• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shadow47

Playoff Predictions

Rate this topic

If Vancouver can get their act together with their Power Play, they will push far in the playoffs. I think Vancouver can get all the way to the West Conf. Finals and play against Detroit. Whoever has home ice in that series will win it and then win the Cup, no matter who they face in the east.

Just my 2 cents. :D

That is, if Vancouver can hold onto the division lead and don't play Detroit in Round 1 in the 4/5 draw. If they win the division and Detroit doesn't (a definite possibility), it's feasible that they'd meet in Round 2 if either Anaheim or Nashville advanced. Either way, I'm guessing most people would prefer to avoid the Canucks at any point in the playoffs.

That said, I meant to post this in my earlier post (edited), but New Jersey won't get out of the first round. Brodeur has cracked in recent years when playoff time comes around, and NJ is not icing a powerhouse team this year to help him out. If they face off against Pittsburgh or Carolina, they will be far worse off than if they play the Rangers. I will be terribly surprised if they make it past the opening round.

West: San Jose over Anaheim

East: Buffalo over New Jersey

Finals: San Jose over Buffalo in 7 games. So in theory I'm sticking with my cup prediction from the beginning of the season.

Just for giggles let me post what I'd like to see more than anything.

Colorado makes the playoffs at the 8 spot, Wings win the central and the president's trophy. The two teams meet and it's a clean sweep with multiple shutouts for the Wings. Next round we face off against the Preds and handle them in 5, basically a sweep but this time we get to celebrate the final victory at home (ala Carolina 03.) Several fights erupt we somehow manage to win the bulk of them and a rivalry is born for next year. For the Western conference finals we fight Anaheim to 6 in a close back and forth series, no injuries on either side and Lidstrom manages to outperform both Pronger and Neidermayer's combined effort as we parade into the Stanley Cup finals against none other than the Toronto Maple Leafs, coming off an improbably run through the Eastern playoff picture.

It's an amazingly close series featuring several overtime wins for both sides that comes down to a triple overtime game 7, preferably on the weekend so I don't stumble into work drunkardly the next day. Bertuzzi scores the game winner and after hoisting the cup is greeted by a friendly Steve Moore who gives him a big hug saying he no longer harnesses any malice towards the big guy and drops his lawsuit entirely. They become best freinds and Bertuzzi agrees to sign a life long deal to the Wings for only 1 million a year stating it's the only place he'll ever call home again. Datsyuk averages 2 points a game and wins the Conn Smythe and following Bertuzzi's selfless example signs a modest 4 million a year agreement for the Wings.

It can happen right?

My playoff predicts are as followed:

Wings vs Nash...... W: Wings

Buffalo vs Ottawa....W: Buffalo

Wings vs Buffalo.....W: Wings

MVP: Datsyuk

Season Points Leader: Crosby

Season Assists: Thorton

Of course I made these predictions at the NHL All Star game with my roomate, who is a big Columbus fan ( I forgive him ) and he had the same prediction but instead has SJS for Nashville and had Buffalo winning. And I believe that the west will have the cup this year. All the skill is in the west. Look at our point totals compared to east and ontop of that its almost impossible to match up an eastern team with a western, besides Buffalo who is my second favourite team next to Vancouver. :o

Edited by poxer

I am hoping for a wings/ducks western final since I will be out in san diego and will sure as hell sell my soul for tickets to the pond when the wings come in

Frankly I do not know. But what I do know is that Jersey will come out of the East after beating the Sabres. The West, either us, Anahiem or Dallas...yes Dallas.

The Conn Smythe Trophy would be awarded to Mike Smith,right?

Why do you say that? Btw, Luongo needs 6 wins out of the last 9 games to break the NHL record for most wins in a season. 5 wins to tie it. Definitely possible.

Damn. Wasn't aware of that. Pretty insane.

I kinda like Vancouver's chances this year. Detroit's too if they have all their players back. Meh most teams currently sitting on a play-off spot seem ok in the West. The East is a lot more iffy esp if you consider how many teams are fighting for the last few spots. I'd love for either Toronto or the Rangers to make a run for it but I doubt that both will make the last 8. Buffalo is strong. NJ is strong. And I know Pittsburgh is going to scare a lot of people... We'll see how things develop.

I'd love a Toronto-Detroit final though. That would be insane. First Detroit - Nashville and NYR - Toronto, then the Leafs vs the Wings. That would just be so much fun I'd probably go insane and like rob a bank to buy tickets.

There's a better chance of Mark Mowers being inducted into the HOF than Datsyuk being a playoff MVP.

I have a different feeling. I think Datsyuk knows he needs to turn up his game this year in the playoffs. In fact, I think he will produce big numbers in the playoffs. If he keeps going the way he is, I forget what his point streak is now, then he will do just fine and be one of the biggest assets for the wings this year.

Rooting for the Wings is a given, but if I were BETTING on it...

In the East:

Buffalo/Toronto - Buffalo in 4

New Jersey/Carolina - NJ in 5

Atlanta/Tampa Bay - Atlanta in 6

Ottawa/Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 7

Buffalo/Pittsburgh - Buffalo in 6

New Jersey/Atlanta - New Jersey in 6

Buffalo/New Jersey - Buffalo in 7

In the West:

Nashville/Calgary - Nashville in 7

Anaheim/Minnesota - Anaheim in 5

Vancouver/Dallas - Vancouver in 4

Detroit/San Jose - San Jose in 6

Nashville/San Jose - San Jose in 5

Anaheim/Vancouver - Anaheim in 6

Anaheim/San Jose - San Jose in 7

Stanley Cup Finals:

Buffalo/San Jose - Buffalo in 6

West

1. DET

2. VAN

3. ANA

4. NAS

5. SJ

6. DAL

7. MIN

8. CAL

East

1. BUF

2. NJ

3. ATL

4. PIT

5. OTT

6. TB

7. CAR

8. NYI

1st Rd

DET over CAL in 6

VAN over MIN in 6

DAL over ANA in 7

NAS over SJ in 6

BUF over NYI in 4

NJ over CAR in 5

ATL over TB in 6

PIT over OTT in 7

2nd Rd

DET over DAL in 5

NAS over VAN in 6

BUF over PIT in 6

ATL over NJ in 7

Conf Finals

DET over NAS in 5

BUF over ATL in 6

SCF

DET over BUF in 6

I think the wings have a legitamate shot this year. I say the final will be between either detroit, san jose, buffalo or NJ, take you pick at the matchups, but these are the teams I can see making it to the finals.

***As of today's standings

West

1. NSH

2. ANA

3. VAN

4. DET

5. MIN

6. SJ

7. DAL

8. CGY

East

1. BUF

2. NJ

3. ATL

4. OTT

5. PIT

6. TB

7. NYR

8. CAR

1st Rd

NSH over CGY in 6

ANA over DAL in 5

VAN over SJ in 6

MIN over DET in 5

BUF over CAR in 5

NYR over NJ in 6

ATL over TB in 5

OTT over PIT in 6

2nd Rd

NSH over MIN in 5

ANA over VAN in 7

BUF over NYR in 6

OTT over ATL in 5

3rd Rd

ANA over NSH in 5

OTT over Buf in 7

SC Finals

ANA over OTT in 7

Notes: I don't see Detroit getting past the 1st round unless they play Dallas. After watching them get totally owned in back-to-back playoff-like games I don't see us beating any other teams in the West. We're still a classic regular season team that can't handle aggressive forechecks, can't solve the trap and can't take over the middle of the ice. Both Vancouver and Calgary easily took away the middle ice and we had nobody besides Jiri Hudler and Kyle Calder attempt to drive to the net.

I know we didn't have Zetts and Bert in the lineup but the in both those games we took a lot of penalites and it wasn't because of poor officiating. It was because both teams kept moving their feet and beating us to loose pucks, forcing our boys to hook and grab (sound familiar?). I hope I'm wrong but I saw too many things the past 2 games that reminded me of the last 3 early playoff exits.

I'm not sold on Buffalo either. The reason why I took Ottawa to make it out of the East is that I believe they have the most regulation wins over the top 10 teams in that conference. Both Buffalo and Pittsburgh have been feasting off of 4-on-4 play in OT and the shootouts. That won't be available to them in the playoffs. Plus, I think Buffalo is going to run into injury problems again. If Ottawa doesn't win it, I can see New Jersey making it to the finals again. I had them losing in the 1st round because there's always a 1st round upset and because I despise the Devils and their boring-ass organization I'm hoping it's them.

If Pronger comes back 100% I don't see anyteam that can slow them down. They are the most balanced team in the NHL with both offense, defense, goaltending and grit. And anytime you can have at least one of two Norris Trophy winners, in their prime, on the ice for the entire game I think you've got the upperhand.

But what do I know? It'll probably be VAN, MIN, OTT, NJ in the final 4 with Vancouver winning the Cup.

As a Canadian, I'd love to see Ott and Van in the finals.

Edited by Hank