• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Salviaman

Stars president 'sick' of Predators' overall attitude

Rate this topic

Again, too many posts I don't feel like reading. Can someone sum the topic up for me? Thanks.

The Dallas Stars are angry that the other night when Madono tied and then broke the American born scroing record that the Nashville PA didn't mention it or anything...all you have to do is read the first post man!

The Dallas Stars are angry that the other night when Madono tied and then broke the American born scroing record that the Nashville PA didn't mention it or anything...all you have to do is read the first post man!

I figured that. :rolleyes:

I read up until the 3rd page. I just want to know if theres anything I missed in any pages beyond that.

Boy my lazyness kills me sometimes. :P

We can have RICK Nash? Cool. :)

Crap. See- I don't even know that dude who's famous for being a white guy that matters in bball of this era!

no compliments please. it inevitably starts the countdown to someone from LGW going over to the preds boards and finding me there, then coming back and telling everyone that I said mean things about the wings and my avatar says "red wings suck"... to which I will have to respond by saying "well yeah... i'm a preds fan, duh" and then explaining that the red wings do indeed suck and of course no one will understand it.

...can ya tell that i've been here a while??

Hahaha, well I say "Preds suck". It's the nature of the beast. That doesn't mean we don't want you around to post in the 2007 Cup thread after THE WINGS WIN!

PS if you bring this up in the case of Nashville winning I will call you a filthy liar.

I'm a little torn on this. It would have been nice if they did something, but didn't Modano during the lockout say Nashville should be retracted? Nashville fans and the organization probably haven't forgotten those comments. Any announcement about Modano setting the record would lead him to being boooed.

Maybe it was better nothing was said.....

...funny, noone in Nashville cares what the rest of the hockey world thinks either. That is why it will NEVER be a true NHL city, never. The only real fans down there are the tarnsplanted Northerners who go to watch the visiting teams...

...Knowledge is power, it's obvious Nashville fans have none...

...funny, after watching that video, how in the hell did Robitas get a charging call? In this day and agae of Bettman wanting to clean up the NHL, TuTu should have been given a game misconduct for intent to injure. That was blatant. Another thing I didn't like is TuTu should have never been ablr to finish the game healthy. He should have been taken out, legally or illegally. That is what's gonna clean up our game to get these suckers out of here!

I've been on these boards a very long time and I think I can say, with a certain level of confidence, that I've earned some respect from many of the posters on this board.

Apparently, however, not from you (which is fine, btw).

I say all that because I was born and raised in Tennessee and have only been a hockey fan since Nashville's arrival in the NHL. That's a lot of learning to make up for, but I still enjoy it.

As for the Modano incident...

The whole arena was agitated with ugly incident that had just taken place (with Modano playing his part). Modano's goal was scored on the ensuing power play (in which he wasn't given a slashing penalty). Throw in Modano's feelings about having a team in Nashville, well known to Nashville fans, and to do anything to bring attention to his "record" would have been the pinnacle of stupidity.

If I were to guess on Nashville's response, I would speculate that the Dallas President got a call from David Poile and/or Craig Leipold that went something like "go f**k yourself".

David

Maybe instead of bitching about the Preds, Jim Lites needs to have some words with his media/marketing department

Poile said the Stars had not contacted Nashville regarding any special recognition if Modano reached the milestone, outside of a request that he receive the goal-netting. That request was granted.

"There's a protocol within the league when there is a team that has a player having a milestone,'' Poile said. "We never heard anything from them. I know if we had a player that was approaching a milestone, we would have contacted that team and made whatever request we thought was appropriate.''

But, despite the fact that the Preds are just a bunch of slack jawed yokels who don't know anything about hockey because they don't live in a cold weather state, the organization still mangaged to get their two working brain cells to fire, and realized that Modano might score a record breaking goal on their ice. So why no announcement? Modano himself is behind that.

The Preds had planned on an announcement, Poile said.

But late in the game Modano was involved in an altercation with Tootoo that led Modano to swing his stick down over Tootoo's back after Tootoo punched Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas.

Fans booed Modano, and when he scored his historic goal less than a minute later, booing increased. That's when the Preds decided against an announcement, Poile said.

"Everyone saw (Modano) hit Tootoo in the back with his stick,'' Poile said. "He was getting booed by everybody when he scored the goal. I think good judgment prevailed. I think if something was unveiled to recognize or honor him at that time, it could have been an uncomfortable situation in that building.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../703200373/1028

Screw Nashville fans who booed him. Does anyone think that possibly Modano's slash was a payback (however weak and *****-like) for the illegal suckerpunch that Tootoo had just dished out?

Whatever though, I'm no huge Modano fan anyway. And that slash wasn't even worth calling, it was so weak, plus Tootoo tried to slash him back right after that.

Maybe instead of bitching about the Preds, Jim Lites needs to have some words with his media/marketing department

But, despite the fact that the Preds are just a bunch of slack jawed yokels who don't know anything about hockey because they don't live in a cold weather state, the organization still mangaged to get their two working brain cells to fire, and realized that Modano might score a record breaking goal on their ice. So why no announcement? Modano himself is behind that.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../703200373/1028

Not saying this is the case, but it's really easy to say "Oh, we intended to say something, but it just didn't seem appropriate, considering" after the fact.

Make the announcement and let the fans boo it or not.

On Around the Horn (ESPN), Tim Cowlishaw (sp?) just said that it was "a bad move" by the Predators to not even mention Modano's achievement. He said "in order for the NHL to promote the event, and just out of respect" it should have been announced at the arena.

Also, the Stanley Cup is on PTI right now. This is twice in one day that hockey has been mentioned on ESPN shows!!

I still can't figure out why Nashville continues to make so much of Modano's slash. That swing wasn't exactly from the McSorley/Simon school and given the heat of the moment, it's entirely possible Tootoo didn't even feel it.

Incident or no, there should've been an announcement, it's the right thing to do. I also agree that Dallas comes off as whiny, kind of a dumb thing to complain about in the grand scheme of things.

we make a big deal about Modanos stick swinging. it was not a slash, it was swinging the stick as a weapon. I'm not going to go off the deep end like some preds fans and claim that he clubbed Tootoo and could have seriously injured him. But the fact is, he still swing his stick and hit Tootoo with it just a week after Simon is severely punished for using the stick as a weapon.

What makes us ***** about it is that NOTHING happened at all to Modano, no penalty, no fine, no suspension. Even if they slap the guy with a $5k fine at least they acknowledge that he was out of line.

Robidas goes out on a stretcher and they still gave him a penalty. But Modano gets nothing? why?

we make a big deal about Modanos stick swinging. it was not a slash, it was swinging the stick as a weapon. I'm not going to go off the deep end like some preds fans and claim that he clubbed Tootoo and could have seriously injured him. But the fact is, he still swing his stick and hit Tootoo with it just a week after Simon is severely punished for using the stick as a weapon.

What makes us ***** about it is that NOTHING happened at all to Modano, no penalty, no fine, no suspension. Even if they slap the guy with a $5k fine at least they acknowledge that he was out of line.

Robidas goes out on a stretcher and they still gave him a penalty. But Modano gets nothing? why?

Cause Fruitoo was unhurt. Since he then slashed Modano back there would have been offsetting minors and since Frutioo already had 4, the refs gave him and Modano a break and didn't add to the circus they just saw.

Plus, retaliation to intent to injure rarely gets a penalty. See all of the blatant calls over the years (McSorley, Dino, Bertuzzi, Clark) and you see the players that jumped the offenders do not get penalties, usually only one does. And that was Robidas.

Because Modano was defending his teammate after his teammate was trying to defend him. Robidas tried to defend Modano but instead of paying Tootoo back he gets cheapshoted, as everyone in the world knows by now. I dont know about you guys, but I would be pretty pissed too if a guy who just stuck up for me gets taken out by a cheapshot. Tthe only way he could get Tootoos attention was with his stick because that is the only way Tootoo can understand or comprehend anything, which is by using physical blunt force/means. Come on Legionnaire, you really think that Modano was going to use his stick as a weapon? You really expect the NHL to fine Modano for swinging his stick at Tootoo? You can not even compare what Chris Simon did with his stick to what Modano did with his, that is like comparing Black to White. That weak ass swing would not even hurt a dog. Robidas got a penalty because he was charging after Tootoo, Modano didn't get anything because he wasn't attempting to injure, wasn't slashing, he was just getting the thug Tootoo's attention with his stick and tell him what he thought about his s***ty cheapshot.

Edited by Salviaman

The slash deserved a penalty, at best.

It was a one hander and a half-assed one at that. He started coming around swinging pretty viciously, but slowed up.

I hate to play this card, but if you seriously think that slash deserved a fine or suspension, your loyalty to the Preds is clouding your vision.

Nashville makes a big deal about the stick swing because they're grasping at straws. Tootoo was way out of line. Modano's slash does nothing to change that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5l40daTdM

And to make this more on topic, here's what Modano had to say about not having his goal announced, and the Tootoo incident.

But Modano shrugged off the issue, saying plenty of milestones are reached on the road and are accompanied by little fanfare.

“I think Jimmy was a little bit more worked up than I was on that thing,” Modano said. “We’ve had a lot of guys come in to Dallas and Minnesota who’ve scored a lot of goals and hit milestones that we didn’t recognize.”

“I think it’s tough for a home team sometimes to promote another player on another team. I think NHL fans are really die-hard, are really loyal to their own team. So I think people there would have felt it as a slap in the face maybe or felt it was showing up their team.”

Modano said he could have been called for a slash for hitting Tootoo with his stick after Tootoo’s punch knocked Robidas out, but that he consciously held back.

“I kind of got swung around and I had my stick, I think I was in a situation where if I let it go I could have been really in trouble or a little higher up on him I could have been suspended myself,” he said. “I did pull back a little bit and honestly didn’t want to swing it around that hard and make things worse than they already were.”

Edited by haroldsnepsts