• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Vancouver Wings Fan

Vancouver Wings Fan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:00 AM

I am no Canucks fan....I am trapped here as a Wings fan watching these guys claw their way up the standings.

They are only 3 points from Detroit and 4 from the lead in the conference - they have the best record in hockey since Christmas.

They are not a dynamic team - really 1 solid line and a stellar goalie - but they do not lose!! I have been telling people back home to watch out for these guys but people think I'm nuts.

I don't think the Wings could take these guys in a 7 game series. Am I crazy!!?? scared.gif

#2 alienanxiety

alienanxiety

Medical

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

They seemed to creep up on me too. On paper, they are a pretty s***ty team. At season's start I had them out of the playoffs. But a dynamite workhorse goalie can turn around a team quick. They sort of remind me of Buffalo when Hasek took them deep into the playoffs. I think they are a very scary team. The only x-factor is Luongo's playoff experience. He could pull a Turco and cave under pressure. Someting tells me he won't. If the Wings get passed the first round, then I see them meetong Vanouver in the conference finals.

#3 bringback91

bringback91

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

It's been proven time and again, anything can happen in a 7 game series. Vancover by no means is "unbeatable".

#4 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

Its all because of their Goalie.........I mean he is fricken unstoppable!

#5 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

They're hot right now, but lots of teams take turns looking invincible. It was Anaheim for a while, Nashville had their turn, San Jose, etc.

Anaheim and San Jose are the teams to beat in the conference. The rest of the teams are a step below them. Vancouver could win the West the same way any other playoff team could win it: Anything can happen.
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#6 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Superman54 @ March 22, 2007 - 09:34AM) View Post

You means he plays extremely "Stoppable" in the net?

tongue.gif
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#7 swedishseven

swedishseven

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:36 AM

i did get sick of hearing "luongo the save!" on saturday..

#8 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(Vancouver Wings Fan @ March 22, 2007 - 11:00AM) View Post

I don't think the Wings could take these guys in a 7 game series. Am I crazy!!?? scared.gif

I have to agree with the LCS Hockey guys. I think the best matchup Detroit could get in the playoffs is Vancouver. Don't let the head to head games between them this year fool you. The Red Wings would cause massive matchup problems for the Canucks.

Of course, for that to happen, the Wings have to get out of the first round. Calgary, San Jose, those are bigger problems for the Wings.

"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#9 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:50 AM

Not to mention that we are still not 100% healthy and Dom let in a weak goal. Add in those factors into a PLAYOFF series and I think Dom doesn't take that dive and V's defense has more problems because they have to shut down 2 scoring lines.

EDIT: Dom let in the soft goal vs. Calgary. But the logic is the same, he won't take stupid risks like that in the playoffs against any team.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 22 March 2007 - 10:54 AM.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#10 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Superman54 @ March 22, 2007 - 10:34AM) View Post

There's a team there too. Since Christmas the Canucks are top ten in scoring, and the scoring comes from all 4 lines and the defense.

It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#11 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ March 22, 2007 - 11:36AM) View Post

You means he plays extremely "Stoppable" in the net?

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

#12 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

Let's "hope" for this

1. Nashville
2. Anaheim
3. Vancouver
4. Detroit
5. Dallas
6. San Jose
7. Minnesota
8. Calgary

So:

Nashville vs Calgary - Calgary in 7 (extremely physical series - lots of long overtimes)
Anaheim vs Minnesota - Wild in 7 (extremely physical series - lots of long overtimes)
Vancouver vs San Jose - Canucks in 7 (extremely physical series -lots of long overtimes
Detroit vs Dallas - Detroit in 6 (moderately physical series - no overtimes

So yeah, let San Jose fall victim to Luongo and the hot Canucks

Then Detroit would get Minny in round 2, and Vancouver and Calgary could proceed to destroy one and other.

Soung good?

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#13 Hossa

Hossa

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

it's the typical misconception of any hockey fan from the east who thinks the Canucks are doing so great all because of Luongo.

if you have actually followed the Canucks closely since Christmas you would know their consistent success is not ALL due to Luongo.

they play smart, they don't make mistakes, and they follow their system to a T. they also have one of the most underrated, deep defensive core in the league. and their special teams are solid.

basically, the Canucks are the New Jersey Devils of the West.

#14 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Hossa @ March 22, 2007 - 04:14PM) View Post

basically, the Canucks are the New Jersey Devils of the West.

I just said the exact same thing to my Dad earlier today.

#15 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

Yes the nucks scare me for once... There a very good team at shutting down great teams, like last sat, and just last night... they have a great goalie.. The only thing though is that Lou has never been to the playoffs, so if he doesn't start resting soon i think he'll be tired and s*** the bed come playoffs.. The playoffs is a different type of hockey thats all im saying
IPB Image

#16 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,857 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

The wings shouldn't have a problem so long as they get out of their annoying habit of shooting directly into the pads of the goalie come playoff time.

#17 Hank

Hank

60% of the time it works everytime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Vancouver Wings Fan @ March 22, 2007 - 11:00AM) View Post

I am no Canucks fan....I am trapped here as a Wings fan watching these guys claw their way up the standings.

They are only 3 points from Detroit and 4 from the lead in the conference - they have the best record in hockey since Christmas.

They are not a dynamic team - really 1 solid line and a stellar goalie - but they do not lose!! I have been telling people back home to watch out for these guys but people think I'm nuts.

I don't think the Wings could take them in 5 game series. I think the only two teams the Wings have a shot against are San Jose and Dallas. And even then, Dallas is probably the best bet.
If Detroit faces Vancouver, Minnesota or Calgary in the 1st round, they are finished.

Vancouver plays very similar to how Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton played them the last 3 playoffs. And we all know how those series' turned out.

#18 CrazyCanuck

CrazyCanuck

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(wingslogo19 @ March 22, 2007 - 03:28PM) View Post

Yes the nucks scare me for once... There a very good team at shutting down great teams, like last sat, and just last night... they have a great goalie.. The only thing though is that Lou has never been to the playoffs, so if he doesn't start resting soon i think he'll be tired and s*** the bed come playoffs.. The playoffs is a different type of hockey thats all im saying

The crazy thing about Luongo is...he doesnt WANT rest. He plays his best when he is playing the most. I wouldn't be surprised if Sabourin only sees one more game the rest of this season. Louie is a workhorse.
IPB Image

#19 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(Hank @ March 22, 2007 - 04:35PM) View Post

I don't think the Wings could take them in 5 game series. I think the only two teams the Wings have a shot against are San Jose and Dallas. And even then, Dallas is probably the best bet.
If Detroit faces Vancouver, Minnesota or Calgary in the 1st round, they are finished.

Vancouver plays very similar to how Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton played them the last 3 playoffs. And we all know how those series' turned out.

You are earning the reputation of "one of the most pessimistic members of LGW" tongue.gif

Seriosuly though, were this year's playoff team last year's playoff team, Detroit would have advanced over Edmonton.

#20 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,857 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(Hank @ March 22, 2007 - 02:35PM) View Post

Yeah but we have Bertuzzi and Calder, two players who are more than willing to chase the puck into the corner after dumping it in, and often times can come out of the corners with it. I don't think the trap will be as effective this year as it has in the past. We have more grit to our team, and thats going to go a long way.

Edited by Echolalia, 22 March 2007 - 02:47 PM.