• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Salviaman

Stars president 'sick' of Predators' overall attitude

Rate this topic

Guest micah

It should have been announced. I don't know if that was an oversight or a decision. Does anyone?

It should have been announced. I don't know if that was an oversight or a decision. Does anyone?

I'm not sure. I don't think they knew about it. I wouldn't have known about it unless Mickey had mentioned it during the last game.

Not to bash Nashville as a hockey market (ok, just to bash Nashville as a hockey market) but I wouldn't expect them to know about any records being broken in their building unless it was one of their players doing it.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Valid point alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I understand it's a competitive situation, but we're also working together to sell the game," Lites told the paper. "They get more money from revenue sharing than any team in the league, they voted against the new schedule because they wanted to have an easier schedule for themselves. They take and take and take and take and never give back, and I'm sick of it."

I agree with Lites on this one.

:clap:

Guest LivingtheDream

But, there's no such thing as an underreaction around here.

:siren::siren:

What? WHAT? WHAT??? NO SUCH THING as an UNDERREACTION?!?!??!? Why sir, this comment is an insult not just to all under reactors, but to their familes, friends, nations, spouses, distant relatives, unborn children and decendants going back 2000 years!!!!

...all of this Nashville bashing got me thinking... uh -oh!

...seriously, here we have a team sitting on top of the NHL in points. It's really been one of the better teams the last few years. Yet, this team CANNOT sell out it's own stadium unless a team like Detroit or Dallas come to town. Look at Tampa, a Stanley Cup champion, are they selling out thier arena? No. Like the opposing team or not, at least some of those teams sell out YOUR arena when you cannot do it yourself, so, like when the Wings come there, there are probably about 20-25% OPPOSING teams fans there, maybe they should have announced something. No big deal though, they can just continue to leech off the good teams revenues and never sell their arena out. Someone said that they were against the new schedule so they can play weaker teams more often, well I bet they'd be DEAD set against the Wings moving east wouldn't they? They would sell out 8 less games per year. And why is Nashville always mentioned when people talk about teams moving? Whether or not they team should've have acknowledged Modano, or the fans, it's pretty evident that hockey in Nashville is an afterthought to the residents, even being the best team in the league, and that should piss the owners and players off...

...seriously, here we have a team sitting on top of the NHL in points. It's really been one of the better teams the last few years. Yet, this team CANNOT sell out it's own stadium unless a team like Detroit or Dallas come to town. Look at Tampa, a Stanley Cup champion, are they selling out thier arena? No.

You mean those same Tampa Bay Lightning that have the third highest average attendance and average 100.4% capacity?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

I'd adjust that thinking cap there.

...seriously, here we have a team sitting on top of the NHL in points. It's really been one of the better teams the last few years. Yet, this team CANNOT sell out it's own stadium unless a team like Detroit or Dallas come to town. Look at Tampa, a Stanley Cup champion, are they selling out thier arena? No. Like the opposing team or not, at least some of those teams sell out YOUR arena when you cannot do it yourself, so, like when the Wings come there, there are probably about 20-25% OPPOSING teams fans there, maybe they should have announced something. No big deal though, they can just continue to leech off the good teams revenues and never sell their arena out. Someone said that they were against the new schedule so they can play weaker teams more often, well I bet they'd be DEAD set against the Wings moving east wouldn't they? They would sell out 8 less games per year. And why is Nashville always mentioned when people talk about teams moving? Whether or not they team should've have acknowledged Modano, or the fans, it's pretty evident that hockey in Nashville is an afterthought to the residents, even being the best team in the league, and that should piss the owners and players off...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

get off Tampa's back.

What's the price their seats go for again... 6 games for $75? If the price is low enough, someone will buy the ticket.

the point is they sell out their games and building a fan base.

What's the price their seats go for again... 6 games for $75? If the price is low enough, someone will buy the ticket.

Tht can be said of any team. If your don't believe that high attendance characterizes city's interest in hockey, don't use low attendance to bash other cities for the lack of interest.

So having seats that the average fan can afford is a bad thing? :blink::rolleyes:

A couple other thoughts. The more I think about it, the more this seems to be a screw up on the Dallas marketing/media department. It should have been their job to tell the Preds that Modano might get a record breaking goal during the game. If he does, could you please make an annoucement. I have a very hard time believing that they did this, and the Preds P.A. guy or the Preds organization decided to be a dick and just not do it.

And second, during or around the lockout, Modano suggested that Nashville should be contracted. That isn't going to score him points with the Preds fans, who probably still don't like him.

And second, during or around the lockout, Modano suggested that Nashville should be contracted. That isn't going to score him points with the Preds fans, who probably still don't like him.

Exactly! And then if they DID announce it, the fans would have boo'd. Then we'd have this discussion about "OMG Nashville fans boo'd. They suck, blah blah blah." Its amazing how much of a "non-rivalry" this really is.

I don't know how much I agree on the fact that Nashville "takes and takes," but I think the quote below is quite valid.

I understand if you don't acknowledge Modano because your not a fan of him or just don't care.

But to boo him? To chant things at him? All this against a player who represents your own country, and has set a standard for future American hockey players to look up to. What kind of hockey fan does that?

I don't know guys, that just really bothers me.

I agree. He not only represents your sport, but he represents your country. Whether you're a fan or not, you have to respect the fact that he has now become the greatest American born scorer of all time.

Why should it be announced?? Yes, it was a significant milestone, but the Stars were playing in Nashville. Regardless of how good a player Modano is, he wears the wrong jersey and would have been booed. The Nashville fans are classless in that way. Why risk showing the entire NHL fanbase just how classless your organization is?

And yeah, I wonder how much of it was by design, because of Modano's feelings about contracting the Nashville franchise.

On the other hand, Jim Lites has shown himself to be a big, fat whiner in complaining about the supposed snub.

At least the TV announcers mentioned the milestone. There were probably more people watching on TV than there were in the arena, so it's not like no one heard about it.

Do they really need to? Plenty of teams fans hate the wings. I wouldn't have done it differently if I was a higher-up in Nashville. Why be kind to the visiting team? The away team doesn't need to be cheered (and believe it or not, Modano was on the away team). Especially with the crap that he supposedly said about the city of Nashville during the lockout. You insult my city, or my team, and I'm not going to give 2 $%#%'s about you, and certainly not cheer for you doing good.

Other teams hate us, yes. But do they respect the organization? You bet. Fans are going to hate other teams, that is a given. But they should always respect them. People are losing a lot of respect for Nashville's organization as a whole.

are you actually criticizing Tampa for having affordable ticket packages?

:clap: If I lived in Tampa, I'd probably go to quite a few games being that affordable.

I have never been to a Red Wings game at Joe Louis Arena. Too expensive.

While I think its a little crybabyish for the Lites to come out and say that crap, it is hard for me to like Nashville knowing they're the biggest welfare recipient in the league AND they voted against changing this horrible schedule.

And there should have at least been an announcement about Modano's goal.

Well there is no rule about being classy in the NHL - they should have made the announcement the same as if a player hit goal # 500 etc - then the fans can cheer or boo if they want - they're just ignorant.

The above point is why I don't like them, however. The Predators should receive not one penny more in revenue than the team generates itself. Why must we have communism in the NHL for crying out loud???? They *might* have a great team, but if they cannot support themselves through ticket sales and merchandise - they should fold just like any other business - it makes me sick. I no longer want to buy Red Wings merchandise if part of the $$ goes to support un-franchise-worthy teams.... :angry:

The league does a piss poor job of promoting its players. An active league that was properly run would trumpet the hell out of an event like this. The U.S. is precisely the market that needs the biggest kick, and here they have a perfect chance to celebrate the accomplishment of a homegrown player, and promptly do absolutely nothing. It's typical, and it's why the NHL will probably always be a niche market.

Now, as for the Predators, they probably should have at least announced the record. Boos or cheers may follow, whatever.

But above all, the Stars come across really whiny about this.