It should have been their job to tell the Preds that Modano might get a record breaking goal during the game. If he does, could you please make an annoucement. I have a very hard time believing that they did this, and the Preds P.A. guy or the Preds organization decided to be a dick and just not do it.

And second, during or around the lockout, Modano suggested that Nashville should be contracted. That isn't going to score him points with the Preds fans, who probably still don't like him.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.