• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Never_Retire_Steve

What city deserves an NHL team

Rate this topic

Maine????

If that's not the stupidest idea.....I have ragged on people that suggested Hamilton, Ontario......but that's a genius idea compared to Maine. The population of the entire state of Maine is less than that of nearly every metro area in the NHL. Put down the damn doobie.

Maine????

If that's not the stupidest idea.....I have ragged on people that suggested Hamilton, Ontario......but that's a genius idea compared to Maine. The population of the entire state of Maine is less than that of nearly every metro area in the NHL. Put down the damn doobie.

they have a damn good hockey fan base there, the college team always brings tons of fans.

Indianapolis.

By percentage, Chicago and St. Louis draw worse than every other hockey team ... including Atlanta, Nashville, Carolina and Florida. From this link, http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?s...t&year=2007

IPB Image

Maybe the NHL should consolidate the Blues and Hawks into a team in Indy.

never gonna happen, they won't get rid of an original 6 team.

they have a damn good hockey fan base there, the college team always brings tons of fans.

The Blackbears arena holds just under 5,500 people. And I don't know how much tickets cost, but I'd have to imagine the most expensive Maine ticket is cheaper than the cheaper Wings ticket.

Plus, according to the website, fulltime Maine students get in for free.

That's like saying Major League Baseball should put a team here in College Station, because the A&M baseball team is popular.

The Blackbears arena holds just under 5,500 people. And I don't know how much tickets cost, but I'd have to imagine the most expensive Maine ticket is cheaper than the cheaper Wings ticket.

Plus, according to the website, fulltime Maine students get in for free.

That's like saying Major League Baseball should put a team here in College Station, because the A&M baseball team is popular.

QFT. To recap: UMaine hockey played 14 home games in a 5,700 seat arena and allowed about half the crowd in for free. UMaine football season tickets cost $60 - a single game cost $16. No hockey prices are listed, but can you imagine them being much different? Many NHL tickets go for more than $60.

I used to think the three H's (Halifax, Hamilton, Hartford) were the nuttiest ideas I'd ever seen for an NHL team, but Maine absolutely takes the cake. What's next? Iqaluit? Barrow?

QFT. To recap: UMaine hockey played 14 home games in a 5,700 seat arena and allowed about half the crowd in for free. UMaine football season tickets cost $60 - a single game cost $16. No hockey prices are listed, but can you imagine them being much different? Many NHL tickets go for more than $60.

I used to think the three H's (Halifax, Hamilton, Hartford) were the nuttiest ideas I'd ever seen for an NHL team, but Maine absolutely takes the cake. What's next? Iqaluit? Barrow?

Escanaba.

Winnipeg for sure.They have a new arena and fantastic fans.If the new NHL works in Edmonton then it can work in Winnipeg.

Edmonton supported their team. Winnipeg did not.

Winnipeg's best season for attendance was a measly 13,800 per game. This would rank behind New Jersey for 27th in the league. Remember, this was Winnipeg's BEST mark. Often Winnipeg would draw less than 12,000...which would rank dead last.

Phoenix, by comparison, has consistently posted numbers above 14k, and currently has attendance numbers that would be just shy of averaging a sellout in Winnipeg's new arena--something Winnipeg never even came close to in their old one. It's even more telling that on top of having a small arena, Winnipeg's BEST percentage of capacity (89%) still would be one of the worst marks in the league even with how small the arena was.

I would have to say Chicago.

That minor league team they have here is pretty good. the Wolves I think they call them.

My first choice wouldn't be Stockholm to be honest. The arena there sucks even if it's quite big. Thing is there's enough support in Sweden for a couple NHL-size teams. My hometown regularly sells out every match - only approx 12 000 but considering the city is only 500k...

EDIT: I forgot to add where in the US/Canada I'd love a team. Well to be honest i think the nhl should shrink.

I agree now the eastern teams can jump on a plane for hours and have an equal to out crappy vancouver trips.

So its a lttle further, big deal.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I think Cleveland would be a great market for a team. Probably better off than Columbus. I say this because Columbus is such nothing city when you really look at it. There isn't all that much there. Plus Cleveland has a major sports team in every sport except the NHL. Columbus has the Jackets and that's it. I know the Jackets do get a decent draw fan wise, but I still think the team would serve better in Cleveland.

Not to mention that the Drew Carey Show was one of my favorite shows when it was still on. It's almost impossible to find re-runs on anymore, since TBS doesn't show it as much. Still good though. :P

Actually the Jackets draw pretty huge. I didn't go this year but for years I went to every Jackets Wings game and it was great. I think Nationwide Arena was voted one of the best venues in all of pro sports. As for the locale, its great. You're right there in the Arena district, there's good bars right outside the rink. Plus, if you just drive a couple miles down the road you hit campus and the main drag of bars and nightlife.

They draw huge and its a great area IMO.

I lived in Clevleand and i've spent alot of time in Columbus, trust me, Columbus is the best city for an NHL team between the big 3 in Ohio.

My sister moved to Cincinnati about 8 years ago and coming from MI she was used to hearing about the NHL and college hockey and all hockey for that matter 24-7. but since moving there there never talk about hockey they don't even talk about the blue jackets. Ohio doesn't need another team.

Stockholm, Sweden

Berlin, Germany

Helsinki, Finland

Moscow, Russia

London would be good(for me, but not really likely to happen), we are already getting two NHL regular season games in September :cool: