64 replies to this topic

#61 Bender

Bender

My other car is a Zamboni

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(sibiriak @ March 19, 2007 - 06:10PM) View Post

OK, so why didn't Don Cherry say it? Saying outrageous stuff is in his job description. tongue.gif
And while Yzerman is certainly one of the greatest ever players and a sure first balllot Hall of Famer, I wouldn't call him the greatest ever. At least not when Mr. Gordon Howe might hear you.

FYI: Cherry is quoted in a book regarding Yzerman's career (which I don't have in front of me right now), saying something to the effect of: "If aliens who didn't know anything about hockey came down from Mars and asked to see the perfect hockey player, I would show them Steve Yzerman".

I'll have to dig that out when I get home tonight to verify this, and I'm not saying that Don Cherry was implying that Yzerman was the best player ever, just that he did make comments regarding his opinion of Stevie on the record which serve to illustrate the overall concensus.

[homer alert]

In the context of pure offensive prowess & with all things considered, Yzerman is top 10 material without a doubt. Beyond that, his total contribution to both the Detroit Red Wings & the sport of hockey is matched only by some very slect company throughtout the history of the sport.
The rest of the intangible, immeasureable qualities that defined his career and his character leave absolutely no doubt in my mind as to just who is the best player ever.

[/homer alert]
IPB Image

"...in it to win it, like Yzerman..." - Kid Rock

#62 Wingsfan4life19

Wingsfan4life19

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

I find it hard to compare two different generations of players...Howe/Orr and Yzerman... thigns were different when howe and orr were playing. Goalies had less equipment,however, curbed sticks and slap shots were just making an appearance.

We'll need a new thread to discuss the two era's

#63 Bender

Bender

My other car is a Zamboni

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

What happened top the edit function?

Anyway, the book I mentioned earlier is simply entitled "The Captain" - apparently commissioned by the Free Press soon after Stevie announced his retirement. It's basically a biography of Yzerman's entire pro career with many quotes and commentary included from noteworthy members of the hockey community.

For what it's worth, the Don Cherry quote (pg. 124) is actually:

"There has never been a more respected hockey player to ever play in the National Hockey League than Stevie. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If someone came down from Mars and wanted to know what a hockey player was, I would show him the perfect hockey player: Stevie Wonder Yzerman."

I'm not trying to beat this to death - I just wanted to make sure I got my facts straight.
IPB Image

"...in it to win it, like Yzerman..." - Kid Rock

#64 Elshupacabra

Elshupacabra

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(Bender @ March 20, 2007 - 06:45PM) View Post

What happened top the edit function?

I think you only have a limited amount of time to edit your posts after you post them

#65 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Elshupacabra @ March 20, 2007 - 06:48PM) View Post

I think you only have a limited amount of time to edit your posts after you post them

Not true.