93 replies to this topic

#41 Coyote0106

Coyote0106

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ March 19, 2007 - 02:09PM) View Post

And second, during or around the lockout, Modano suggested that Nashville should be contracted. That isn't going to score him points with the Preds fans, who probably still don't like him.

Exactly! And then if they DID announce it, the fans would have boo'd. Then we'd have this discussion about "OMG Nashville fans boo'd. They suck, blah blah blah." Its amazing how much of a "non-rivalry" this really is.
When life passes you by, downshift.
Go Griffins!

#42 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Louisville @ March 19, 2007 - 11:00AM) View Post

I don't know how much I agree on the fact that Nashville "takes and takes," but I think the quote below is quite valid.
I understand if you don't acknowledge Modano because your not a fan of him or just don't care.

But to boo him? To chant things at him? All this against a player who represents your own country, and has set a standard for future American hockey players to look up to. What kind of hockey fan does that?

I don't know guys, that just really bothers me.

I agree. He not only represents your sport, but he represents your country. Whether you're a fan or not, you have to respect the fact that he has now become the greatest American born scorer of all time.
stevienewjo4.gif

#43 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Why should it be announced?? Yes, it was a significant milestone, but the Stars were playing in Nashville. Regardless of how good a player Modano is, he wears the wrong jersey and would have been booed. The Nashville fans are classless in that way. Why risk showing the entire NHL fanbase just how classless your organization is?

And yeah, I wonder how much of it was by design, because of Modano's feelings about contracting the Nashville franchise.

On the other hand, Jim Lites has shown himself to be a big, fat whiner in complaining about the supposed snub.

At least the TV announcers mentioned the milestone. There were probably more people watching on TV than there were in the arena, so it's not like no one heard about it.
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#44 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Coyote0106 @ March 19, 2007 - 11:02AM) View Post

Do they really need to? Plenty of teams fans hate the wings. I wouldn't have done it differently if I was a higher-up in Nashville. Why be kind to the visiting team? The away team doesn't need to be cheered (and believe it or not, Modano was on the away team). Especially with the crap that he supposedly said about the city of Nashville during the lockout. You insult my city, or my team, and I'm not going to give 2 $%#%'s about you, and certainly not cheer for you doing good.

Other teams hate us, yes. But do they respect the organization? You bet. Fans are going to hate other teams, that is a given. But they should always respect them. People are losing a lot of respect for Nashville's organization as a whole.
stevienewjo4.gif

#45 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:40 PM

Considering how little attention this has gotten on NHL.com, why aren't more people complaing about Bettman? Hockey fans love to bash Bettman.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#46 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(haroldsnepsts @ March 19, 2007 - 02:08PM) View Post

are you actually criticizing Tampa for having affordable ticket packages?

clap.gif If I lived in Tampa, I'd probably go to quite a few games being that affordable.

I have never been to a Red Wings game at Joe Louis Arena. Too expensive.
stevienewjo4.gif

#47 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(haroldsnepsts @ March 19, 2007 - 09:13AM) View Post

While I think its a little crybabyish for the Lites to come out and say that crap, it is hard for me to like Nashville knowing they're the biggest welfare recipient in the league AND they voted against changing this horrible schedule.

And there should have at least been an announcement about Modano's goal.

Well there is no rule about being classy in the NHL - they should have made the announcement the same as if a player hit goal # 500 etc - then the fans can cheer or boo if they want - they're just ignorant.

The above point is why I don't like them, however. The Predators should receive not one penny more in revenue than the team generates itself. Why must we have communism in the NHL for crying out loud???? They *might* have a great team, but if they cannot support themselves through ticket sales and merchandise - they should fold just like any other business - it makes me sick. I no longer want to buy Red Wings merchandise if part of the $$ goes to support un-franchise-worthy teams.... mad.gif
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#48 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,827 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ March 19, 2007 - 11:40AM) View Post

Considering how little attention this has gotten on NHL.com, why aren't more people complaing about Bettman? Hockey fans love to bash Bettman.

don't get me started...

#49 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

The league does a piss poor job of promoting its players. An active league that was properly run would trumpet the hell out of an event like this. The U.S. is precisely the market that needs the biggest kick, and here they have a perfect chance to celebrate the accomplishment of a homegrown player, and promptly do absolutely nothing. It's typical, and it's why the NHL will probably always be a niche market.

Now, as for the Predators, they probably should have at least announced the record. Boos or cheers may follow, whatever.

But above all, the Stars come across really whiny about this.
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#50 Covenant

Covenant

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

I work with Lites' brother here, and I'd have to agree 100% with the article.
IPB Image

#51 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(RockyMountainWingGal @ March 19, 2007 - 01:51PM) View Post

Well there is no rule about being classy in the NHL - they should have made the announcement the same as if a player hit goal # 500 etc - then the fans can cheer or boo if they want - they're just ignorant.

The above point is why I don't like them, however. The Predators should receive not one penny more in revenue than the team generates itself. Why must we have communism in the NHL for crying out loud???? They *might* have a great team, but if they cannot support themselves through ticket sales and merchandise - they should fold just like any other business - it makes me sick. I no longer want to buy Red Wings merchandise if part of the $$ goes to support un-franchise-worthy teams.... mad.gif

C'mon. Corporate welfare goes on all the time in any industrialized country.Why should NHL be any different? At least they don't get to use taxpayers money..., oh wait, just about every hockey arena in the US had some public funds in it. The Joe specifically included. smile.gif

#52 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

It'd be nice to know what the Preds organization has to say about this.
Pretty much a one-sided article IMO.
In any case, if the Preds people in the arena didn't acknowledge it in someway then yeah that's pretty classless IMO.
Nashville just doesn't understand hockey. lol

#53 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:43 PM

eff both Dallas and Nashville
NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

#54 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(redbrock @ March 19, 2007 - 02:47PM) View Post

i agree even tho they are not on the same team. it would be nice for every one to show some respect. if he had scored 502 and 503 goalsin detroit, detroit would have anouced it in a heart beat thats just class and respect

Of course, given that Modano is from Westland MI gives them a little more incentive to do so...
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#55 Winged Scooter

Winged Scooter

Future NFL Hall-of-Famer!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(redbrock @ March 19, 2007 - 03:47PM) View Post

i agree even tho they are not on the same team. it would be nice for every one to show some respect. if he had scored 502 and 503 goalsin detroit, detroit would have anouced it in a heart beat thats just class and respect

Actually it's really too bad it wasn't done here, seeing as Modano is from Livonia, I imagine he would have gotten one hell of an ovation!
Or is it westland? I can never remember...

Edited by Winged Scooter, 19 March 2007 - 02:53 PM.

"Aw, you cheap sonofab@#$h. Are you crazy? Those guys are RETARDS!!" -- Reggie Dunlop
"I got a good deal on those boys, scout said they showed a lot of promise." -- Joe McGrath
"They brought their F$%&@*# TOYS with them!!" -- RD
"Well, I'd rather have them playing with their toys, than playing with themselves." -- JM

#56 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ March 19, 2007 - 10:24AM) View Post

I was gonna make the same example. Or something like most strikeouts by a Dominican.

Which would be a big deal in Dominican Republic, would it not? I thought Nashville was a city in US.

#57 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(haroldsnepsts @ March 19, 2007 - 11:13AM) View Post

While I think its a little crybabyish for the Lites to come out and say that crap, it is hard for me to like Nashville knowing they're the biggest welfare recipient in the league AND they voted against changing this horrible schedule.

And there should have at least been an announcement about Modano's goal.

Agreed.
"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#58 Mark THS

Mark THS

better than boyd

• PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(Louisville @ March 19, 2007 - 10:00AM) View Post

But to boo him? To chant things at him? All this against a player who represents your own country, and has set a standard for future American hockey players to look up to. What kind of hockey fan does that?

crazy.gif Chelios? The guy is pretty much universally hated by fans across the league- I cant imagine him recieving any 'good sport' treatment from any American franchises or their fans

Also, has it been mentioned that during the lockout, Modano came out publically and said that he felt Nashville shouldnt be in the league? He championed the idea of contracting Nashville.

Its no wonder that the organization and fans dont like the guy

Edited by Mark THS, 19 March 2007 - 03:26 PM.

#59 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ March 19, 2007 - 01:40PM) View Post

NHL.com is very PC. They didn't even have the Chris Simon incident on the front page the day after the incident. It was all over TSN and ESPN.com.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#60 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(Zion @ March 19, 2007 - 12:13PM) View Post

That is it. Plain and simple. There is no need for further discussion.

This thread can be closed now.

When you look at it that way... clap.gif But Nashville does not owe Modano anything.